Need some (DW) Help...

Prot

Yeah prot I feel you on the Knights. They aren't as efficient but man the hammer it to people. But I play casual so 6-7 is perfect with a Chappy and unhappy players when the appear on my opponents side of the board. I've never had a problem with Cyclones on TH/SS. In fact I had a player once say "Isn't that what they're known for?"

You want deathwing?
Fine, but think outside the box, libby or techmarine (preferably libby) with shroud of heroes on bike tottin on his own behind 2 or three LRC (if you want command with deva banner) Termies? Empty handed, they sit in thick box, they charge out to kill whne they 100% sure they'll kill.

Knights? They save points and are durable.

Walkers, this edition is very unkind to dreadnoughts

Cactus: any pics of those Army Painter dudes? I've never used it but I'm desperate to get this show on the road. I've been stalling forever.

This is the link you're looking for, and here's my Deathwing white technique:

• Undercoat with Army Painter's skeleton bone spray
  • Wash with devlan mud (or whatever they call it now)
  • Drybrush with bleached bone. The aim is to build up a base coat, leaving the devlan mud showing in the recesses, so it's better to apply two or three light coats than one thick one.
  • At this point I paint all the details and tidy up any dark marks this leaves on the white-ish areas.
  • Moist drybrush with white. A little moisture helps the paint act more like a glaze and gives the armour its smooth finish. Again, two or three thin coats is best.

When I say multiple coats of bleached bone or white, in practice that just means going over the model a couple of times in one sitting until it looks right.

Be careful with the spray however, if you go too heavy it can get a bit 'gritty'.

I don't think thundernators are "more efficient" than knights. It's just that with 690 non-scoring points spent on three models, I can't afford any nonscoring terminator squads, at least not in a competitive game.

I like dual-Drop Podding (w/ locator beacons) Venerable Dreadnoughts, with a couple of Land Raiders running up the gut on Turn 1.  Unless the enemy is usually fairly lucky, they can't stop all of that from getting to them and doing bad things.  And, if either one of the Drop Pods is in any way intact, they won't like the Deathwing Assault of a couple more Deathwing Terminator units that will be arriving without scattering  on Turn 2 either.  2,000-2,500 points for that option though, otherwise you will be a bit light on TROOPS.  One Drop Podding Dreadnought (ALWAYS make them Venerable) can work in smaller games, but almost always only as a flanking unit that takes advantage of cut-off lines of fire, positioning that gives a cover save, etc.

I don't think thundernators are "more efficient" than knights. It's just that with 690 non-scoring points spent on three models, I can't afford any nonscoring terminator squads, at least not in a competitive game.

It is a choice between three scoring units and two...  On a 5 objective mission you are going to have problems trying to contest anyway short of going right for them and push the other guy off the table...

It is a choice between three scoring units and two...  On a 5 objective mission you are going to have problems trying to contest anyway short of going right for them and push the other guy off the table...

Actually, between three and four...but if you have fewer than four, you've got trouble.  

I like dual-Drop Podding (w/ locator beacons) Venerable Dreadnoughts, with a couple of Land Raiders running up the gut on Turn 1.  Unless the enemy is usually fairly lucky, they can't stop all of that from getting to them and doing bad things.  And, if either one of the Drop Pods is in any way intact, they won't like the Deathwing Assault of a couple more Deathwing Terminator units that will be arriving without scattering  on Turn 2 either.  2,000-2,500 points for that option though, otherwise you will be a bit light on TROOPS.  One Drop Podding Dreadnought (ALWAYS make them Venerable) can work in smaller games, but almost always only as a flanking unit that takes advantage of cut-off lines of fire, positioning that gives a cover save, etc.

That's fair enough but do you have trouble starting with enough models on the table? One pod comes in, the other waits, both in reserve, plus dropping termies.... What do you start on the table to make this legal?

Honestly, we play 1850 at the highest so this probably isn't an option for me so at most I'm looking at one Venerable dread, maybe two but to really I am thinking it's not a 'compeitive' option.

I understand what you're saying but the models just look to darn friggin cool to not use for me. ;) I did get a 6th one put together for a better turn of smite (it seems that's what everyone is advising.)

I imagine with the Knights it must be VERY hard to preserve that toughness 5... I mean logically it just seems in assault you are forced out of your ability to keep everyone in double base to base.

On terminator configuration (troops) I have put most of my box sets together here is what I've done:

6 Knights

5 from the two player set including the assault cannon (might be useless?), and chainfist dude (most likely useless).

5 more from a box which consist of 3 fist/Storm bolter, 1 Sargent, 1 Hammer/Shield/Cyclone ML. (seemed like a safe squad to make).

I have 2 more boxes (I think... at lest one) but I'm keeping them unnassembled. No idea what to do with them though it does seem doing a Termie Command squad would be a waste. 

Also obviously just put Belial together and a new Termie Librarian.

Still not sure wat to do with my final 5,, perhaps the same as the Missile launcher squad. (Maybe without the Sargent for combat squading purposes?)

Let me know what you think. Thanks again for all the help/advice.

Archived