Viable enemy unit

Valkyrion

p39 Instinctive Behaviour (Feed)

In the shooting phase the unit cannot shoot or run. In the assault phase, if the unit is able to declare a charge, it must do so against the closes viable enemy unit. If the unit cannot declare a charge, it does nothing in the assault phase.

Hormagaunts have this rule, so if the nearest visible enemy unit is a Land Raider, and the next nearest is a squad of scouts, which must it assault?

No, because "viable" is in regards to "can you assault that", which means "is that in charge range", which means "is that within 12" ", and absolutely no other interpretation.

Context is important. Just read the Hunt instinctive behavior.

"In the Shooting phase, the unit cannot Run and must instead shoot at the closest enemy unit that is within range and line of sight of at least one model in the Tyranid unit. If there is no viable target, the Tyranid unit can do nothing during the Shooting phase."

Id say its the scouts too.

Mostly however I think its there to keep people from arguing that they must make a charge declaration that they cant possibly make, and thus allowing the opponent free overwatches with no risk.

Or conversely charging things you cant possibly make to avoid assaults.

Both of wich would be obviously counter to RAI, but possibly RAW if it wasnt worded so.

There's a rule on page 76 that says a unit can't charge a vehicle unless it can hurt it. So, in contradiction to what other  people seem to be saying, the answer is, in fact, the scouts.

Hmm. The FAQ says you can charge a unit you cannot hurt, and a vehicle is a unit, no?

Q: Can I charge an enemy unit that I can’t hurt? (p20)
A: Yes.

There's a rule on page 76 that says a unit can't charge a vehicle unless it can hurt it. So, in contradiction to what other  people seem to be saying, the answer is, in fact, the scouts.

Hmm. The FAQ says you can charge a unit you cannot hurt, and a vehicle is a unit, no?

>> 

Q: Can I charge an enemy unit that I can’t hurt? (p20)
A: Yes.

Well I guess it opens up the possibility of assault units charging buildings in order to get extra movement.

Archived