Puppet Master

JeffTibbetts

I rolled Puppet Master for my Libby in a small game. There were two points where he could target only one unit, who were not in range of any others. According the rules, I wasn't 100% clear if the units I mastered would be able to shoot at themselves. Seems like this would be quite possible... If you controlled a dude with a gun, why wouldn't you make him shoot the guy right next to him? The rule says you control him as though it's your model, which would make his unit an enemy unit, right? It also says, very confusingly: "it cannot target the unit it's in, including itself in the case of blast weapons." Which, to me, means that only applies to blast weapons since they can scatter onto itself? If they didn't allow targeting your own unit, why would they mention blast weapons at all? Why not just say "it can't target its own unit and leave it at that?

Of course it's open to debate. Anybody know if there's any kind of official response on this?

Puppet Master page 147, BRB

Puppet Master is a focussed witchfire power with a range of 24". The target immediately makes a shooting attack as if it were one of your models (this cannot target his own unit). After resolving the attack, the target shakes free of the Psyker's control and immediately reverts to the owning player's control.

BRB FAQ page 10 (top right)

Q: Is an enemy model affected by the Puppet Master psychic power treated as a friendly model for the purposes of resolving its shooting attacks (so, for example, cannot target an enemy unit with a blast weapon in a manner that would also hit itself)? (p423)
A: Yes.

1 - it's a focussed witchfire, so unless you roll 5 or less on your psychic test it hits a random model in the unit.
2 - the resultant shooting attack cannot target the unit that the puppet-model is in (as you quoted above) so the target model must direct his shooting attack at another enemy unit.
3 - the bit in the FAQ about blast weapons has no impact on "this cannot target his own unit" it just means that, were he to shoot a blast weapon at a nearby unit, the blast marker couldn't be placed (before rolling for scatter) in such a way that the puppet-model lies under it.

So in your example, there was only one unit in range of the power, who in turn were not in shooting range of any other enemy unit(s)
- therefore the power is useless against that target enemy unit.

I can't see how it is "open for debate" as it's clearly worded that you "cannot target his own unit".

Because you control the model, the unit it in would be considered an enemy unit- hence that restriction.

Because you can mix units, its possible to have them blow themselves up... hence the 'or itself in the case of blast weapons' restriction.

I think you may be over thinking it.

Archived