Dark Angels Rumor

Syphid

From Faeit212:

GW wants to release an update for the Dark Angels.

This update would be to allow the Dark Angels players to use the
tactica unlocked by Unique Independant Character during tournament. Due
to some tournament not allowing to use Unique Characters, like Samael,
Belial and Azrael, the Dark Angels could only play as marines without
much possibilities. And with the 6th Space Marines Codex, the Astartes
are now allowed to play Bikes Armies in Tournament, and the Dark Angels
aren't. It would probably be special rule for captains or new non-unique
captains for Death Wing and Raven Wing.

I'm skeptical, as GW doesn't usually seem all that interested in A) tournament balance, B )Dark Angels updates, and C) Dark Angels performance in tournaments.

I would love it if they gave us this option as It has hamstrung me plenty of times. However, for the reasons you have pointed out, I will not be holding my breath.  You never know though, GW is going through a whole mess of changes.  With the new White Dwarf and the addition of a whole new magazine they have a new platform which needs filling.  It would certainly be an incentive (albeit a pain in the neck) for me to pick up a copy if they regularly release Unforgiven rules.  We know they are looking to make sells this may do it for a time.  Time will tell...

I'm skeptical, as GW doesn't usually seem all that interested in A) tournament balance,.

You gotta check his source becase Naf will repeat juat about anything.

There are already rules in place that allow bikes as troops.  Why would GW write new rules to replace rules being ignored by some TO?

GW wants people to modify rules as they see fit.

GW wants to sell cool mini's and are disinterested in tourniments.

I can maybe see them adding a line in the FAQ so that any Raven Wing chapter master unlocks bikes as troops but it would have nothing to do with tourniment balance and be all about selling more RW bikes.

If there is a DA update it will probably be about how to add Cypher to a Fallen army using DA rules and the new conversion sprue they would put out with it.

I've fed the available information into the rumour-analysis-cogitator* and the output was "Unlikely". GW don't care which units are not allowed at any given tournament.

*Or is it a magic 8-ball?

This seems pretty unfounded, as there isn't even a "bike Company Master" allowed.

Not only that, as already said, why would GW alter its rules to please tourney players when they have all but said "We really don't care about tourneys or tourney 'balance'."

To Natfka's doubters, I would mention the fact that he always reports the rumors as rumors.  He will at times mention that a certain source has been reliable in the past, but he's never said anything is going to happen, he merely aggregates things that have been heard around the web (one of my DE rumors that I got while talking to a corporate GW guy made it on there not too long ago!) or sent directly to him.

As for the rumor itself I don't quite understand it.  It looks like a rumor that was translated to english from another language, so maybe there's something being lost in the translation.  It's suggesting that GW cares about tournament rules and is willing to change a codex based off of what a tournament organizer says? Also, what kind of a tournament bans unique characters?  At BEST I think this could be a matter of making the company master more than just a codex entry and giving DA a cheaper way to get Bikes/Terminators on the table.  Because let's be real, when have you ever seen one fielded or even mentioned in a hypothetical list.  If anyone's fielding a company master it's because they haven't bought a real HQ yet.

I think ban characters to try and keep the cheese down, fateweaver comes to mind. Its not really meant with sammael and balial in mind.

Even with that, I have a hard time believing "oh, those poor DA feeling the collateral damage of character bans" haha.  If the rumor said something like "GW would like to see DA to be more competitive" maybe I'd believe it!  

Edit:  that said, if they did come back and amend the DA book, I would have a really hard time with it if I had to purchase the updated rules.  When this book was released it was flashy and new and nothing was like it, but after all the other 6th Ed codices came out, I think we got the short end of the stick. 

How many of the $30 Captain boxes did they sell?  

"Well maybe if we make them legal for DA players too..."

Nevermind that we have two chapter specific ones available, our specific finecast one and the plastic one from DV.  With the news of the half annual report, every rumor needs to be assesed in a "Is this possibly going to drive sales" point of view because you can be sure that GWHQ are looking at that..

Plausible...  But absolutely not for the reasons given...

Yeah but it's part of their codex regardless and they can take 3 if they were so inclined and they would be pretty game deciding.  Other than perhaps 3 landraiders (which aren't even unique) our codex is kinda flat in that regard.  Great fluff/models and lists look good on paper.  In fact I think the more correct statement would be that our codex is the most balanced while all the others have that go-to unit that really makes them strong.  

Do any of the friends you play against say "oh man, Dark Angels, hope you didn't bring too many XXX, I don't have anything to deal with them"? We don't really have such a thing.

Sounds nice.

While I'm not a tournament goer, I am thinking about proposing a small house rule in gaming club that would allow a Company Master to take a bike and modify FOC like Sammael (same with TDA and Belial) because I'm considering painting my new DA army as a Successor Chapter of my own creation (always heard those are fun to come up with and write fluff for but never tried with my Black Templars and Sisters of Battle) and if they made it official I wouldn't have to go around asking people if it's ok with them.

Now if they only made a generic Chapter Master for the Unforgiven...

Though I hate to be "that guy" there is one reason why this rumour is even remotely plausible in my mind:

My FLGS opened up about a year ago, and the owners of the store held an escalation campaign.  They didn't know much about the game, but were given the rules for a "Kaiserlautern IV" campaign - apparently an alpha test for the one that's being released this summer.  The rules said you couldn't bring any named characters, and that non-troops that were unlocked as scoring units with a named character could be taken as troops. I asked if this meant I could bring a Ravenwing army without Sammael, and the owners forwarded the question on to the GW store.  The response was that I could take RW as troops so long as I brought a generic HQ on a bike.

It might be a bit of a stretch, but if this rumor is true it could have something to do with the upcoming Kaiserlautern IV Campaign that's coming this summer.

It would be nice, because it would give us a reason to take company masters.  Saving 60 points in a DW list by taking a master in terminator armor over belial could make a difference at lower point games.  Master + 2x Deathwing squads is just about 600 points, the rumoured point cap for the campaign.

Interesting, this is where I think the translation/lack of English of the rumor-provider might be playing a part.  I'd agree what you're saying as plausible and the whole rumor could be specifically speaking about the campaign.  This is also because other rumors have indicated that the campaign is meant, or at least intended, to be played with the DV set as a starting point and building the armies out from there.  So that would explain the connection to DA.  One of those rumors ALSO said that you couldn't use the special edition Chaplain that came with it.

Now this isn't fact or anything, this is just my experience with GW over the last year, combined with some of the more verified rumours of the Kaiserslautern IV campaign.  If it wasn't for that expereince with that one campaign's rules and the exact same campaign getting published this summer, I wouldn't have given the OP rumour a second thought.

I didn't want to post it in the OP because I thought it sounded a little too unbelievable, but the campaign at my FLGS was definitely called "Kaiserslautern IV" (a name that unique stands out) and I know that the owners were brand new to 40k and got all of their answers and rules form the GW in the next city that supplied them.

Both C:DA and C:CSM have holes in them, so I would welcome updates to them if and only if they deliver exactly upon my personal desires and expectations biggrin.png

Seriously though, in the day of dataslates, maybe we will see updates that fill the gaps and resolve the issues that are most evident after a year of use. Combine this with the rumour of a new Chaos Marine tactical/Chosen plastics box, and hopefully we are in line for a refresh. For me this would mean a Night Lords Supplement, but again that's just me.

I'm with SinnerBeta on the generic Chapter Master that unlocks DW and RW - Successor Unforgiven being led by Azrael/Belial/Sammael analogs is just boring and lazy. If it were up to me, DW and RW would be unlocked by any Int-Chappy or -Libby on the appropriate bike or in TDA.

I would welcome this quite readily, as the Generic HQ is what made the Space Marine codex so appealing for me. Even khan is more "generic" than Samuel, as he's just some dude on a regular bike with a sword rather than riding the "last remaining IoM jetbike in the galaxy!!!!!"

My rants aside, I would like to see them make the RW a little more on par with WS, but then that's just me. Maybe they could make Veteran Sergeants provide skilled rider too.

Archived