Command Squad Question

AtlasDM

I couldn't find an answer anywhere else so I'm trying here. The command squad and deathwing command squad both say that you can take one command squad for each HQ choice in your army. It doesn't specify that it has to be from your Dark Angels detachment and it's not addressed in the FAQ on the GW website.

So... could I take an allied detachment and/or an inquisitional detachment and buy multiple command squads or deathwing command squads? Everything seems to check out according to RAW.

What do you think B&C crowd?

The codex is written for Dark Angels; the term 'army' in this case is used to mean a force taken from the Dark Angel codex. I would say you have to use Dark Angels H.Q choices in order to unlock Dark Angels Command Squads of any type. Trust me, if you played against me and had more Dark Angels Command Squads than you had Dark Angels H.Q choices, I'd be packing up my models and going home.

I wouldn't come to the table with anything that I thought would need even the most minute amount of rules lawyering to use because I'm a very casual player and I'd rather have fun and drink beer and roll dice than argue. I just noticed the wording and wondered if anyone has thought of doing this before. Command squads are too many points to be used en masse I think but I could see some serious nerd rage when a player sets down five deathwing command squads with land raider transports (2 primary + 1 allied + 2 inquisition). At that point though you would be in apocalypse point level games.

Also note for the DWCS it's an HQ equipped with terminator armor.  Meaning that Azrael, Ezekiel, and basic Chaplain can never take a DWCS, as they can never equip themselves with Terminator armor.  The same goes for the bikes.  You can however take a regular power-armor command squad no matter what your HQ is equipped with.

I thought you could have more than one command squad if the said HQ wore TDA.

As a HQ in TDA, they unlock the DWCS and the power armour command squad.

Same with a RWCS and HQ on bike.

I can't see anything that stops this.

Note- I currently only have a power armour command squad.

DM

The "for each HQ" to me suggests that you're only allowed to take one, RAI.

RAW I can see how it can sound like so long as you have an HQ on a bike or TDA, you satisfy the needs (having an HQ) to bring a regular command squad in addition to your specialized one (DW/RW).  But like you said, not very efficient in a codex that's already a little expensive to begin with.

Archived