Hello and a Dreadnought question

SinnerBeta

Hello brothers and sisters, I recently joined the ranks of the Unforgiven thanks to a friend that was selling his small force for cheap. Consequently I'm now I'm a proud owner of what is basically full Dark Vengeance set minus the bikers, extra squad of Terminators with an assault cannon, five Assault Marines and a Dreadnaugh that are chilling next to my Witch Hunters.

I'm planning on building a mostly fluffy 4th Company list with some minimal Wing support but I encountered a conflict of interests: the codex says that Dreadnoughts usually stay in the Company they served in their life, be it a normal one or Deathwing... but what about Company Masters that count as members of both ?

I really like Dreads and would like to field at least one and pimp it out with upgrades including the Venerable one. I want to paint him as one since the bone white paintjob makes it look badass, but I'm afraid it would stand out as a sore thumb whenever I would not include some Terminators, if not visually then from a fluff perspective of Deathwing deploying only one of them every time my Company goes to battle rather than one of the previous Company Masters staying with his men.

So... can a Company Master stay with his Company after becoming a Dread or is he taken away by the Deathwach ?

Oh, one more thing: what colour would the Terminator armour of a Company Master deploying with his Company: bone white despite the fact he's not deploying as a member of the Deathwatch or dark green despite it being a Terminator armour belonging to the Dark Angels ? To put it simply, are all Terminator armours in the Chapter painted white ?

Terminator suits are bone white no matter the company the user is in. He's a vet so he wears the 1st Co suits. Dreadnoughts usually stay with their companies... Book says Ven Dreads are all DW, but IMHO only terminator suits are white, ven dreads assigned to companies should be green.

I'm with Leonaides on this, Company Masters that get the honour of being interred in a Dreadnought are probably respected enough to make their own choices. All company masters have served in the Deathwing as well and are members of the Inner Circle, so no problem there either. I guess if the Company Master died fighting as part of the company he was leading, he would get one of 'their' dreadnought armours but in the colours of the Deathwing.

Unfortunately I do not have my copy of the Purging of Kadillus here, but if I'm not entirely mistaken the Venerable Dreadnought Venerari deploys with the 3rd company in this book as well, although this could also be as a part of the 1st company reinforcing the 3rd company but I can't check it right now.

Most important thing would be go with whatever you think looks best and feels best for the 'story/theme' of your army. I personally would paint it bone-coloured, as I, like you, think it looks badass... and it properly shows its a Venerable Dread.

Company Masters attached with companies beyond the 1st, they wear power armour rather than TDA don't they?

That's a really good question about Dreadies containing Company Masters though. If they were a DW Vet, I'd think they'd wear the livery of DW - and on a dreadnought that's bone white armour in my opinion.

Fluff wise, you'd imagine that the DA's would only make members of Deathwing into Dreadnoughts.

Edit: Damn you auto-correct.

Company Masters attached with companies beyond the 1st, they wear power armour rather than TDA don't they?

That's a really good question about Dreadies containing Company Masters though. If they were a DW Vet, I'd think they'd wear the livery of DW - and on a dreadnought that's bone white armour in my opinion.

Fluff wise, you'd imagine that the DA's would only make members of Deathwing into Dreadnoughts.

Edit: Damn you auto-correct.

Unforgiven chapters have very different priorities when it comes to selecting who goes into the first company. Ability to handle knowing the truth without blabbering about it and having such extreme loyalty to the chapter they would attack fellow space marines (like say black templars) to protect that truth is probably the most important thing to have. So you could have this tremendously skilled marine who will never be inducted into the first company, simply because he would constantly rail at the treasons the Unforgiven must commit to maintain their secrets.

Or he could be a marine who displayed such valor in his death that command thought they should keep him around. That doesn't really reinforce the tragedy of the fall though!

Archived