Knight Titans helping out the Unforgiven?

Tiger9gamer

I asked a similar question on Dakka Dakka, but I feel the need to ask it here too. 

With one of my favorite pieces of background fluff, the knight titans, getting a rumor that they may be returning, I thought it would be a great idea to add a piece of fluff to my Homebrewed chapter about how they have Knight titan allies.

(home-brewed chapter in question: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/282659-t9gs-dark-angel-successor/ )

Basically, My idea is that a fallen angel was hiding on a Knight World as part of a raiding chaos warband, and soon the head of the local household found out about the caliban incident. The Knights of the Lion were sent to capture the Fallen and were about to eradicate the household when an Ork WAAAAGH landed on the planet. My chapter would then ally with the household to repel the invading waagh, and found out that only the Headmaster of the household knew of the fallen. my chapter would let the household live, but only if they aided the Unforgiven in campaigns from there-forth. 

first question: is this feasible or just plain stupid for an idea? ._. 

It could be feasible, but there should probably be elements of your chapter hiding the fact the Headmaster is aware of the Fallen from the rest of the Unforgiven - I recall that one bit of fluff about how the Dark Angels destroyed a Black Templar ship because they had held onto a Fallen as prisoner for a short amount of time.

I recall that one bit of fluff about how the Dark Angels destroyed a Black Templar ship because they had held onto a Fallen as prisoner for a short amount of time.

We all know they simply got lost in the warp.

I'll add my two cents… I just don't think the DA would risk teaming up with the Knights without nabbing the headmaster first. Just too much risk of him telling someone else in my opinion.

But, what they might do if they really felt they needed the backing of the Knight Titans, is stage something that made it look as though the Orks captured/killed the headmaster. They could even orchestrate it to happen with an actual Ork ambush if say they requested the headmaster meet them for an audience then tip off the orks in some way. Better to have his blood on the Orks hands anyway.

It would make an interesting story if a tactical squad or something was in communication with the headmaster when he was suddenly ambushed. They are about to engage but are quickly told to stand down from HQ.

Then the DA pledge to fight alongside the Knights and avenge the slain headmaster if they aid them in the future.

If you do go with it and the headmaster stays alive, your successor would certainly have to hide it from other DA Chapters as Tiberius Jackhammer suggested above.

Not sure it works fluff wise (ignoring pandorax) but is plausible enough for a short term solution. If I was that headmaster I would avoid airlocks after the oath is pledged incase of a "tragic accident", leaving the ignorant 2ic in charge.

Also wasn't the black Templars incident a tragic accident caused by the warp drives by an overzealous crusader, least that's what I heard.

Not sure it works fluff wise (ignoring pandorax) but is plausible enough for a short term solution. If I was that headmaster I would avoid airlocks after the oath is pledged incase of a "tragic accident", leaving the ignorant 2ic in charge.

Also wasn't the black Templars incident a tragic accident caused by the warp drives by an overzealous crusader, least that's what I heard.

It wasn't the Black Templars at all. We destroyed an inquisitorial warship and plead ignorance to the high lords of terra when they inquired as to his whereabouts. The Templars apprehended Cypher and we merely powered up our weapons and threatened them until they gave him up, perhaps it was a moment of weakness.

Do you see how much better that is!

Battle Brothers... There is no such thing as a Fallen Angel. The Templar ship was transporting an Alpha Legionaire, disguised as a Noble Dark Angel. When our Brothers informed them of their mistake, the Templars REQUESTED we stand by to destroy their ship, should they fail to stop the traitor....

We obliged them, and submit our condolences to the Templars. Their Brothers died as Heroes.

:)

It seems a bit convoluted. What if the head of the knight household was one of the Fallen? He disappears (escaped or captured?) and your chapter is keeping a close eye on supporting military actions by the knights.

It seems a bit convoluted. What if the head of the knight household was one of the Fallen? He disappears (escaped or captured?) and your chapter is keeping a close eye on supporting military actions by the knights.

That is a very good idea! =D i could mix the two maybe, Say he called for help during an ork invasion, my chapter responded, and the headmaster was "lost" when an ork ambus destroyed his walker and "killed" him.

I would also suggest not calling him a "headmaster". That's what we call school principals in the UK and it totally breaks the immersion every time I read it!

Instead of "knightlord" (aren't all knight pilots lords :S?) you could be clever and give him a title like duke/dux/duce (a lord of counts), count/earl (a lord of barons), or simply a baron (a lord of irl knights). It would kind of depend on how high you imagine him to be in the planet's hierarchy.

I find it difficult to reconcile scenarios wherein an organization either knew of the Fallen or was led by one of them, but somehow ends up being an ally of sorts.  It seems far-fetched.

Why not focus on the natural commonalities?  What if the Knight World in question had been an ally of the First Legion during the Great Crusade?  What if the Fallen in question began a rebellion there to overthrow them as a way of hurting the legacy/history of the First Legion?  If the Dark Angels arrived and crushed the revolt, it would be a great reason for re-kindling an alliance of old... even if said ties are the last thing the High Lords of Terra would want...  ;)

This might help you.

"A Knight is a small combat walker of the Adeptus Mechanicus that is a one-man version of a Titan and is smaller than even the ... Warhound-class Scout Titan used by the Titan Legions.    Knights normally deploy in squadrons ... The most common type of a Knight is about nine metres tall, with its head serving as the cockpit."

Archived