Command squad question

Darktemplar10

Thanks. So I guess apothecary is a maybe.

One more question. What is the best weapon load out for command squad with banner of devastation?

So far I have

-Banner of devastation (soon to have special weapon now I think lol)

-apothecary

-champion

-vet. /plasmagun

-vet. /melta gun

To me the Banner of Devastation in a foot command unit is such a priority target that it has to be kept hidden and protected some how, out of LoS or in a vehicle for example. But if you do this then the command squad never gets a chance to get in the fight and so any upgrades to increase their combat effectiveness are wasted points. Maybe I'd take the apothecary upgrade if I had the points spare, but normally I prefer to keep the unit with no upgrades other than the banner and then stick them in a Crusader.

Banner, apothecary, bolt pistols and CCWs for the rest. Ride around in a Crusader, maybe hop out and finish a depleted unit in close combat on turn 4 or 5. Works out ok as long as the Crusader isn't blown up. If you give the squad more upgrades, you'll be tempted to disembark too soon to put them into use, and then your opponent will (at least should) shoot the whole command squad in one go.

A Crusader wreck is also a good place to stay behind, it should block LOS for a few units at least and give a cover save against other shooting.

I echo the above. If you want the command squad for the banner, just give apothecary for resilience, and keep squad safe in cover and preferably out of LoS.

If you want the command squad for agressive options then forget the banner... but then again if you want agression, might s well go for a company veteran squad so you can have more comi weapons and bodies.

Archived