Veteran Sergeants, or not?

RazorDaemon

I noticed that the BA Codex doesn't specifically mention of the Sergeants are Vets or not, not even in the Sternguard and Vanguard (though those two obviously are). In the Vanilla Space Marine Codex they have the option to take either Vet or normal Sergeant in a Tactical Squad, the main difference apparently being the normal Sergeant has the same stat line as a standard Marine and the Vet Sergeant has a second attack just like the entire Sternguard squad does. Since the Sergeant profile for a Blood Angel Tactical Squad has the second attack, would that mean he is a Veteran Sergeant and BAs simply don't have standard Sergeants?

On that same note, I was wondering how would a Veteran Sergeant of a Tactical Squad rank, compared to a Veteran Squad. Is he the same, just happened to be chosen/assigned to head the Tactical Squad, or would he be on par with the Sergeant of the actual Veteran Squad, just happens to not be leading other Vets?

I noticed that the BA Codex doesn't specifically mention of the Sergeants are Vets or not, not even in the Sternguard and Vanguard (though those two obviously are). In the Vanilla Space Marine Codex they have the option to take either Vet or normal Sergeant in a Tactical Squad, the main difference apparently being the normal Sergeant has the same stat line as a standard Marine and the Vet Sergeant has a second attack just like the entire Sternguard squad does. Since the Sergeant profile for a Blood Angel Tactical Squad has the second attack, would that mean he is a Veteran Sergeant and BAs simply don't have standard Sergeants?

Yes, they're Veteran Sergeants. The "no-mandatory-veteran" Tactical squad was re-introduced with C:DA if I remember correctly, and C:SM continued the trend. Fluff-wise, we have normal sergeants as well as veteran sergeants, rule-wise there's no real difference. You could distinguish your veterans from the normal sergeants by the colour of their back-banner, which is black for veteran sergeants and red for regular sergeants. 

On that same note, I was wondering how would a Veteran Sergeant of a Tactical Squad rank, compared to a Veteran Squad. Is he the same, just happened to be chosen/assigned to head the Tactical Squad, or would he be on par with the Sergeant of the actual Veteran Squad, just happens to not be leading other Vets?

According to the fluff now, the Veteran Sergeant of the first Tactical Squad in a company will temporarily hold the place of the Captain when he falls in battle, to keep the chain of command intact and to continue the mission/campaign/you get the idea. In that case, even a promotion might be in order.

All Veteran Sergeants used to be part of the 1. company, however then got assigned to lead the different squads in a battle company. Spreads the experience and knowledge of a Veteran all over the companies.

So yes, from what I see, the Veteran Sergeant in any squad has the same rank as any other Veteran Sergeant from the 1. company, he's just happening to not lead a squad of Veterans.

Snorri

Archived