What if Cypher is not only loyal, but the greatest spy ever?

BruvaVolks

Okay so we know what the Cypher has done, where he has been and possibly where he's going. However there is another theory of who exactly he is. What if he is not only loyal, but the greatest deniable operative in the history of ever. Think about it, the Dark Angels cannot possibly capture the fallen without espionage or some from of intelligence gathering. Yes the Interrogators do there best but they are worthless if they don't know who to capture and send to interrogation. And most spies are a dime-a-dozen and they wouldn't last long before a) getting killed by the traitors and or Chaos they are attempting to infiltrate or cool.png they fall to the taint of the warp which will happen unless your either lucky or tau. Now this is where my theory comes in, the Lord Cypher or Cypher as it would be proper, is a spy for the Dark Angels and has been feeding the Unforgiven intelligence for the longest time. And why do they keep shooting at him and keep hunting him. To add to his cover, that's whats brilliant about it Chaos and the Fallen will trust him if he is actively pursed by the Unforgiven

I mean lets look at the track record, yes he's been allied with chaos, yes he has been apart of cults. However isn't it odd that not only does he disappear right as the cult is rolf stomped by the Dark Angels and the Unforgiven he has even assisted in fighting and fought against the cults he was once apart of. I think this maybe actually true cause in terms of 40k this is the most 40k theory so I think it's pretty solid.

Personally, I think that the Heresy novels are setting the stage for Cypher being loyal to the Lion, and the vision of the secular Imperium held by the Emperor, but not loyal to the shambling mass of superstition and autocracy that the Imperium has ended up becoming.

Expect fireworks if Jonson ever does wake up! ;)

Makes sense. I believe he may very well be the most loyal of the Lion's sons... after all, he had to be on hand for the fight with Luther to get the Lion's Sword. So it stands to reason that he would be in a position to receive the last direct command of the Primarch.

It's relatively well known that if you map out the cypher sightings over time, he's spiraling inward towards terra.  It's also been suggested that the Emperor not only didn't want to be deified, but that he did not want to become the vegetable that he is today, that he was enthroned in the golden commode against his will (personally, his psychic abilities scare the pants off of Ahriman, so I'm skeptical).  So what about this...cypher is making his way to terra to either kill the emperor (bye bye interstellar travel) outright (he's a bad guy), or he's on his way to terra to kill the emperor and cause him to be reborn (hallelujah, bye bye chaos, and probably nids and orks, too...tau...if they kiss the ring, may serve.)

After reading Book of The Lion I can confirm your words brother march10k,

*Spoiler below*

The Emperor indeed is entombed against his will but he is slowly dying, the point is that chaos gods understand what Emprah plan is once he is free of his mortal shell and they are willing to do whatever it takes to preserve their existence and keep him as a veggie. This idea is old and dates back to The Eye of Terror wars, with all that "just as planned" ideology.

What part of the Book of the Lion confirms that, Larhendiel?  I was avoiding buying it since I'd read at least half the material at one point or another, but if there's juicy tidbits like that, I might reconsider!

• 8 months later...

Here's what I've postulated thus far...

1.he is omegon, maybe even alpharius...maybe even the 2 combined

(take note,not only of their individual dealings but of the significance in their numbers legion-wise as well as the prophecy surrounding alpha legion)

2.he is the last surviving member of the order of Lupus

3.he is a Watcher in the Dark who was given or stole Dark Angel gene-seed(if given,it'd have been by lion el'johnson himself)

4.he is an enforcer,if not the main enforcer,of a now even more clandestine Cabal(THE cabal)

5: cypher is some embodiment, fragment, or minor(/incomplete) (re)incarnation of the emperor or a revenant controlled directly by his will.

Thoughts?opinions?

Consider this...

Cypher was leading the rebels to Luther in Caliban that repainted their armour total green...

After the Fall of Caliban all the Legion repainted their armours green...

The DW history about repainting their armours from black to bone is nearly the same to the history of the repainting the PA to green...

Some members of the IC still think that Cypher is still loyal..

Strangely enough Cypher attracts the Fallen that are suddenly captured or killed by the Unforgiven while Cypher always manage to escape...

To my eyes Cypher is not a Fallen but a spy of the Ubforgiven on a secret mission gave him by the Lion himself...

• 2 weeks later...

Frankly... all I will say, is that I hope Gav will use up the full potential of his build-up, that he did on Master of Sanctity.

- This was a book that did raise more than a few eye-brows for me, at multiple moments. So I will for now stick with "come what may".

- The Emperor played with high stakes his game against the galaxy, winning every roll of dice against them all. Yet I still somehow think this present situation might have been a systematic/calculating call from him; as a long term plan. The universe holds indeed much of other threats besides the ones that are represented in Army Books. Threats that have existed long before the dawn of man, and in terms of that, only the Lion had his "untrusting nature" with the Emperor.

- I hope neither of them were wrong.

I don't think anything is a coincidence, I've lived long enough to see that, but I don't think the case of Cypher is a subject of "good or bad", "black or white". What ever it is... it will be a shade of grey, and something I am not certain if I want to know.

- Let's see who will answer The Emperor's Final Carrion Call, besides the Lion, Russ, Guilliman, and hopefully Jaghatai Khan.

Frankly... all I will say, is that I hope Gav will use up the full potential of his build-up, that he did on Master of Sanctity.

- This was a book that did raise more than a few eye-brows for me, at multiple moments. So I will for now stick with "come what may".

- The Emperor played with high stakes his game against the galaxy, winning every roll of dice against them all. Yet I still somehow think this present situation might have been a systematic/calculating call from him; as a long term plan. The universe holds indeed much of other threats besides the ones that are represented in Army Books. Threats that have existed long before the dawn of man, and in terms of that, only the Lion had his "untrusting nature" with the Emperor.

- I hope neither of them were wrong.

I don't think anything is a coincidence, I've lived long enough to see that, but I don't think the case of Cypher is a subject of "good or bad", "black or white". What ever it is... it will be a shade of grey, and something I am not certain if I want to know.

- Let's see who will answer The Emperor's Final Carrion Call, besides the Lion, Russ, Guilliman, and hopefully Jaghatai Khan.

So I take a bit of offense at your lack of Corax, and perhaps a bit at the possibility of Dorn (minus a hand). But great points.

Archived