Angels of Ecstasy WIP (Updated January 12, 2014)

AtlasDM

Hello everyone and welcome! This is going to be my WIP thread for my Angels of Ecstasy chapter Chaos Space Marines. A little background on the army so far: I started this project back in June as a small army to accompany my Red Scorpions chapter loyalist marines. Originally this army was going to be for my girlfriend so I could teach her how to play and we could share a hobby. She said she would give it a try as long as she could paint her army pink so I talked her in to CSM so if she didn't like it I would at least have something I wanted. Long story short, I talked in to doing all the painting myself. I learned from experience that pink isn't exactly fun to paint because it requires more skill than I had when I started. After a handful of crappy looking models I gave up and packed everything away. Now I'm re-starting the project after coming across this topic started by Bonzi and getting re-motivated.

I'm going to try to update once a week, maybe more if I'm not too busy with my legal studies. If I don't respond right away please don't take offense.

So here is my work so far. So far tonight I pulled all the arms off the old models I painted and rearranged weapons to match my army list. Then I glued everything back together. Still needs some paint and I have 13 more marines left to assemble and paint scattered across my table.

Chaos Lord

Above is my Chaos Lord. I used a daemonette head and a claw from a Possessed for a counts-as lightning claw. This model will eventually be replaced with a Biker Chaos Lord.

Noise Marine Champion

This is my Noise Marine Champion.

NM w/ Blast Master

Noise Marines with a Blast Master. This weapon will eventually be replaced with a "heavy sonic gun" from Spellcrow Miniatures.

Noise Marines

More marines with just bolters.

Whole Army (9-Jan-14)

Finally, the whole family together for a picture.

I apologize about the picture quality and light. My phone makes everything look kind of orange for some reason. Maybe I'll convince my girlfriend to use her fancy camera and take some good close up photos in the future.

While I'm always glad to see Slaaneshi marines... Pink just makes my eyes bleed.

I like the kitbash on your lord, but I feel like he's missing some bits. Something to make him look lordly. As of now, he just looks like an adoring champion to me. For your next batch of marines, try some dynamic posing. These guys are a little too static.

It's hard to comment on the paint with the orange tint. Did you highlight these guys at all?

My two creds.

While I'm always glad to see Slaaneshi marines... Pink just makes my eyes bleed.

I like the kitbash on your lord, but I feel like he's missing some bits. Something to make him look lordly. As of now, he just looks like an adoring champion to me. For your next batch of marines, try some dynamic posing. These guys are a little too static.

It's hard to comment on the paint with the orange tint. Did you highlight these guys at all?

My two creds.

I'm sorry to butt in here, but I have to ask... is Adoring Champion an actual, fluffy title that I've somehow missed?  Because it should be, if it isn't.

I like Adoring Champion. Much more suitable than Aspiring. Nice pink too.

The images are a little small to judge any shadows or highlights (I'm on my mobile so don't judge please) but I agree about the static poses. I did the same with my early marine models. From looking at others here the trick seems to be focus on building one at a time.

Keep it up and keep posting :tu:

My two creds.

There's no highlights yet, I haven't even painted the arms at all on some of the models but I'll get around to it.

As for dynamic poses, I get what you mean, but other than turn their heads there really isn't any way to make a bolter marine more dynamic. I know they look cookie-cutter but truthfully they are. I'll see if I can find any useful arms and such in my bitbox before I work on the rest of the marines, then I can add a couple more poses to the mix.

And yes the Lord is missing something. Originally I wanted to make the Lord using some spare bits that were fairly cheap because I wasn't sure if I was going to commit to a full army. The head, claw, and cape totaled roughly $10 after shipping Once I get my Biker Lord modeled I'm going to turn the existing lord in to an aspiring champion and I'll most likely model my other champions in a similar fashion with daemonette heads. I really wanted to do something incorporating feminine looking power armor and I saw a nice conversion tutorial but the company that produced the female power armor torsos has since gone out of business so I settled for a simpler model.

Here's an update with this weekend's work. I now have 500 points worth of Noise Marines assembled and playable. I have three models left to paint, three blastmasters that need finishing (after I get the conversion bits from Spellcrow), and one Aspiring Champion that needs conversion bits. Then they will all get based and clear coated together. After I finish this little bit of work I'm going to begin expanding my army by 250-300 points at a time until I reach my goal of 2,000 points (combined CSM and Daemons). In the meantime I'm going to try and get some games in so I can get a better idea of what direction I want to go with my purchases.

First the bits waiting to be assembled.

0110141241a

The last Noise Marines are finally assembled.

It was raining and I was impatient so I decided to  spray them with primer... indoors.

0110141410a

Taking proper steps to ensure I don't suffocate (and get a cool selfie lol).

Primed.

At this point I got the pink on and I was surprised it covered really well in just one coat. Then I did TONS of detail work on all my existing marines as well as the ones I recently primed but I forgot to take any pictures. Sorry.

IMG 0573

Finally this is a close up of one of the Noise Marines so you can see the eyes. I mixed a custom green for them because I literally have never bought a pot of green paint and I didn't feel like fighting traffic on the way to the hobby store. The mix is a 2:1:1:1 ratio of Yrial Yellow, Lothern Blue, Bleached Bone, and Clear Medium. I'm really happy with how it turned out. I know it's a tiny speck but it contrasts perfectly with the pink and really brings life to the models.

There are a couple ways I've found to try to make bolter-armed models look a bit more dynamic or interesting. Since we have a background-established capacity for looting other Space Marine armor marks, I'll often mix in different arms doing stuff, like the pointing arm, grenade throwing arm, etc. and have the other arm hold the bolter with the standard cross-body grip, holding it like one would a pistol with pistol arms, resting it on the hip with the left arm holding the body of the gun. You could just glue the bolter to his waist (mag-locks) while his hands do other things. Further, I have one Aspiring Champion holding his bolter like a pistol in one hand and with a looted Sanguinary Guard arm standing in for his bolt pistol- he's my Havoc Champion so I figured he should be down with his dakka.

Additionally, mixing other legs in (like kneeling or running legs from Devastator/Assault or Raptor kits) gives you further combinations to work with. Or with some creative cutting and stuff you could show a Marine reloading.

Just some thoughts to alleviate the phenomena of "every bolter model looks more or less the same."

I pulled some bits from my space marines and added a couple guys with a bolt pistol in one hand and a bolter in the other, I also have one marine with the pointing arm and a boltgun. I might try and get a couple grenade arms or some reloading arms for when I assemble another squad.

The next step in my project is going to be a detachment of allied daemons. I'll be modeling a Herald of Slaanesh and a squad of Daemonettes. This will probably be done using the WHF Dark Elf Sorceress and Sisters of Slaughter as the base models and Daemonette claws/heads as I'm not a fan of the androgynous daemonette models.

Archived