Could a centurion double as a contemptor dreadnought?

ZONKEY

They are about as different as you can get in terms of size and shape, and that'd be the main sticking point. It's also a bit odd to think of a Marine in the 41st millennium's equivalent of equipped powerlifting gear getting Av13, 5++ and (depending on pattern) Skyfire and Interceptor... ;) Is there a piece of fluff you have in mind? Most people will see it as less of a 'counts-as' case (for instance there's feasibly a situation in which a 'regular' Dreadnought could follow Contemptor rules - e.g. if it was a really venerable old Dreadnought) and more of a proxy (along the lines of here's my grot, it counts as Abaddon).

I'd let you do it of course, but you'd have to have a reference for the actual height of a Contemptor.

I have no comparison on height :-/, and i like the forgeworld models but I dislike painting there resign and gluing it together. I could use the venerable dreadnought but I like the look of centurions....even though they are not lying with in the ancient armoury of the rock....which also seems to have a gap saying IOU grav guns

Why don't you *eek can't believe I am saying this* take another model to base it on - like the dreadknight or something similar, and attach sections of normal dreads to it to dreadify it ?

Ok, so I every so swiftly googled "size comparison centurion contemptor dreadnought" and got a few great images of comparing the size to dreads and cents with the contemptor - then you'll get to see how much bigger it is. I hadn't done that before so didn't realise the size difference myself smile.png ...I thought they would be... bigger lol.

Like I said - as a proxy for a friendly one or two off sure - only as long as you play it to its size.

For a friendly game I would have no problems, heck I have played against people just using flying bases as riptides :)

In a competition not a chance!

The more pressing issue for me is the fact that the base is 10mm too small.  While it's not a huge deal, the smaller the base, the easier it is to squeeze into a small spot for combat or the like.  

Paul

Hmmm, it would appear that I'm the only douchebag in here that would have a problem with it. Apart from the significant difference in size, they don't even have a similar appearance. Added to that the fact that I'm a bit of an anal fluff-whore who thinks that the likes of a Contemptor deserves a model that reflects it's status and you've got a strong disagreement from me. Sorry.

No one would call your a Douche-Bag for that, I believe that we understand the sentiment in certain situations.  

For a lot of people, a single contemptor is out of reach for a long time.  Sitting at $80-95 USD + shipping from Forgeworld, man...  (80 for Chassis + Arms, 95 for CML).

In a friendly game, if someone wanted to try it out, yes, I would let them.  I would not let them play shenanigans in tight quarters if it's on the wrong base though, as I am a stickler for that (WE have one local guy that refused to put his old metal terminators on 40mm bases for a long time).  But if it's something you're going to want to play against me regularly, or after the 2nd or 3rd game, I'm going to ask you to produce the real model.  Forgeworld is great stuff, fun rules, but when I want to play with a FW toy, I buy it, I don't proxy it.

Best,

Paul

An old metal terminator on a 25mm base is on the base it was provided with, which is therefore correct. I wouldn't buy a zillion extra 40mm bases and rebase all m terminators because you think they're wrong either.

On the original topic, if you have any regular dreads that would probably be a close proxy for most people.

If you are going to do that, then I would suggest actually converting it to be proper. Make sure that it's close to the right size and always use the correct base size. Part of me wouldn't mind. But I think the part of me that has played too many models that were just a base (literally, just a base with no model on it) while I've had a fully painted and represented army has become tired of cheap proxies.

An old metal terminator on a 25mm base is on the base it was provided with, which is therefore correct. I wouldn't buy a zillion extra 40mm bases and rebase all m terminators because you think they're wrong.

Wrong tense. Terminators *are* supplied with a 40mm base, it doesn't matter what they *were* supplied with. There is only one legal size (actually, IIRC, you're allowed to go up one size, but not down. Apparently, some people like to put 25mm characters on 40mm bases for dramatic effect, in spite of the inherent disadvantage) You can get away with abusing the shorter stature of the old models to break LOS, but abusing the wrong base size to squeeze through a narrow gap or move more models into a small space, that falls squarely under "modeling for advantage." Just like the douchebag who bragged about spending ungodly sums to acquire really old rhino models because they were smaller and thus easier to keep alive (break LOS or gain obscuration). IIRC, he was banned from the FLGS?

I bet if you find an old metal terminator still in the blister package it's base won't bad magically grown to 40mm. The new ones may have he larger bases by they aren't the same models. Moot point for me since I have plenty of the new terminators and they're converted and painted to a higher standard anyways (go figure, newer models are finished with better skills), but for people that haven't bothered getting new ones, I don't see why there would be a problem with using the bases they got with the models.

For rhinos I'm not sure why someone would deliberately go out of their way to get the old ones for gaming purposes, half the point of a rhino is to block LoS.

Cardinal,

You won't find the metal ones with the 25mm bases being sold by GW these days, either. And, if you did, the cyclone missile launcher model wouldn't have a stormbolter. Many of the same people hiding behind the expense (in this hobby? Rofl!) and effort required to rebase their models will be found to have replaced the targeter arm on the cyclone model with a stormbolter (or gone straight to the CML thundernator option), throwing away an entire model because they're now short one arm. When I pointed out this little inconsistency to one powergamer, he stopped claiming the thin smokescreen of "it's too hard/expensive to do the work," and settled in on "you can't make me," which at least has the virtue of honesty. Not that anyone would agree to play against him anyway, he was a pretty shady gamer.

Let me go back and reiterate what I said before: The terminators that GW supplies, as opposed to supplied, come with 40mm bases. There is no logical reason for more than one base size to be acceptable for gaming purposes when smaller bases provide an advantage. Moreover, if indeed 25mm bases were acceptable, they should be okay for the plastic termies, as well, in order to afford the same competitive advantage currently enjoyed only by wealthy and/or veteran players to all players, since the metal termies are only available in very limited supply in the secondary market.

Me? I play with ten metal and eleven plastic termies, all on the same 40mm base size. Oddly enough, nobody has ever told me to rebase my metal termies on 25mm bases...

Current rulebooks assume you are playing with current models.  While the old models are legal for play, you need to make them as close to the current counter parts or that does fall under Modeling for Advantage, and I'll put money on the fact you'll never attend a tournament worth a damn where you'll get away with these shenanigans.  

Paul

Just to note that 25mm bases are just as acceptable for use on the old style plastic termies as they are on the old metal ones - because that's what they originally came with.

House or tournament rules might require them to be on larger bases - but that is not a requirement in the main rulebook.

Also the rulebook makes no assumption of players having current models that I know of. Or to put it another way - it does not tell us we must only use current model types to play 40K. And quite right too. Many gamers I know make a point of using old models for the cool factor. Including me.

As far as proxying a model is concerned, it does make sense to put it on a base that is the same size as that of the proxied model.

Cheers

I

"Hiding behind expense" isn't just hiding. The hobby is a lot more expensive than it used to be. Land raiders are nearing $75 now, the last time I bought one it was $50, and I cringed at that and considered just going without, and I can assure you that five metal terminators did not cost $50. Anyone who bought those terminators when they were available retail is probably going to balk at the thought of paying a dollar a piece for little plastic discs. As I said, it doesn't really affect me as I have plenty of new plastic terminators as well, but it just seems silly to come up with a house rule about base sizes and making people spend time and money to change models that they're happy with.

If nothing else, do like I did for my IG heavy weapon teams when I didn't have enough bases.  I cut out cardboard circles from the little flap you tear off to open a 'fridge mate' 12-pack of soda, after ensuring I traced the actual base and having the right size.  It's not like you can't pull the models off the cardboard should you ever get enough of the proper bases, and the cardboard should also make the 'you must make the models be on the current sized base' crowd a little less vocal.

Archived