Command squad protection

Darktemplar10

Im sure this has been mentioned in posts before.

But I would like some fresh input.

Banner command squads, every DA list usually has one.

I wanna go over their transport/ protection options and see which method most DA players use.

1. On foot- sit in a piece of cover boosted by tech marine. Depending on scenery being used, enclosed bunker in wall of martyrs is great. Apothecary is a must I think here. Cheapest but most vulnerable.

2. Razorback- seems like a solid choice. Cheaper option. Also can provide additional fire support. I would go twin linked las here.

3. Landraiders- (crusader) seems best option with banner of devastation. Although most expensive it provides best protection and firepower.

Please add to this ! I'm sure there's something I'm not thinking of. Are these are only options? If so which do u use and why? Thanks

Terminator armour is another 'protection' option. Best with a Termy Libby + PFG.

While we are about it - bikes offer good protection too (T5) plus the RW Command squad can benefit directly from the banner - which is one thing the Terminators can't do ;). Again go with Libby on bike + PFG as the unlocker HQ.

Cheers

I

I'm away from my codex right now so I can't double check, but doesn't the RW command squad have plasma talons? They wouldn't benefit from the banner if they do. I do like using the terminators though, DW assault turn 2 also helps keep them safe until your marines are in position to actually use the banner.

EDIT: I'm also not sure I would bother with a PFG for the DW command squad, given how cheap the TH/SS setup is for them.

DW command squad w/ 4x storm shields, an apothecary (unless you're using fortitude of course) inside a DW land raider (choose your poison) This should do a pretty solid job of keeping your command squad safe.

Deathwing and ravenwing aside, what other options are there.

I was thinking the fortress of redemption maybe

The fortress of redemption is a good use for the Dakota banner because if you put your command squad IN the central bunker, they can shot by the openings AND the 6" bubble is measured from the entire central building... Meanin that :

A squad on the building

A squad on the lateral bunker with the Icarus lascannons

AND a squad on the lateral bunker with the big missiles launcher,

They all can profit from the effect of the banner... Hence creating a fortress impossible to take...

And for pretty much the same points as a landraider ! Not to shabby and it's pretty fluffy ! DA protecting their fortress of angels (redemption) banner flying high bolters blaring

Azreal is another great idea too ! Buff the squad !

I guess in that sense just a PFG and most of these options is nice combo.

I think the LRC is the best option you just gain so much out of it.  Sure it's expensive but it's a landraider! not an easily poppable razorback.  That isn't to say Razorback is bad of course.

I disagree with placing them in terrain unless you're able to sit on an objective or two and just let your enemy come to you, only problem with that with all the long ranged firepower, even with a cover save they won't be long for this world.  Also agree with the apoth.

Terminators are really good, especially if you give them all (or some) 3++, would never spend on an apoth, too expensive and you lose a powerfist!

It's funny that the command squad I think was conceived as ablative wounds for our HQs to make them a little tougher, but instead they've become the more important asset of our army to protect.

If I were inclined to "protect" my command squad with AV11, I would NEVER spend the points for a razorback.  What are the chances of it surviving turn one?  I mean, realistically?  With a dakkapole inside?  C'mon, man!  That, of course, is why I would never waste points on an AV11 shell for my command squad.  It really does exactly nothing to keep them alive...If they were somehow untargetable for the rest of the turn when their vehicle was destroyed, I wouldn't hesitate.  It would ensure that they don't die until turn two!  But as it is, the sort of shooting that is needed to kill the rhino isn't really taking away from the enemy's ability to shoot the squad inside.  If anything, it's taking away from his shooting against other vehicles...but that doesn't do much for the command squad.  If I didn't put them inside a crusader, I'd just try to put them out of LOS.  But I'd put them inside a crusader.  Probably in TDA, as well.

I'm away from my codex right now so I can't double check, but doesn't the RW command squad have plasma talons.

Ouch. Yes you're quite right. For some reason always think they're just on the Knights!! Thanks for pointing it out :)

The interesting thing I find, is are we are coming up with ways to spend points on protecting a single item... sure the Standard of Devastation can be a great weapon, but at what cost? How effective is it really? I find the tactic of putting so much of your army in a clump to be within 6" of the banner pretty risky. In 4 or 5 games I've played I've found that only once have I ever used the SoD to its full potential with one tactical squad, and while it was impressive amount of fire, I just found for the points sunk into the Command Squad, it just wasn't worth it game after game. I foot slogged it, because I have no vehicles. You have to stay static to get the Salvo 4 benefit, and it's  never good being static. In really high points games, I think it's fine, but in your average 1500-2000 pt games, your sinking tons of points into something that really (when you look beyond the oooooooooh factor) is somewhat mediocre. 

Just my experiences and opinions, so please, nobody freak out! I'm not the most experienced player / list builder.

Same here Sox; on the RWCS it is better as bikes can spread more easily with the big bases and can use it on the move, but I still prefer the SoF for them though.

My opponents don't often charge at me, they try to out shoot me from 30" msn-wink.gif damned xenos.

I think the banner can be worth it given the right army list and play style, but it's not for everyone (contrary to what nearly the entire Internet says), and you have to build your list around it. I hate static gunlines myself, and it's a lot of firepower but completely useless outside 24". I think I might like it in a drop pod list, coming in from reserves so that it drops when everything else is in a proper position, but I don't have enough pods to really test that out. I do think that keeping them off the board and deep striking them is a decent way to keep them safe on the cheap, though.

Thanks for all the input.

Like I said originally I just wanted to go over all the options available to the command squad.

If someone was to use the banner, he/she would want it to survive since their army list is built around it. If it doesn't survive well that's 40k and your tactics must evolve.

With that being said, I agree with the crusader probable being the "best protection" hence mobile AV14, 4HP, and PFG.

But it all depends on what you want ...

So far these look like the options

-On foot (out of LOS or in cover with PFG and apothecary)

-Landraider (Preferably crusader)

-Razorback (poor mans landraider)

-Rhino (why I dunno cuz they can)

-Drop pod (could work like CardinalVirtue said)

-Deathwing terminator command (2+/3++not bad)

-Ravenwing command (mobile, bigger base,T5, apothecary,PFG, why not)

-Fortress of redemption (castle of death)

-Imperial bastion, sky shield, wall of martyrs fire bases. (Big guns and room for tacticals)

-Azrael (badass)

- don't take the banner because you want to move your models after you've deployed :)

If I were inclined to "protect" my command squad with AV11, I would NEVER spend the points for a razorback.  What are the chances of it surviving turn one?  I mean, realistically?  With a dakkapole inside? 

Worked fine for me testing out the Azzy + 4 x 10-man bolter tac squads + dakka banner on power armour command squad build. My opponent's devastators and Stormraven took pot-shots at my rhino all game, but never managed to take it out completely.

Archived