Chaplain fluff

The Milkman Of Baal

Hey guys, just as small question regarding fluff. I’ve recently asked my mates to build themselves using either one of my codices and one of them has opted for a I-Chaplin on a bike. I said I would write a little back story on each of them. So the question is can a battle brother join the raven wing then become selected for Chaplin duties or would it happen earlier in there service?

Cheers for your time guys much appreciated

I see it as recognition for the Chaplaincy can come at any time.

I'm certainly hoping that's the case anyway; I'm doing the exact same thing in my mate's Deathwatch campaign at the moment. My character has a background in the Ravenwing but, due to his nature, has actually been spotted as potentially being a candidate for the rank of Chaplain. It's how I plan on evolving my character into a Deathwatch Chaplain using the expanded rules.

In a chapter where every warrior is expected to be particularly zealous in the pursuit of their duties, I imagine that the criteria for elevation to Chaplain rank in the Dark Angels are even more strict than they may be in another chapter. Where another warrior might have his zeal and faith recognised early in his career, a Dark Angel may be seen, for the longest time, to be a particularly loyal brother until it becomes apparent that he is exceptional.

...Mine answered a want ad in the local paper.

"Looking for violent, angry people to take part in a scouring of the universe of aliens, heretics and traitors, killy weapons will be supplied, but you must bring your own lunch box. Mutants and midgets need not apply. Please contact the God-Emperor if interested"

Cheers for the info guys, one last thing though. From what I've read in the codex I assume that a Chaplin hasn't been inducted into the inner circle right? So when a Chaplin on a bike has an honour guard then black knights know about the fallen but the Chaplin doesn't?

Cheers for the info guys, one last thing though. From what I've read in the codex I assume that a Chaplin hasn't been inducted into the inner circle right? So when a Chaplin on a bike has an honour guard then black knights know about the fallen but the Chaplin doesn't?

A (standard) chaplain doesn't necessarily know about the Fallen, but that doesn't mean they absolutely won't.  Asmodai, for example, discovered the existence of the Fallen as a battle brother, got inducted as a chaplain, and still needed to wait some time before being made an interrogator-chaplain.

Archived