The Vengeance Land Speeder

Prot

I have tried using it three times to my dissapointment, first time it did get hot but didn't lost HP, then it was killed by boltguns
Second time it managed to kill 3 tacticals from salamanders and rhino, before once again getting glanced by bolters from one unit of 10 scouts
Third time it managed to kill several tyranid bugs before dying in melee against big ugly thingy.

Overall, looks scary on paper but has to get close to harms way and harm it will recieve either from itself or S4 shooting as it is not worthy to being targeted even by missile launchers.
If ti was AV12, 36" range, t-linked with 3 HP I would consider it, but only consider it.

What will they do to fix it in the next codex? Av 12 and 3 HP?

Increase range of the Gigantic Plasma Cannons to be more than a hand held rifle version of the same gun?

AV11 3HP

Weapon profile:

24" S7 AP2 Heavy 1 Big explosion twin linked

24" S7 AP2 Assaut 4 twin linked

That would be worth 140pts

Minimum 36" dear sir, Minimum. That would make it more survivable. I think 48" is no where near too much to ask for such a glass cannon unit.    A

Ah yes, and Jeff we shouldn't have to wait for a new dex, GeeDub should fix their broken products immediately.

Minimum 36" dear sir, Minimum. That would make it more survivable. I think 48" is no where near too much to ask for such a glass cannon unit.

I think that only the assault 4 shooting mode should be 36" and still... Don't forget that it's a skimmer hence can move 12" and may shoot one weapon at full BS...

It gives the cannon an effective range of 36"...

So how about dealing with the present instead of wishlisting fo the future? ;) Helps the OP and everyone else more if we do the omelete with eggs that we have and not with eggs from unborn chickens. hehe

Well eggs ARE unborn chicken after all... So that's a first step... :lol:

In 2 months I guess the underdog challenge will introduce the Vengeance so maybe we'll get an idea... (And hopefully I'll have 2 LSV playable)

I think the biggest boon for the Landspeeder Vengeance is that you can field a pure Ravenwing army and have something to buy in the Heavy Support section. Before, you would have absolutely NOTHING in that slot - you'd have to rely on something green or white to lend you a hand. Okay, granted, you don't really have fast and heavy hitting things - but with a Vengeance, you kinda do.

I agree, sticking it together with some support seems like a great idea - but Plasma Scattering is just... a "pain" to put it mildly, lol

Then again, the entire concept of Plasma weapons are unpredictable and unwieldy that I kinda like how "random" it is - sure... coming back to kill yourself due to bad rolling is pretty bad... but in the essence of fun, it's pretty fun, lol - makes for a great narrative too!

I'd be very interested to see how three Vengeances Deep Striked into the heart of the enemy would do - like the Vindicator, its presence alone makes it a great "Look at me!" target for your opponent since at that range, even a bad scatter is a dangerous scatter!

The only way I've heard of it being used successfully (months ago in another thread) is to deepstrike it and shoot at rear armor on some tank...but the author of that post was unable to explain how this is better than doing the same thing with a (cheaper and S8!) typhoon...

/edit/

I can see where three of them would be more than 3x as effective as just one, due to target saturation, but that would assume that you got all three to come down together and not have a mishap...and even then, would it be worth the points cost?  Not at all!

What a payoff if it did though...

Sure, we're wading into Ork territory here with the unpredictablity... but I'd really like to believe that you can drop two or three Landspeeder Vengeances within a really good range of key enemy units - either behind enemy armour for that lovely low rear armour values or close enough to enemy 2+ saves. If you blow up/wreck, you at least have a chance at bringing something with you!

In all seriousness though, I think it's a tough choice in the Heavy Support section... It has a LOT to compete with! Large Blast though..

Archived