Chapter Master and Ultramarines

Butters

I played in a tournament and a guy took a Chapter Master and the Ultramarines. Normally this wasn't a problem but since its Ultra's your chapter master is Calgar.  There aren't any rules stating that you have to take Calgar if you take an Ultras army and a chapter master, but I feel like it's kind of a given.  Also its was a 1000pt tournament so it was a free way to squeeze in a chapter master.  Am I right or does he actually have to take Calgar? 

Also, who says you are necessarily playing the Ultramarines in the "present" of M41 999?  There were Chapter Masters before Calgar.  There will be Chapter Masters after him (assuming Ultramar survives).  Or the "Chapter Master" could represent some other high ranking Ultramarine honcho.  It's not like they bioengineer the stat bump into the candidate as soon as he is promoted. 

Profile-wise, what is a Chapter Master but a harder, choppier Captain?

And as mentioned by Brother Tyler, he could very well be a Captain who likes employing his strike cruiser's weapons as danger-close support. He might even be the heir apparent to the Chapter Master (kinda like how the Secret Service still protects the line of succession).

As long as your opponent is aware that you're using the chapter master profile you could refer to him as a captain, Marshal (if you're a BT player) or any other high ranking space marine. Besides the Iron Hands don't even have a proper chapter master yet Iron Hands players still field them. Heck they even say in the Codex that you can take special characters like Lysannder and Calgar and use them in your own successor chapter as long as your army has the corresponding chapter tactics for that character.

So long as the opponent tells you what his army is, it can be anything. For all practical purposes I could show up with Ultramarine-painted marines and play them as a chaos lord and chaos marines. Just as long as the weapons are wysiwyg, not too much of a big deal, except for a surprise if the opponent is not paying attention.

I thought people confirm what is what before games start as I do...

I know some people insist showing his list after the game for hidden upgrade options(mostly WHFB tho), but confirming "this is my warlord captain and that is a chapter master but I call him captain" is just too fair to be refused to me.

Archived