Modelling the Hand of Darkness

Hi Guys

Looking to make a Black Legion Terminator lord with the Hand of Darkness. The only thing I could think of was a massive claw I had lying around. Problem is I think he ends up looking a bit too much like the despoiler (Probably not helped by using the FW Abaddon model as a base).

So any suggestions? I kinda like it as it stands, but I'm open to anything.

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg586/clarkus-maximus/2014-02-09104803_zpsf964a854.jpg

Also I don't know what else to arm him with. I was going to replace the combi-bolter with the HoD, leaving the power weapon to give him an additional attack, but that leaes him with no ranged attack, and further reinforces the Despoiler theme.

cheers guys

Its such a nice terminator body. 

I agree it does look a bit like the talon. how about the hand of darkness being a withered hand and forearm, perhaps holding a flame or crystal and held aloft. just to be clear, its someone elses hand and forearm. you could get it from the zombie kit. 

I like that as an idea, it makes it more like a talisman of the dark gods than a glorified power fist

henrywalker, on 09 Feb 2014 - 11:28, said:

Its such a nice terminator body.

I agree it does look a bit like the talon. how about the hand of darkness being a withered hand and forearm, perhaps holding a flame or crystal and held aloft. just to be clear, its someone elses hand and forearm. you could get it from the zombie kit.

I like that as an idea, it makes it more like a talisman of the dark gods than a glorified power fist

thanks for the reply!

I had that thought, but I have concerns about how that could be a Sx2, Armourbane, Fleshbane, AP1 Melee weapon. I suppose if he was holding it out, the crystal/flame pointed as if it was a short ranged flame weapon that could work?

Keep the ideas coming guys, it all helps smile.png

It's a Chaos weapon. Could be the size of a watch and do D type damage. It's all powered by whatever is bound to it so don't get hung up on real world dynamics. Go for what looks good to you and let your opponent know before games start.

The Hand of Darkness could be anything. I at first just imagined a scary looking glove or gauntlet of sorts, but it could be ring, a dagger or a mace. Maybe a mace with the head shaped like a hand holding a sphere? I dunno, it could be a knuckle duster for all we know.

What I don't think it is is a powerfist, or anything as big as one. If I remember correctly, the first times it was mentioned was during the Eye of Terror/Gothic War era, when Abaddon used it to somehow unlock the Blackstone Fortresses, and it was never portrayed as a weapon, more like a strange artefact that could be used as a key.

It could even look like a little box or casket, like the boxes the Dark Eldar use for for their bound daemon stuff and psycher essences.

Would be kinda fun if it looked like a box with the 'Hand of Darkness' contained within. When you open it a big red boxing glove attached to a spring shoots out and totally destroys whatever is hit. tongue.png

What I don't think it is is a powerfist, or anything as big as one. If I remember correctly, the first times it was mentioned was during the Eye of Terror/Gothic War era, when Abaddon used it to somehow unlock the Blackstone Fortresses, and it was never portrayed as a weapon, more like a strange artefact that could be used as a key.

It could even look like a little box or casket, like the boxes the Dark Eldar use for for their bound daemon stuff and psycher essences.

Bingo, it's not a weapon, per se, but a tool that can be used as a weapon. But its rules could easily represent one of many weird wonders of the universe.

Personally, I always imagined it as a totem, like the Ibraesil craftworld rune.

https://skins.hiveworldterra.co.uk/images/DawnOfWar/Iybraesil_banner.jpg

That's good xenith, know where I can get one from? msn-wink.gif

I appreciate the response fellas. I've lost the claw and given him a power axe as his other weapon (the HoD only gives you a single attack, so the power axe would be helpful cutting down regular infantry).

I just need an appropriate item for him to be holding out now. Suggestions would be most appreciated smile.png

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg586/clarkus-maximus/2014-02-09211445_zpsef0fbf08.jpg

(Also I'm looking at different heads if anyone's interested?)

Just had a thought: How about a hand held device like the one Ra uses in Stargate, one that is kind of like a glove with a gem on the palm of the hand, and extends up the forearm, Im pretty sure they use those to control their ships, and also to kill folks.

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/attachments/2370d999884005-ribbon-devices-0301_ribbon_device.jpg

Your lord already has the right pose, just a gem in the palm of the hand, paint the fingertips gold, and then a gold spiral up the forearm if you can manage it!

As long as you let your opponent know what it is, then what it is modelled like shouldnt be an issue.

Only thing with that is risking it looking too much like a psycher. I'd go with a cube or something held in the hand. Then again, that could be the Pinhead fan talking.

There is a Skaven gem bit that looks great posed in one of the Grey Knight termi hands. It's open flat (ish) and the gem fits in it well, once you do a little converting (which I see you like to do anyways!!). Might give it a go...

End of Line

Edit: there I go, giving away all my secrets...

There is a Skaven gem bit that looks great posed in one of the Grey Knight termi hands. It's open flat (ish) and the gem fits in it well, once you do a little converting (which I see you like to do anyways!!). Might give it a go...

End of Line

Edit: there I go, giving away all my secrets...

Do you mean one of these?

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1181884_99060206007_SkavenPoisonGlobardierMain_445x319.jpg

If not can you link what you do mean? cheers

This is the bit I am referring to:

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac194/Khyron666/Untitled.png

It's from the Skaven Plage Monk kit, and is the Standard top icon thingy. If you shave down the claw bits and place it in an open terminator hand, it looks very cool (IMO). It's wider than the hand is, so it comes off looking a lot like a warped crystal ball.

End of Line

Cheers for all the help guys, it's really appreciated.

I think I'm gonna go for the totem claw on the Ogre Fantasy Firebelly:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1940322a_99810213004_Firebelly02_873x627.jpg

May possibly even use the flames from the kit as a nurgle wytchblast or somesuch

Archived