Close combat scouts

ixzion

20 is overkill, 10 in a stormraven isn't too bad for late game scoring and/or picking off enemy units bad at close combat on the cheap.

Maybe you could use the other 10 for some wacky combo with vanguards, if scout sergeants have homing beacons?

I don't have my codex at hand but I do seem to recall the sergeants having access to teleport homers. The combination with the vanguards might be an interesting idea. The stormraven sounds also good, but I prefer to put something a bit more "killy" in it usually.

One idea that I have been thinking about is infiltrating 20 scouts as close to the enemy as possible and in the first turn also drop pod two fragiosos. The enemy would be kept quite busy dealing with all the threats which (hopefully) would mean that the rest of my force survive relatively intact. Would this be a viable tactic or are the scouts simply too weak to be a real threat to most armies?

Nice thing about close combat scouts is that theyre cheaper then assault marines but in alot of cases die just as easily as assault marines.

Vs howling banshees or bloodletters for example. All hit assault marines (and scouts) on 3's and ignore their armour. Scouts though are alot cheaper and dish out just as many attacks :)

If you can find a way to attach a cheap priest (and a naked priest at 50 pts is more then plenty) you might find that theyre a pain in the backside for your opponent to get rid off :lol: at the very least he will feel bummed out that scouts survive alot more then he feels they should teehee.gif

Put a PF on the sargeant if you want to give them a real punch. Even if its a powerfist people hold onto to the "scouts suck" mentality and stll dont consider it a threat. That is until the sargeant is instant-gibbing MEQ left and right and they find out the scouts get 2 attacks a piece and 3 on the charge :D if you roll a 1 for red thrist for these guys there an even more hilarious tarpit unit as the FC and fearless rule make them a pain in the backside to remove once they reach combat nuke.gif

When I take scouts, I give them at least 2 snipers, even if they are CC scouts - because you never know when you really need to pin a squad.

When I take CCW scouts, I give them at least 5 shotguns, because shooting :cuss up before going in makes even more sense with 4+

When I take CCW scouts, I give the Sergeant teleport homers no matter what, because nothing is more fun than charging a lol-scouts unit into your enemy's troops and teleporting in a squad of terminators with a heavy flamer to support.

I believe it was back in the third edition when using close combat armed Scouts was basically a method of getting a cheaper assault squad on the field and as mentioned above, this still holds true today. Like Assault Marines, they will need buffing to be effective (i.e. FnP, FC, etc) but they can still be of use, one just needs to plan their use more than our other choices.

• If you infiltrate them, you get your "cheap Assault Squad" close to the enemy. If they aren't dealt with, then they will likely charge next turn. They are effectively a speed bump. They also get a Scout move which whilst situational, can also cause problems.
  • Placed in reserve, they can either be brought on later in the game to grab a home objective, or outflanked to put pressure elsewhere (i.e a potential Linebreaker unit). Sadly they can't assault the turn they arrive but that's no different from anything else.
  • As mentioned above, put them in a Stormraven. This will keep them alive and because of how the rules are written, they don't roll dangerous terrain tests when performing Skies of Blood...

Personally I love the old metal models and have a bunch of them myself. I have used them in the current edition and they can do a job for us. Also the following link has some food for thought on their armament.

Indeed, I used to run a squad of CCW Scouts and a Rhino Tactical Squad to fulfill troops requirements in 3rd.  They were basically 4+ marines for all intents and purposes, still quite deadly on the charge.  Not so much anymore, but could be useful with a few points to spare.

I believe it was back in the third edition when using close combat armed Scouts was basically a method of getting a cheaper assault squad on the field and as mentioned above, this still holds true today. Like Assault Marines, they will need buffing to be effective (i.e. FnP, FC, etc) but they can still be of use, one just needs to plan their use more than our other choices.

• If you infiltrate them, you get your "cheap Assault Squad" close to the enemy. If they aren't dealt with, then they will likely charge next turn. They are effectively a speed bump. They also get a Scout move which whilst situational, can also cause problems.
  • Placed in reserve, they can either be brought on later in the game to grab a home objective, or outflanked to put pressure elsewhere (i.e a potential Linebreaker unit). Sadly they can't assault the turn they arrive but that's no different from anything else.
  • As mentioned above, put them in a Stormraven. This will keep them alive and because of how the rules are written, they don't roll dangerous terrain tests when performing Skies of Blood...

Personally I love the old metal models and have a bunch of them myself. I have used them in the current edition and they can do a job for us. Also the following link has some food for thought on their armament.

Could you elaborate on why they don't have to roll for dangerous terrain test when performing Skies of Blood from a Stormraven? 

I guess it's time to pull out the saw and start adding some power fists/axes/mauls to the sergeants!

Do you think 10 marine scouts could easily fill the role of 10 marine tactical squad? This thread has got me thinking based upon Demoulius's thoughts. I wouldn't want to give up my assault squad as it carries two melta guns filling an anti-tank role, however my tactical squad largely never does anything, but sit and chit chat and take selphies during the fight.

Could you elaborate on why they don't have to roll for dangerous terrain test when performing Skies of Blood from a Stormraven?

Sure smile.png

When disembarking over 6" a model deploys by Skies of Blood. To do this you deploy like you would a Deep Strike and if you roll a scatter on the scatter dice, every model must take a Dangerous Terrain Test. Scouts have the Move Through Cover USR which means they automatically pass any Dangerous Terrain Tests they are required to make.

Take that as you will smile.png

Scouts can essenstialy perform the same role as assault marines but take a few things into account.

They will be hit on 3's against anything with WS4 and up.

The will hit WS3 things on 4's.

Against anything with a higher then WS4 (and not higher then 6) they will perform exactly the same as assault marines. They will die faster if they have to rely on their AS's though hence why putting them against things that are AP3 the scouts perform better then assault marines... point for point anyway pirate.gif

Archived