Shooting through units

Ulrock

Can unit A who is behind friendly unit B shoot at enemies? A friend and I are new to game, and discussing it. I said that you can't shoot trough friendly units at all just within the squads but he believes they can just a 5+ cover save. So we are both confused now any help appreciated for two noobs.

Only your own unit doesn't suffer from the cover save penalty when shooting through it's own models.  Otherwise, all other units, friendly or enemy, provide 5+ covers saves if being shot through.  They do not, however, block LOS unless they are a vehicle.

Firing through another unit gives a 5+ cover save.  You also must be able to draw Line Of Sight between the units.

A model may fire through other models in the same unit without granting a cover save, but any other unit (friendly or enemy) will grant a cover save, if LOS can be drawn.

I don't have my BRB with me, but it is in there.

Actually, they can block LOS, depending on the units in question and their relative orientations to each other.

If Unit A is a Scout Sniper squad and they are behind Unit B which is a Land Raider, then yes, LOS can be easily blocked.

However, if Unit B is a Tactical Squad, then LOS is far more difficult to block and would require a set up so eccentric it would make the Cirque de Soleil seem like a 2-bit street carnival, which would allow for LOS to be achieved and a Cover Save provided.

See I'm confused on the blocking line of sight. I'm coming from bolt action and flames of war where you can't shoot through units and that makes sense to me. Even in real life your not going to shoot through a friendly unit to your front. So a infantry unit doesn't block line of sight? I understand a big vehicle that should be a given.

A few things to keep in mind.

This is not Bolt Action.  This is not Real Life™.  It is not even a real war game.  It is at best a beer and pretzel version of space fantasy Risk that gives people a chance to show off their painted models.  I don't mean to be condescending or anything, just that this is the adult version of boys throwing pebbles at plastic army men and little more.  You are going to find a few hundred things that don't make sense if you start looking too hard. :lol:

The rulebook explains that the position of infantry is not static. The footprint they take up is merely representative of their placement on the battle field, and within that blot of space, they are moving, finding cover, setting up weapons, dodging, etc. So one could assume that the rear line communicates with the infantry in front, and they move to the sides to provide a fire lane for the weapon. The fact that other squad can't blindly fire in the direction of the enemy (for fear of hitting their own guys), is why it covers a 5+ save to the enemy unit.

Keep in mind the rules for firing through your own unit don't apply to flamers. You can't cover a friendly model with a flamer template. (even in the same unit). A lot of people (including myself), played this wrong when using units like ork burna's, or flamers of tzeech.

See I'm confused on the blocking line of sight. I'm coming from bolt action and flames of war where you can't shoot through units and that makes sense to me. Even in real life your not going to shoot through a friendly unit to your front. So a infantry unit doesn't block line of sight? I understand a big vehicle that should be a given.

Kristoff is correct that all models can block LoS. It's just so nearly impossible for a infantry squad to actually block LoS and a pain in the ass to check everytime our local meta ignores infantry for Los purposes. I had forgotten that.

Archived