Iron Hands Snipers (Mechanicum Thralls)

Dobermann

After many thoughts and many months, I found a way to represent a unit of SM scout snipers in my army.
 I was never found of the concept of Iron Hands scout. The IH chapter is not the one to field such a unit in my opinion.
But I wanted a way to field such a cheap unit, especially in small games (i.e. 1000 pts).

The idea came with the recent release of the FW thralls.
I would use Mechanicum servitors as scout!
There is a strong bound between my chapter and the Adeptus Mechanicus, so the priests of Mars will be more than happy to contribute with some technical improved thralls and Skitarii.

The following models represent a unit of Scouts armed with sniper rifles.
The model are made of bits from Anvil Industries 'regiment' bionics,  space marines heads, Maxmini sniper rifles, and torsos from old Warzone Imperial plastic models.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fDCKv3_w75c/UvpZfDVulhI/AAAAAAAAAgU/h4HXsXsYle8/s1600/iron-hands-snipers-mechanicum-thralls-1.jpg

Yeah, my take on IH fluff is that bionics increase with duration of service, the first being the hand after completing initiation from the Scouts. However, the idea of a bionic/thrall scout squad seconded from the Mechanicus works, and looks quite good.

If there's any fault, it's that the SM heads are a bit out of proportion, and perhaps trying standard scout heads would work, or even kitbashed 'droid' heads. Unsure if there's any IG plastics with bionic heads or similar....?

I think it's an excellent idea and you've definitely put some cool touches on the unit. I really dig the sniper rifles.

I do agree with the others on the heads though, some just look a tad too big.

So you might consider doing a couple of things:

1. Look at some other head manufacturers

2. Consider using some bare IG heads, gs a cloth hood on them, then stick something like lenses and grills on their faces. The hood will cover up annoying details, while letting you keep most of the face in shadows, which also strikes me as Mechanicum like.

You are definitely on the right track and almost there...also, while the creative juices were going, putting some sort of back pack on one or two might help break up the profiles and give you some additional visual variability.

Cheers,

Archived