Building a Corbulo Deathstar

Bartali

How best to utilize Corbulo tanking for a unit ?

As a basic idea :-

Librarian

Inquisitor w/ Liber Heresius, Pysker

Corbulo

10x TH/SS Terminators

is 720pts

Inquisitor gives the unit Scout (with a passed leadership test), Psy-Out Grenades and another source of Divination. Librarian also rolls on Divination, with Corbulo tanking.

Thoughts, alternative suggestions ?

Edit - A possible list idea at 1500

Librarian

Inquisitor w/ Liber Hersius, Psyker

Corbulo

10x TH/SS Terminators

Furioso Dreadnought w/ Claws, Pod

2x 5 ASM w / Flamer, TL-HF Razor

DC w/ some stuff, Pod

DC Dread w/ Claws, Pod

More points, add more ASM. in Razors

For that 720pts:

Shrike (he's 160 ish, right?)

13 DC, bolters, jump packs.

7 power weapons.

Throw in a BA divination libraian for funsies.

The termie star is just so big and slow.

Shrike also gives one of the stealth/shrouded to the DC turn 1.

For that 720pts:

Shrike (he's 160 is has saint ?)

7 power weapons.

Big is fine as that gives you board control. They are indeed slow, but Scout is putting them into assault in your opponents deployment zone turn 2.

The problem with DC is that a 35pt 1W 3+ body isn't that durable in today's game

So he does. I don't see where he gets Shrouded from, though.

I said stealth/shrouded - I couldn't remember which he gave.

Infiltrating terms is ok. It was a big part of 5th ed SM lists, Shrikenators. That died out, though.

Combining them with podded troops to absorb some of the anti infantry firepower is a good idea.

I posted an army list a month or so ago that used Corbulo and Lysander tanking for centurions. That way you've got an eternal warrior close combat beast and Corbulo tanking for a big ol pile of shooting. Add in a librarian with prescience and you've got yourself a Death Star! True, not terribly fast but 5x prescience centurions are putting out a LOT of hurt.

I posted an army list a month or so ago that used Corbulo and Lysander tanking for centurions. That way you've got an eternal warrior close combat beast and Corbulo tanking for a big ol pile of shooting. Add in a librarian with prescience and you've got yourself a Death Star! True, not terribly fast but 5x prescience centurions are putting out a LOT of hurt.

The limited mobilty on that is crippling though.

For that 720pts:

Shrike (he's 160 is has saint ?)

7 power weapons.

Big is fine as that gives you board control. They are indeed slow, but Scout is putting them into assault in your opponents deployment zone turn 2.

The problem with DC is that a 35pt 1W 3+ body isn't that durable in today's game

DC just need a diversion so they don't get focused on.  They are durable with their FnP, but you have to be smart with them.  Can't just run them around the board and stop to smell the roses.  My point is, when a unit is grossly expensive, and good at killing everything they assault, you need to keep them protected until the right time to strike.  As for that DC unit with Shrike, it lacks a chaplain or reclusiarch.  Those re rolls are crucial.

Podded units right in front of your enemy will force them to deal with them, while your DC are able to be in combat most likely by turn 2.  I use fragiosos, but cheaper units have the same(ish) effect.  20 marines with bolters is still a threat, and will allow your DC unit to get in close for a counter charge or take on the bigger threats.

If you want a super killy unit of DC, put them in a LR Crusader, armed with few fists and power weapons, infernus pistols, corbs for 2+ FnP tanking, a terminator libby w/ storm shield for divination, and a chaplain with a fist for the re-rolls in combat.  Expensive, but oh well, thats the name of the game.  Still have room for another couple of good scoring units and a raven for air support.

So for 1750pts I can get:

HQ: Libby in terminator armour w/storm shield 145pts

HQ: Reclusiarch w/ power fist 145pts

ELITES: Corbulo 105pts

Sang Priest 50pts

TROOP: 2x 9 man assault squad in pods w/ 1 melta gus (w/Priest) 182pts

1x10 man assault squad in pod w/ 2 melta guns 210pts

1x 6 man assault squad in pod w/ 1 melta gun 128 pts

1x10 man DC w/ 2 power fists, 3 power weapons, 2 infernus pistols, Land Raider Crusader w/ Multi-Melta 585pts

HEAVY SUPPORT: Storm Raven w/ TLAC, TLMM 200pts

All your characters run with the DC, and you drop the 2 full pods down turn 1, hopefully giving you FnP to both squads if you can position it properly.  Never tried it, but looks decent on paper.  Lots of anti tank, lots of CC attacks, anti air, and AV14.

The limited mobilty on that is crippling though.

Definitely agree - you need to accompany this kind of build with a solid deep strike/drop pod type unit(s).  Once I get it painted up Ill be rolling a toned down version of this death star with 2x storm ravens and dante/sanguinary guard.

Something i've always wanted to run is corbullo, Ezekiel with presience and 7 deathwing knights in crusader. They'll have good mobility and protection until they reach the front lines, toughness 5 and 2+ 3++ for the terminators will be will absorb anything that could insta kill corbullo; corbullo then will tank all the small arms fire thats tossed his way......now if only there was a way to toss it wil not die on grandmaster tankenstien....

Archived