Stormraven Gunship first turn

Butters

So the rules say that a flyer moving at combat speed or cruising may shoot up to 4 of its weapons.  With a Storm Raven could I shoot all 4 of its storm strike missiles?  In addition since it arrives from reserves it would (step 1) move onto the table, (2) then have a movement phase, (3) as well as shooting, so it could zoom on its first turn onto the table? 

Finally if it does not zoom the book says that it is treated as a Hovering Unit (Fast Skimmer).  Under Skimmer it says if it is fast it can move 18" so:

Zooming:

Combat Speed  - 18" (no less) fires 4 weapons.

Cruising Speed - 18" - 36" (no less than 18") 4 weapons

Hover:

Combat Speed - 12" fires all weapons

Flat Out -  18" all weapons

Just wondering if I have the rules correct on this before I make a fool of myself at a tournament. 

Thanks

Good thing you asked first! Here's what you need to read:

Page 81: Missiles.

Page 124: Arriving From Reserves.

Page 83: Shooting With Fast Vehicles.

To summarize:

- Only 2 missiles per turn, no more.

- Your move onto the table from Reserves is your movement phase.

- Fast Skimmers can:

--> Move Combat Speed (0.1"-6") and fire all weapons normally.

--> Move Cruising Speed (6.1"-12") and fire two weapons normally, the rest are Snap Shots.

--> Go Flat Out instead of shooting, and gain another 18" of movement during the shooting phase and Jink

Why would you argue that though?

The rules for missiles say only 2 can be fired per turn. The rules for PotMS say one more weapon can be fired than normal. The rules for fliers tend to let them fire 4 weapons a turn, but the rules for missiles still supersedes this. I don't believe PotMS supersedes the rules for missiles. You can fire 4 weapons a turn with a flier, 2 of which can be missiles. You can fire a 5th weapon as well, should you have one, but if you've fire 2 missiles, it cannot be on a missile as you've used your 2 missiles for the turn.

The problem is that PotMS is not in the codex. ;)

I find quoting the rules helps for debates...usually.

BRB, p.40: "...the vehicle can fire one more weapon at its full Ballistic Skill than normally permitted."

BRB, p.81: "A maximum of two missiles can be fired per Shooting phase, and they count towards the number of weapons fired that turn."

Have at it!

well if the rule says,  p.81: "A maximum of two missiles can be fired per Shooting phase, and they count towards the number of weapons fired that turn" , then I would assume that 2 missiles fired together is 1 weapon.  Otherwise it would say "...and they EACH count SEPARATELY towards the number of weapons...."

And on the movement.  When you arrive via reserves you do not get to move so it comes in straight on the edge of the table. Right?

well if the rule says,  p.81: "A maximum of two missiles can be fired per Shooting phase, and they count towards the number of weapons fired that turn" , then I would assume that 2 missiles fired together is 1 weapon.  Otherwise it would say "...and they EACH count SEPARATELY towards the number of weapons...."

That's an...unusual version of English that's I've not encountered before.

Naaah POTMS allows you to fire an additional weapon than would normally be permitted. I've used it to fire 3 missiles a turn since the first day I fielded the Raven.

Edit: no one has ever argued this in at least two dozen games!

Naaah POTMS allows you to fire an additional weapon than would normally be permitted. I've used it to fire 3 missiles a turn since the first day I fielded the Raven.

Edit: no one has ever argued this in at least two dozen games!

Just because you've been doing it that way doesn't mean it's the right way. Nothing in PotmS overrides the restriction on the number of missiles you can fire in a turn.

Archived