Imperial Guard Platoon and Flyers

Icarsun

So I've been trying to work this one out. Can I put IG Platoon Special Weapon Squads in Valkyries/Vendettas and deploy the rest of the Platoon as normal. I'm thinking this works due to the FAQ, but I'd like to check others interpretations on this.

Page 1 of the IG FAQ;

Page 96 – Infantry Platoon, second sentence
Change to: “Each Infantry Platoon is deployed in place of a
single unit in missions that limit the number units that can be
deployed. In addition when making a reserve or outflanking
roll, roll once for the whole Infantry Platoon. Any units in
reserve that are embarked upon a non-dedicated transport are
instead rolled for separately.”

I'm looking at this as saying, I have to either deploy an infantry platoon entirely or keep it in reserve entirely. However, if I choose to embark some of said platoon into a flyer transport, I'm permitted to do so and still have the rest of the platoon deployed normally.

The last sentence is the key in my opinion, though if my interpretation is incorrect, please correct me, fraters.

I believe that platoon elements deployed in non-dedicated tranports (e.g. Your SWS in a valk') are no longer, for deployment purposes, part of the platoon.

Platoon elements on foot and/or in dedicated transports deploy as one. Elements in non-dedicated transports are rolled for and deployed separately.

For example it's popular to put Al'rahem and his PCS in a Valkyrie or vendetta as the flyer will come on along with the entire platoon. If elements of the platoon are embarked on other Valkyries or vendettas in the same squadron as Al'rahem's then they all deploy together. Wham!

But if you deployed some elements of his platoon in Valkyries of a different squadron then they would have to be rolled for separately.

I suppose some might argue that the platoon is deployed as one unit and so you cannot, by embarking an element on a non-dedicated transport, split the platoon. They might argue that if part must be reserved (due to the flyer) then all of it must be.

One way round this might be to use a CCS rather than a SWS, if you can afford it (and are going for SWS weapon options other than demo charges). The orders (and, often overlooked: addition of grenades which the SWS lacks) are an added bonus, of course.

I'm looking at running it with SWS because I'm looking at running Guard as allies to my CSM, so given that it limits my slots (so only one CCS). Alternatively, I could do it with a CCS and PCS and allow me to take HWS instead of SWS. But yeah, your explanation is a better version of what I'm thinking. 

I'm toying with the idea of running a Fire Raptor with 2 Vendettas for support and Relic of the Armoury requires I take CSM as primary unless I take a Warpsmith.

Archived