Dreadnoughts

Seleucus

I have got my Termies built and am now waiting for some dry days to spray undercoat.

In the meantime, I'm putting together an LRR/C (magnets), and looking to build some Dreadnoughts.

The latter is where I have some queries for you.

Whilst I have some spare arms and weapons to allow magnetising, what are the best loadouts currently for:

a ) gunline/walking Dreads with DW?

b )drop podding Dreads with DW?

c ) any different loadouts on Ven Dreads?

I can make Mortis Dreads, but have no Contemptor models.

My personal fave is a Ven. Dread, with MM and a HFlamer in a pod to pop down T1 behind enemy lines to give them something to worry about whilst my foot slogging (non DWA Termies) close the gap, before a T2 DWA. It's a very high threat target to a lot of things, and must be dealt with or it'll (hopefully) chew through things!

I also like to employ the 'rifleman' dreads in pairs with a tech marine / libby totting PFG when needing back field fire support. Keeps it fluffy too, but Preds are also a great option.

I haven't played about much with other loadouts as of yet however, but the asscan and storm bolter combo looks pretty stable on paper and makes a cool looking model :)

Thankfully the way he arms mount you don't really need to worry about magnets, or so I've found.

Hope that helps a little.

contemptor mortis pattern w/ kheser assault cannons and cyclone ML. you can never really go wrong with that IMO. as long as the weapons are correct and you can make a clear differance from a contemptor, most people wouldn't care if its the real model or not.

contemptor mortis pattern w/ kheser assault cannons and cyclone ML. you can never really go wrong with that IMO. as long as the weapons are correct and you can make a clear differance from a contemptor, most people wouldn't care if its the real model or not.

Pyro didn't read the post, lol.  He doesn't have Contemptors.  

WIth Deathwing, I find that if I would generally rather have more Terminators than the Dreadnought unless I have access to Mortis rules.  While Dreadnoughts are decent in CC, things that can't hurt them can generally get away from them.  

If I have Mortis rules, Mortis Auto Cannons is great anti-air support, and I find myself taking my pair in really large games, or to tournaments if I know I am facing a Flying Circus...

Paul

Best I've found is using them in pods. If I need to have some Melta then Multi Melta but my best loadout for Ven Dreads is Assault Cannon and heavy flamer. The problem is you have to support them. If you drop them alone then they will die first turn unless your opponent ignores them but I've never had that happen. Walking Twin Link Autocannon does the great mid strength thing but I've found its not worth the points anymore. I usually use the Ven Assault Cannon load out with my greenwing. Drop pod in a Tac Squad and a Dread next to them for support. Usually gives a good set of mass regular infantry and heavy support. Just my 2 cents.

Well, I would think about it in terms of the the rest of your army. What will it struggle to deal with? Hordes? Power armour? Then use the dreadnought to fill out some of those gaps.

The more aggressive use, as mentioned above, is to drop pod it in and give your opponent a headache to deal with, but it does depend on your play style and the type of opponent you face.

If you need anti-air, then go Mortis - I haven't tried it myself yet, but I suspect it will worry most opponents!

Just what Gillyfish says, figure out what role it needs to play to support the rest of your force and the weapons loadout for that role.

For DA we are usually looking for anti-air so dual autocannon or lascannon mortis pattern dreads are the best for the budget concious.

For anti-infantry then assault cannon/heavy flamer.

For long range anti-armour it's lascannon/missile launcher or dual lascannon mortis.

For anti-armour support for frontline troops or drop pod deployment use multi-melta/heavy flamer.

That's the main ones there are some others like dual flamers that are more situational that you can build if you want to list tailor against specific opponents in pick up games at your LGS but that's a whole other story.

I use my dreadnoughts in one of two ways (three if you count the 'shoot em till they're dead' contemptor-mortis):

* Venerable dreadnought with heavy flamer and either a multimelta or assault cannon, in a drop pod with a locator beacon. The dreadnought is an in your face threat that should do some damage before being destroyed and distract attention from the pod that will guide the turn 2 Deathwing assault.

* Mortis dreadnought with twin-linked lascannons. Fantastic anti-tank capability for the price. High strength and accurate shots at long range, able to walk 6" per turn without loss of firepower. I keep him at the back, using the movement to get the lines of fire I want while denying line of sight, or at least gaining cover, from return fire.

Lucky you Gilly. I'm considering dropping the £50 (or whatever it is) as it now seems a must-have as a DA Codex extension.

Add on my Allies' Inquisition and Grey Knights Codexes, my DA gaming is getting very expensive :D

Cheers

I

In terms of anti-air units, Mortis dreads (both Mk V and Contemptor) and Land Speeder Tempest are particularly appropriate for the DA from a background point of view. All fo them can be taken by Codex marines, but not necessarily by other marine variants (if memory serves).

In terms of anti-air units, Mortis dreads (both Mk V and Contemptor) and Land Speeder Tempest are particularly appropriate for the DA from a background point of view. All fo them can be taken by Codex marines, but not necessarily by other marine variants (if memory serves).

You have to pick up the FAQ for it now because they never listed BA in the book at all and I think same for C:=][= so they have added those in. I like the tempests afterburner rule as it states that it turns the speeder into a zooming flyer period, so RAW you can take a 90 point flyer in your army. I know it sounds strange but I've read through it twice and that's how it looks to me but you have to forgo a turn of shooting and it kinda sounds like you can't adjust your speed. Still if you ignite the afterburners at the start of your first turn when you are least likely to shoot you can gain some additional protection for the speeder. 

Mortis is mean. My friends Storm Raven arrives turn 2. He flies around shoots thing with assault cannons etc. My turn Mortis bangs 2 lascannons on its side, it explodes and for once Murphy is not my side, so 3 Centurions bite the dust. Two shots from 155P unit took out almost 500P worth enemy units. This is good pay back for having my Nephilim being shot down by a plasma pistol... :P

Mortis is mean. My friends Storm Raven arrives turn 2. He flies around shoots thing with assault cannons etc. My turn Mortis bangs 2 lascannons on its side, it explodes and for once Murphy is not my side, so 3 Centurions bite the dust. Two shots from 155P unit took out almost 500P worth enemy units. This is good pay back for having my Nephilim being shot down by a plasma pistol... tongue.png

Mortis contemptors are meaner I did the maths for them last night and with two kheres assault cannons (S6, AP4, Heavy 6, Rending) you get 8 hits on average rolls and 1.33 rends v AV12 which is only ~0.15 higher than both regular mortis variants. However because rending is the limiting step once you achieve that then penetrating AV13 and AV14 is much easier with dual kheres assault cannons, almost 30% easier vs AV13 when compared to a dual tl-las mortis.

It's all purely due to the amount of bullets kheres assault cannons put out though and the 24" range is a bit of a hindrance but with the higher AV and invulnerable save they are perfect for the way I like to play dreadnoughts.

All my dreads are Mk 5 Mortis in Lucius pods.  High value yes, but anti-air and anti-armour all in one small profile package.  pair them up with a PFG-toting Techmarine on a bike, and you have a pretty solid firebase.

All my dreads are Mk 5 Mortis in Lucius pods.  High value yes, but anti-air and anti-armour all in one small profile package.  pair them up with a PFG-toting Techmarine on a bike, and you have a pretty solid firebase.

Well, that makes really little sense...

Lucius Pods are Assault Vehicle Drop Pods

Mortis Dreads are range fire support

Mortis Dreads lose Skyfire if they move

Arriving via a Pod counts as Moving

Drop Pod is a 65 point free KP.  

Mk V Dread is already a free KP.  ;)  

I assume you're doing some back-arc jankness against vehicles?

Paul

All my dreads are Mk 5 Mortis in Lucius pods. High value yes, but anti-air and anti-armour all in one small profile package. pair them up with a PFG-toting Techmarine on a bike, and you have a pretty solid firebase.

Well, that makes really little sense...

Lucius Pods are Assault Vehicle Drop Pods

Mortis Dreads are range fire support

Mortis Dreads lose Skyfire if they move

Arriving via a Pod counts as Moving

Drop Pod is a 65 point free KP.

Mk V Dread is already a free KP. msn-wink.gif

I assume you're doing some back-arc jankness against vehicles?

Paul

Well, that makes really little sense... To you maybe, but I won't hold it against you

Lucius Pods are Assault Vehicle Drop Pods they're also the only Pod available to Mk 5 Mortis

Mortis Dreads are range fire support uh-huh...huh.png there's no rule that says you must only place them in your own backfield

Mortis Dreads lose Skyfire if they move ok...huh.png I don't intend them for just AA, hope you don't mind...

Arriving via a Pod counts as Moving biggrin.png i'm so glad you're here to tell us these things

Drop Pod is a 65 point free KP. I don't quite get your point (not being funny), but everything is a something point KP

Mk V Dread is already a free KP. msn-wink.gif

I assume you're doing some back-arc jankness against vehicles? Am unfamiliar with that particular phrase. Certainly I like the Pods giving me the option to place the Dreads somewhere other than my own deployment zone, which may or may not be on the long axis.

Archived