Kro's Sons of Medusa - Revived

This should be the last update pic before the completed model, I'm waiting on weathering powders drying at the moment so that I can seal them and start adding some streaking effects.

This is the first tank I've built never mind painted and in doing so I've learned a lot that I will do different on my next one.  For a start I need to draw up and print some tank sized company icons and writing etc.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/kroweuk/IMG_2723.jpg

Gems and headlights still to do but i'll do the headlights last so that the OSL is on top of the weathering.

Kro

Just gorngeous man, seriously. And I love how you did the lascannons, with the glow in the rear coolant ribbons. That is a very nice approach, which I haven't seen before. I might steal that idea. Also, how do you mean 

[...] I'm waiting on weathering powders drying at the moment so that I can seal them. [...]

waiting for them to dry. Do you use a medium of some kind? Could you explain how you use them, because I'm a novice with weathering powders and would love to learn more.

Just gorngeous man, seriously. And I love how you did the lascannons, with the glow in the rear coolant ribbons. That is a very nice approach, which I haven't seen before. I might steal that idea. Also, how do you mean 

[...] I'm waiting on weathering powders drying at the moment so that I can seal them. [...]

waiting for them to dry. Do you use a medium of some kind? Could you explain how you use them, because I'm a novice with weathering powders and would love to learn more.

Me too! And your painting is ace =)

With the weathering powders I first cover the model with a coat of satin varnish, then I mix them with a little water/matt medium when applying them so that I can get them where I want them, once the mix dries I clean off any excess or where I want a bit of damage showing through with a cotton bud and a little bit of white spirit.

Same with the AK streaking grime, I water it down with white spirit and apply some pin washing to the rivets etc then use a thicker mix to apply the streaks, once they have dried a little I then brush down the streaks with neat spirit to blend them a little.

As always im learning still, and what has worked well on my minis needs a bit of refining to use on the vehicles but I'll get there eventually :)

With regards to the cooling coils on the lascannon, I did them like that only because I wanted a small focal point on the model, im not 100% convinced that it has worked or that its even the correct way to paint it but I do like it.

Kro

Good Morning Brothers, at last I have a finished Razorback complete in my new recipe green, once gleaming and clean, now dirty and scratched smile.png

You just cant get the staff to drive you around a battlefield in safety anymore ;P

I say finished but I have noticed a few items to touch up and i'm re painting the target lenses as they didn't look right to me

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/kroweuk/IMG_2733.jpg http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/kroweuk/IMG_2732.jpg

Hopefully you all approve of the damage/weathering and the headlights etc, as I have already mentioned there are a few little items to tough up before I start posting in the Hall of Fame etc like a bit of shading/highlighting on the bolter and the target lenses which when first painted were 'too' red with not enough contrast, i'll re paint them to fix, in these pictures I have re base coated them.

As usual comments and recommendations are welcomed with enthusiasm smile.png

Kro

Wow. Just wow. I love the weathering, the las-glow, the head lights OSL (where have I seen that before? whistling.gif ) and the fact you chose red as the spot colour for your bolters. You really applied yourself on this man. Beautiful work! Love to see some finished marines/characters.

As a side note, which rules are you using for them?

On another side note, what colours are you using for the green and the reds? What's the build up you're doing?

Edit: additional question.

Thanks for the comments guys, it really does mean a lot and shows me that i'm moving in the right direction with my attempts to get back in to the painting side of things. To address a couple of questions by Augustus -

which rules are you using for them?

I haven't played 40k since 1st/2nd edition time and even then only really played a few games as I was deployed a lot of the time. I'm hoping to get back in to the game though as I have the new rule book etc and have been glancing through it. Likely I will be beaten soundly by a ten year old several times and hang up my playing gloves for another 10 years lol

what colours are you using for the green and the reds? What's the build up you're doing?

The colours that I have used on the Razorback are the final colour choice for my marines, they are slightly more muted colours than the 'cartoony' Games Workshop choice but I wanted to reflect a more realistic palette. So here it is

• Prime with Vallejo grey surface primer
  • Base coat in Vallejo Flat Green (70968)
  • Layer (1) with Vallejo Luftwaffe Cam Green (70823)
  • Layer (2) with Vallejo Olive Green (70967)
  • Highlight with a 50:50 mix of Vallejo Olive Green and Vallejo Game color Escorpena Green (72032)

In between layers one and two I apply a couple of very thin coats of Vallejo Umber Shade wash (73203) letting each coat dry before checking and applying again until I get the effect i'm after.

That in a nutshell is the system I use to get my models to the pre-weathering/damage stages, at this point they get a coat of Matt varnish before I decide weather or not to risk destroying all my hard work by screwing up the next process lol. Obviously my character models etc will get a slightly refined painting process with more layers and wet blending etc, I also sometimes add a few drops of Vallejo Game Color Earth (72062) to my greens to dull them down a touch to make blending match.

I hope this helps mate!

Once again thanks for the comments, the next model up on the table will be one of my Terminators to see how the scheme works on them smile.png Expect slow progress and updates Brothers lol biggrin.png

Kro

Aha! I suspected your use of the upper echelons of Vallejo's green range. The touch of umber is new to me though - when I read it I immediately had that *click* of understanding - how that small touch helps blend the colours together. I will remember that technique - so thanks! See? This is why I love this forum - soo many people to share experience and techniques and ideas with, you learn something from everyone. thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

I completely agree Augustus, coming back in to the hobby from such a long break I have learned a hell of a lot from the players and painters on these forums, im pleased to be a part of the family and have a place to chat and swap ideas with others unlike the visits to GW stores and the hordes of 10 years olds shouting at the tops of their voices :P (Im getting to be an old grumpy Bastard lol)

As for tactics, the obvious choice is the Iron Hands and I will be asking for a lot of assistance from the ranks when it comes to making my first list lol :)

The razorback looks really good, ive always liked tge sons of medusa for their interesting scheme when compared to their parent chapter.

Id consider adding a little more bionics into the mix but thats just me.

Keep up tge good work :)

mate, this is shaping up to be a seriously awesome looking army...one of those armies that you would love to play against just so you could stare at the minis against youthumbsup.gif

great choice on the greens, using the vallejo colours really gives it that flat military look!

the weathering is spot on aswell, such an easy thing to go overboard with, nice to see ak interactive products making an appearance...are you combining both light and dark streaking grimes? i usually combine the 2 colours.

thanks for sharing!

Looked thru the thread again, rekindled my interest in the Badab War.  Going to be messing with my models, converting them to Star Phantom goodness.  Working on a Ven Dreadnought.

Keep up the good work, that paint job on the rhino is awesome, and a definite nod to pulling off their awesome paint scheme!

• 3 weeks later...

Woo... Badab 4 life! :p

The first pic of that razorback does NOT do it justice, great weathering and lovely OSL on the lascannon coils.

If this is your painting standard, an army to this quality will rock!

By the way I totally hear ya on the stores thing. It's tricky finding the right environment for a mature gamer... I don't like stores with the 'excitable' adult gamers...

Really liking the OSL and zenithal (sp?) highlights. Sons of Medusa aren't a very common scheme. If that's your idea of painting when you're a bit rusty I'm looking forward to what kind of work you produce once you've blown off the cobwebs!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived