Split fire+DWA against eldar

Garath

At least the government tells the truth for a brief period of time! They just retract it when it's convenient!

on-topic:

If you Deathwing Assaulted with two units of Deathwing, it should then be completely possible to split fire onto a enemy transport X with Deathwing unit A, fire at enemy unit Y with the rest of the unit (followed by charging if in range), split fire onto enemy transport Z and then fire onto enemy transport X's bailed out infantry units (provided you destroyed it with Deathwing Unit A) (followed by charging in the next phase if in range)?

Because if so... my areas been telling me that I'm not allowed to do that because of the split fire rules on newly bailed out transport "evacuees" *sadface*

No, this is not possible.  I don't have the rule book in front of me, but it comes down to understanding the basic mechanics of the shooting phase, something like this;

1) Pick a unit

2) Declare a target

3) Resolve all dice

4) next unit

When you add split fire, it looks like this:

1) Pick a unit

2) Declare split fire, -AND- both primary and secondary targets

3) Roll for Leadership, if passed, resolve Split Fire dice

4) Resolve remaining shooting, if Leadership was not passed, the split fire weapon now has to fire here.

5) Next Target

You're trying to run (2) units shooting at the same time, which does not fit inside the core rules of the game. 

Paul

Ahhh feces... so what'd be a way to shoot four different targets with two units of Deathwing Assault Troops..?

Deathwing unit A Split Fires onto enemy unit W and X, THEN Deathwing Unit B Split Fires onto enemy unit Y and Z after all of Deathwing unit A's shooting has resolved? (could enemy unit Y be the passengers from enemy transport X?)

Damnit... maybe I've been playing wrong all this time... ಠ_ಠ;

Ahhh feces... so what'd be a way to shoot four different targets with two units of Deathwing Assault Troops..?

Deathwing unit A Split Fires onto enemy unit W and X, THEN Deathwing Unit B Split Fires onto enemy unit Y and Z after all of Deathwing unit A's shooting has resolved? (could enemy unit Y be the passengers from enemy transport X?)

Damnit... maybe I've been playing wrong all this time... ಠ_ಠ;

Squad A Declares shooting

Primary Target = W (Squad they want to charge)

Secondary Target = X (Transport Vehicle)

Leadership is passed, Both targets are possible.

Resolve shooting against W (Which destroys it for our purposes)

Resolve shooting against X (Which doesn't matter, but squad can now still charge and hasn't wasted a heavy weapon on Infantry)

End A Shooting

Squad B Declares Shooting

Primary Target = Y (Newly available target in the way of destroyed transport)

Secondary Target = Z (Another Transport)

Resolve shooting against Y

Resolve Shooting against Z

End B Shooting

Does this help?  

Paul

I think you should re-read this Paul, because as far as I can tell you're both describing the same thing.

At least the government tells the truth for a brief period of time! They just retract it when it's convenient!

on-topic:
If you Deathwing Assaulted with two units of Deathwing, it should then be completely possible to split fire onto a enemy transport X with Deathwing unit A, fire at enemy unit Y with the rest of the unit (followed by charging if in range), split fire onto enemy transport Z and then fire onto enemy transport X's bailed out infantry units (provided you destroyed it with Deathwing Unit A) (followed by charging in the next phase if in range)?

Because if so... my areas been telling me that I'm not allowed to do that because of the split fire rules on newly bailed out transport "evacuees" *sadface*

The only thing wrong is that you're trying to assault in the same turn as arriving by deep strike. RTBBB.gif

(Oooooooh yeah, that's a bit of a miss on my part..! Forgot you can't charge after DeepStriking... whoops...)

Hmmm... It does clarify things a bit - damnit... guess I've been playing unfairly - I figured that that was the reason why we only got half our units to DeathWing Assault and people were up in arms about it...

Yeaaaaaaaaaah, reading comprehension!!

One of my most widely used tactics, especially against armies where I KNOW I need First Blood is to use Belial on the ground as a Deep Strike anchor, and then slam down inside that range and TL My CMLs to wreck face.  I've dropped a Wraith Knight Turn 1 with this tactic.  It's not always successful, but that one model going away goes a long way to survivability.

Paul

Actually, Paul, IIRC, you are required to resolve the split fire *before* declaring the rest of the unit's target. At least, that's how I read "immediately." Not that it makes much difference, the important parts are that you must fire the rest of the unit at a separate target, and that target may not be the forcibly dismounted contents of a transport that the split fire just destroyed.

You are right. But the difference does matter, even more than I originally thought.

By not declaring targets until split fire is known to pass/fail, you can opt to give up either target, so you can choose to fire the whole unit at either optional target. Makes it nicer than I thought. Split fire *is* resolved immediately after choosing which of your units is shooting.

Paul

Archived