Can Cypher's formation be used with regular space marines ?

GreyCrow

Hi guys, I don't understand well how formations work and I have some questions to ask about the Cypher dataslate.

In his entry, it mentions he can be selected as part of any Human force, including loyalists.

His formation entry states that they are from the Chaos Faction, and that formations follow the same levels of alliance as allies.

If I got it correctly : On his own, Cypher can be used with a regular space marine army, but using his Chosen formation restricts him to be used along armies that can ally with Chaos space Marines ?

There are multiple ways to field Cypher. You can just take him by himself in any of the listed forces, or you can take him as part of the Fallen formation.

Cypher by himself can be used with loyalists, excluding dark angels, of course, and since he counts as coming out of your primary detachment he can join your units and even ride your transports and drop pods. However, the Fallen is a Chaos Space Marine formation, and as such by the formation rules may only be used by Chaos Space Marines or armies that can ally with Chaos Space Marines.

So as a loyalist, you can use Cypher the character, but can't get allied chosen out of the deal. Then again, there isn't much chosen can do, even with the formation buffs, that sternguard can't do better, so.... yeah. If your interest is more for thematic purposes, you could always paint a sternguard unit black or green and use some DA cloaks for pretend fallen.

Archived