Wave Serpent Cover Saves

MagicMan

So played a game against Eldar the other day and found out why noone likes Wave Serpent. :)

One thing that i thought was strange, i assaulted the Serpent and inflicted a couple of Pens, but my opponent said he could use his 2+ cover save to downgrade the hits to glances.

I thought that was stupid, because you dont get cover saves in combat, but i let it slide cause i didn't want to interrupt the game and i was winning anyway. No need to piss in his cornflakes.

So whats the ruling? Does Ignore Cover (Dragonfire bolts, one of the Divination powers etc) also render the Serpent's shield useless? 

Thanks

The wave serpent doesn't work like that (its not a cover save at all). If something sounds strange, you should ask to read the rule, if nothing else, you get to know what the rule is for future reference.

The wave serpent has a special rule/wargear that lets them choose each game turn to either downgrade or shoot. The downgrade doesn't always work though, such as shots against the rear and close combat (which also hits the rear).

Since close combat circumvents the serpent shield, it's a great way of bringing down serpents.

Awesome, thanks. I guess next time i just need to have a flick through his codex. biggrin.png

Always a good option, particularly with Eldar due to their high number of special rules.

The Wave Serpent is powerful enough as it is, without any need for Eldar players to misrepresent the rules. verymad.gif

Quite possibly an honest mistake, he did after all even refer to it as a cover save. Chill out.

Archived