Which do you prefer?

Brother_Darius

For some reason I was under the wrong impression that you had to max out the Ravenwing Attack Squadron before you could get the attack bike or the landspeeder.

Now however I realize you can get the AB right away. So I'm wondering.....

Do I just get three Typhone's via the support squadron option and then spam the 3bike + AB to max out the number of AB's I can put out on the field

or

Do I go the 6 bike +AB + Thyphone route?

I like full RAS. Its 1 troop choice that can go into three or four combat squads if you want. 1 AB, 1 speeder, and 1 6 man bikes or 2 3 man bikes. Plus if a squad of anything fires at a speeder from that squad it only kills one vs a possible full squad. It makes it harder for them to make priorities on what dies first.

Plus you save a fast attack spot

Wound denial means that the squad of ten that shoots at the Typhoon SQUADRON may cause you to lose all three to one round of shooting.  If you have the add ons from the RAS that just happen to be flying together only one may be targeted by that squad of 10 and if they kill it they cannot charge the other two...  

I prefer running them together, separately...

Yep, I have 5 full squads of RAS. 5x 6man bikes, 5 ABs, 5 speeders. Because I run my bikes together in mass spear heads, I have numbers on the shoulder pads or numbers on the sides of the speeders so there is no confusion what model goes with what squad. They pick a target, I tell them who all is in what unit, or combat squad so they have to be very clear how they do whatever. They really hate that they either have a hard time killing 1 unit or they waste an crazy number of shoots into 1 models. (1 20m unit of fire warriors for 1 speeder for example, or 1 AB that still doesn't die).

First option of three full RAS, for 873 points, gets me

- 18 bikes (3 or 6 units)

- 3 attack bikez (3 units)

- 3 Typhoons ( 3 units)

12 troop choices and also 12 Kill points

Second options gets me for 765pts

-12 bikes (4 units)

- 4 attack bikes ( 4 units)

- 3 Typhoons (1 squad)

108 pts left over

8 Troop choices and also 9 Kill points

A squad of typhoons (3 models) are easier to kill than 3 squads of 1 typhoon each though. 2 plasma rifles can kill all three in 1 rapid fire, so could a squad of bolters etc. As RAS they draw a lot less fire than a squad of three would. Plus they are free to fire at anything or assist as needed. On some missions it could hurt you, granted.

To be honest though, it all comes down to what you want them to do in your list. If your going to be killing hordes, they would be good, HB, missiles, and/or flamers. Tank hunting MM/missiles(my favorite). It also depends on what else is your support in your list as well. Are you going to brave to go ahead and run nephs or talons? They are good support and with div, using a speeder squad could down flyers, but I've yet to try that route. Are you going to support RW with predators? Like I said, it depends on the rest of the list on how you should run them.

From all the times I've ran RW, people hate seeing 5 typhoons in squads by themselves hiding at the start of the game blocking LOS.

First option of three full RAS, for 873 points, gets me

- 18 bikes (3 or 6 units)

- 3 attack bikez (3 units)

- 3 Typhoons ( 3 units)

12 troop choices and also 12 Kill points

Nope, sorry.  Only the bikes count as troops choices, Land speeders are vehicles and Vehicles can never claim objectives so only 9 troops.

Second options gets me for 765pts

-12 bikes (4 units)

- 4 attack bikes ( 4 units)

- 3 Typhoons (1 squad)

108 pts left over

8 Troop choices and also 9 Kill points

See above.  But Pyro is right.  The squad of three speeders is easier to kill than three singles.  I learned that when I melta-ed (green command squad with two meltas) a squadron of 2 Valks and only one was in half range and I killed both....   Suprised me too..

Archived