5th Company - "First In, Last Out"

Dark Haven

"And the angels of darkness descended upon pinions of fire and light...the great and terrible Dark Angels." -Old Caliban Folk tale

The point of this thread is to record the painting and battle progress of my army, the Dark Angels 5th company. I have taken the established fluff for the 5th and added my own touch to it. Both Balthasar and myself are new to a Dark Angel's Command position. Though my painting is table top at best, I hope that it will inspire others to paint up their army too. My goal is to have a fully painted Battle Company with all the required auxiliaries. For now, I will be mostly focusing on the painting part, but I will keep an open battle roster that honestly shows all of my victories and defeats. At the moment the only battle my 5th Co. has fought in was a 12k megabattle against Tyranids (the Echidna Incident). 

"The 5th Company, youngest of the Chapter's Battle Companies and eager for battle, stands ready."

Order of Battle

Head Quarters:

Company Master Balthasar - The Knight Errant, Avenger, Keeper of the Fellbane

"Balthasar is the Company Master of the Dark Angels 5th Company. Balthasar only recently took command of his company, promoted from his post as a Deathwing Sergeant to succeed Company Master Zadakiel after his death at the ends of the Crimson Slaughter. His lifetime of servitude to the Deathwing has honed him into a crafty and cunning tactician. He holds a great personal anger against the Crimson Slaughter for murdering his mentor. He is the youngest officer in the chapter and many of the other Masters see him as an upstart who has yet to earn his place. Balthsar is the wielder of the fourth Heavenfall blade, Fellbane. This is an unusual indulgence on behalf of the Chapter's Supreme Grand Master Azrael, but when complaints are brought to Azrael's ears he says nothing and gives only a small smile."

Command Staff

Epistolary Enoch - Black Blade, Farsight, The Old Seraph

"Enoch is the only Librarian that currently serves the 5th company, the rest all perished during the Echidna Incident. He is also the oldest Astartes in the 5th save for the Company's dreadnought, Brother Obadiah. For 600 years Enoch has served the Chapter and the 5th with honor, noted for being a fine teacher as well as a warrior. Enoch sees in the younger brothers the hope of the chapter and has trained many of the chapter's finest Lexicanums and Codiciers. He survived the Echidna Incident barely alive after battling a Tyranid Trygon single handedly. Though the 5th was victorious that day, all of his apprentices and fellow Librarians perished. Enoch is a Master of the Divination Discipline and thus feels responsible for the deaths of his fellow Librarians believing that he should have foreseen it. Though normally quite stoic the old Librarian nurses a dark grudge towards to the Tyranids. Only time will tell what this means for the Old Seraph and the Chapter. He alone must now stand vigil over the perils of the Warp for the sake of his company. "

Librarium Command Squad

N/A

Interrogator-Chaplain Seraphicus - Soul Warden, The Gate Keeper, Reclusiarch

Seraphicus is an Interrogator-Chaplain of the Dark Angels and Reclusiarch of the 5th company. He was trained by the Chapter's Master of Santicty Sapphon.  He took part in the Battle for Bane's Landing in M41, fighting alongside Company Master Balthasar, and the Pandorax Campaign. His personal files in the Chapter's Librairum were sealed after his tour of duty with the Death Watch. All that is currently known about him is that he serves as the 5th Company's Reclusiarch and recently returned from a closed meeting with Master Sapphon holding a rosary with a Black Pearl.

Reclusium Command Squad

N/A

ELITES

Venerable Brother Obadiah - The Old One, Claw of the Deathwing, Great Bear

"Inactive duty status. Plain's World name: Great Bear. Entered the Great Sleep following the Echidna Incident."

Deathwing Squads - Ajax and Erebos

"All access requires approval from the Company Master."

TROOPS

Tactical Squad 1 - "Primus" , Veteran Sgt. Gideon. Plain's World Name: "Spirit Warrior"

Tactical Squad 2 - "Secundus" , Veteran Sgt. Joshua. Plain's World Name: "Night Feather"

Tactical Squad 3 - "Tertius" , Veteran Sgt. Abel. Plain's World Name: "Stone Hand"

Tactical Squad 4 - "Quartus" , Sgt. Hector

Tactical Squad 5 - "Quintus" , Sgt. Isiah

Tactical Squad 6 - "Sextus" , Sgt. Raziel

N/A

FAST ATTACK

Assault Squad 1 - "Angel's Fury" , Veteran Sgt. Jonah. Plain's World Name: "Fire Walker"

Assault Squad 2 - "Angel's Wrath" , Sgt. Nestor

N/A

HEAVY SUPPORT

Devastator Squad 1 - "Gods of Death" , Veteran Sgt. Ethan. Plain's World Name: "Hawk's Cry"

Devastator Squad 2 - "Iron Guard" , Veteran Sgt. Hazael

Company Ironwing

1x Whirlwind Artillery Tank - "Sunder", Drivers: Brother Felix & Brother Homer

Additional Ironwing Elements

N/A

Auxillery Ravenwing Elements

N/A

Battle Record:

M20.13.12.14 - Echinda Incident - "Entire company was mobilized with elements from the Deathwing to link up with Logan Grimnar's Space Wolf Great Company and Marneus Calgar's 2nd and 1st Company of the Ultramarines to fight the Tyranids. Azrael fought Grimnar in the Lion and the Wolf honor duel and triumphed. In addition, Supreme Grand Master Azrael authorized the use of the Banner of Devastation. On the ridge line of the Iron Hills it was planted and many Tyranids were slain. Master Balthasar oversaw the defense of those hills and commanded his men with distinction, slaying an entire brood of Ravenor's singlehandedly. Tragically, Assault Squads 1, 2 and Tactical Squad Quintus suffered crippling losses, but the day was won through a coordinated Deathwing drop on top of the swarm killing three Tyrants, thus giving Calgar the opening he sought to engage and then slay the Swarm Lord. Tactical Squad Primus distinguished itself by slaying a Tyrannofex and Mawloc with deadly accurate bolter fire. All junior librarians were lost. In memory of their honored dead, Master Balthasar has commanded that the company paint their weapons black." --VICTORY

Pics coming today! My tacts and Company master. 

Company Master Balthasar

Tactical Squad 3 - "Tertius" , Veteran Sgt. Abel. Plain's World Name: "Stone Hand"

Epistolary Enoch - Black Blade, Farsight, The Old Seraph

Tactical Squad 3 Plasma Gunner - Brother Tobias

Tactical Squad 1 - "Primus" , Veteran Sgt. Gideon. Plain's World Name: "Spirit Warrior" - As the Vet. Sgt. for 1st Squad, Gideon wears the Laurels of Victory signifying his position as 3rd in command after the Company Master and Reclusiarch. 

Greetings Brother!

His name is Stone Hand because it's a bionic hand and before the Echidna Incident Abel was known for his rock steady pistol aim even while sprinting over rough terrain. 

In my Army, only the Vet. Sgts and higher will have Plain's World names. Certain squads will not have a Vet Sgt. for a few games since they were wiped out in the previous game. Got to train them up!

Since today I'm snowed in, I shall be working on completing Tactical Squad Primus. This is taking longer than I thought due to drilling bolters and scrapping those dang mold lines, but I am thoroughly enjoying this.  Pics will hopefully come today along with more background. 

Please, any feedback would be great. 

This is taking longer than I thought due to drilling bolters and

scrapping those dang mold lines, but I am thoroughly enjoying this.

Pics will hopefully come today along with more background.

Yes, but the drilling barrel and the mold line scrapped are really so beautifull !

It's not lost time Bro' !

I follow your subject with interest ;)

"Awesome sauce. Always glad to see an Isiah in the battle order"

Complete accident, but thanks! Besides, according to 40k lore Dark Angels assign names with a long history associated with them. It is the duty of a Dark Angel to live up to the lineage of their given chapter name. 

More updates today!

if i recall isnt lexicanum the highest rank of a Librarian and epistolary the lowest? i dont think a epistolary would train Lexicanums and codiciers considering they are below them.

outside that love what u have done fluff wise, very cool. I am a diehard DA fan but i dont think Azrael could best Grimnar in a fight, hate to say it LOL

"1x Whirlwind Artillery Tank - "Sunder", Drivers: Brother Felix & Brother Homer"

An ancient rhino chassis that has been used by the 5th since the dark days of the Scouring, a proud and mighty weapon of war that is aptly named: Sunder. 

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o777/BlackSword/IMG_0343_zpsf4b73ca2.jpg

"Tactical Squad 2 - "Secundus" , Veteran Sgt. Joshua. Plain's World Name: "Night Feather""

Second senior Sgt. of the 5th Co., named Night Feather for his long tour of duty as a Training NCO in the 10th Co. Uses an ancient ad particularly brutal power fist simply called, "the Ripper".

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o777/BlackSword/IMG_0346_zpsf0f0a640.jpg 

5th Co. Deployed in response to the Tau and Eldar threat. A Demi Company of Three Tacticals, Two Devastators and an Assault Squad were mobilized to combat this threat. Enroute to the drop zone, A Space Wolf Great Company commanded by Ulrik the Slayer arrived in system. 

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o777/BlackSword/IMG_3621_zpsd79176f1.jpg

In honor of the Primarchs, Veteran Sergeant Gideon faced off against Lukas the Trickster during The Lion and The Wolf Duel.

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o777/BlackSword/IMG_3622_zpsdbdfa381.jpg

Ultimately, Lukas' I5 got the better of Gideon. 

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o777/BlackSword/IMG_3623_zpseaf8d6fe.jpg

Battle Record:
M20.14.02.17 - Operation Angel Fang - "On the planet D-5 in the Regal Sector was an ancient battle shrine erected in honor of a battle site where Russ and The Lion fought together against the ancient Eldar.  Thousands of years later, the Eldar returned with Tau allies to exact revenge and destroy the shrine. The Dark Angel's strike cruiser, Archangel, was in system on a routine patrol with half the 5th company on D-6 undergoing a live fire training mission when Epistolary Enoch detected a psychic signal. Quickly recognizing the foul witchery of the Eldar at work, the old Librarian mobilized his troops and raced to the shrine. Along the way, they encountered another strike cruiser bearing the symbol of the Space Wolves. After a quick honor duel, both chapters combined forces and launched an all out assault on the shrine. Despite fierce resistance, the Dark Angel drop pod assault landed on top of the Tau and destroyed many of their armored assets, while the Whirlwind, Sunder, eradicated entire squads of Tau and Eldar. In the end, the fierce charge of the Space Wolves and unrelenting firepower of the Dark Angels shattered the Eldar and Tau. The Shrine was preserved and the honor of each Chapter's Primarch was saved. --VICTORY"

Archived