Sammael Javlin Conversion

Millicant

Hey there,

This came up in a recent thread, and the more I think about it, I really like it!  So, this has become my new plan: to convert the Javelin Land Speeder into Sableclaw for Sammael.  

I was hoping for some additional ideas on this front - particularly in the conversion department.  There is only one major change to be made - the Lascannons have to be swapped out for Assault Cannons.  I feel that the lascannon variant is probably more suited to this than the Cyclone Missile Launcher variant, due to the mounting hardware.  

Any stellar notions of how to swap those lascannons out for assault cannons?  Or any others - where to put Dark Angel/Ravenwing Iconography so it will look grimdark but not cheesy?

I will be sure to post pics when I actually begin this project. 

Thanks!

Jordan

• 4 weeks later...

baal predator has turret assault cannons and sponson assault cannons if I remember though they may be chunkier than you want.

you could get away with the cannons from the landraider crusader or the (old) ravenwing sprue ones - the last being smaller than other versions.

edit: baal doesn't have sponson AC's having just checked (sorry)

I'm definitely considering the ravenwing sprue assault cannons, however I have some concerns about actually managing to convert those since the lascannon sponsons are fairly specific. I'm not a terribly competent converter but I was hoping this one would prove simple. We shall see...

Ihg and alvena:

I think you two are thinking what I'm thinking. Hopefully I can make exactly that happen without it looking dumb. I had been considering a much more complicated conversion but that will probably be the simplest.

I already have a converted Sabreclaw (using a regular LS plus bits from LSV, old MotRW LS, RWCS, RW sprue) but i really like the idea to convert a Javelin into sabreclaw...

I agree on using the lascannons bodies with AC barrels and magazines from RW sprue...

I would also add bits from various DA sprues to make it outstanding...

• 2 weeks later...

It arrived!

It arrived!

Friday it showed up in the mail and on Saturday night I had it built.  Very good kit - loved it!  

Here's it built, conversion mostly complete, with Sammael and gunner blue-tacked in place to test it out.  

What do you guys think of the following:

1) Assault Cannon conversion

2) Sammael bits used

3) What DA/Ravenwing iconography to add to the speeder?

Thanks!

I'll post some more as I paint it.

Love it :tu:  I've just finished (last night) a Javlin conversion of my own, love the model! Your ACs look great, I'd prefer to see Sammy bare headed but yours is cool. Add heaps of bling...

Thanks! So I like sammael without a hood too, but he had kinda long hair on the jetbike! Not sure if I can match that... I tried to make the rest of his gear look similar - breastplate and pauldrons.

Assault cannons look great - a very convincing conversion.

Cheers.

Thanks!

Looking great!

Would have personally glued only the AC barrels. Is their a particular reason why you've kept the rear part of the cannon?

There is, actually! I sacrificed several assault cannons on the altar of conversions, and this looked the best. It looked silly and too small with only the barrel portion attached.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I could pretty much visualize what this would look like.  The ACs look good with the barrels *and* the gun housing bits.  Simple conversion, looks good, and (more importantly to me at least) it stands out as a piece of "ancient tech" like the Corvex is.  Probably should have some more decoration in the form of a big hood ornament tome and some purity seals whipping in the wind along the sides, but not too much.  Just add some of that and I would call it a done deal.

It looks pretty good as is, sort of a "less is more" thing. I don't quite think the design of the hood lends itself well to the books, it's just covered with curves. Just a couple little ravenwing icons would cover it, I think.

It looks pretty good as is, sort of a "less is more" thing. I don't quite think the design of the hood lends itself well to the books, it's just covered with curves. Just a couple little ravenwing icons would cover it, I think.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking too.  It doesn't lend itself well to iconographication... Or Sammaeliciousification... or whatever... :)

The really sweet giant book from the Ravenwing sprue is too big.  It doesn't fit or look good on the hood.  I'm probably going to add a few winged sword icons, possibly even just decals, and a couple purity seals and call it good.  I'm counting on the Javelin being unique enough on it's own to stand out from standard speeders.

More pics to follow!

Oh that's a good idea. I wish I had some. I plan on using some decals since they are much more sleek than the fat RW icons from the sprue. Too big for this sleek black death-dealer.

Archived