Rules for two-player escalation campaign

Brother Lateralus

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, if not forgive me.

I'm just now getting back into 40k (Dark Angels) and I've brought a friend along. He has played DoW, etc. But never made the jump to the table top. I've helped him to procure a small IG army consisting of roughly 500 points, and I'm sitting on about 1250 right now. We want to make sure that we are never playing with unpainted minatures so we figure the best way is to just do an escalation campaign starting at 500 points. However all of the rules I can find online are for more than two players. My question is -- are there rules for a two player escalation campaign? Or is it even possible/fair to play a two player escalation campaign. I was hoping for a bit more than 500 points this month, 650 next month, etc. But that is probably the only option.

Thanks,

Escalation leagues will always have their own rules sine it is an entirely home-made sort of thing designed to encourage the local players.

For two people you just do whatever seems like fun at the moment.

[edit]

OK, hows this:

Start at 500 points.  Play rounds that are "best of 3."  After the round, the winner adds 50 points to their army; the loser adds 100. After 10 rounds whoever has the fewest points wins the campaign.

Escalation leagues will always have their own rules sine it is an entirely home-made sort of thing designed to encourage the local players.

For two people you just do whatever seems like fun at the moment.

[edit]

OK, hows this:

Start at 500 points.  Play rounds that are "best of 3."  After the round, the winner adds 50 points to their army; the loser adds 100. After 10 rounds whoever has the fewest points wins the campaign.

Wow, I really like that idea. Definitely adds a bit of a spin as normally the winning player adds points. That was my concern is that one of us would become clearly dominant and it would just snowball until the one who won more often also had 200-300 more points. This fixes that entire problem.

Thanks for the suggestion!

In fluff, if you are winning the higher HQ want you to hold ground with what you have.  If you are losing they see that they need to commit more troops to the effort.

You could also add an on going campaign element to it.  Any unit that survives with >50% intact adds +1 Ld in the next battle.  Or maybe any character that defeats an enemy character in a challange may take one weapon (or similar wargear) from the defeated; add it to the winners inventory at no point cost.  I wouldn't allow relics or armor to be taken like that but it's up to yall what you want to do.

Archived