After Dark Vengeance, which -Wing ?

xedoc

I got the Dark Vengeance set, 1 squad of marines and 1 squad of devastators. I played a number of games at 800 points so I think I got the basics down.

Now I'm considering expanding my army to 1500 pts. Which -Wing should I go for? I'm playing mostly against Chaos, Tau and SW so would be nice to have an army that can go toe-to-toe with those guys

ravenwing is a solid choice all around. termies die kinda fast for the points you pay for them. greenwing isn't too bad either as well. Chaos your problems will be the helldrakes, other than that chaos isn't a bad match up. SW are like most any other marines out there, or chaos. Tau you wanna close with them fast and get them in hand to hand to stop them from shooting you to death.

First welcome...  (if it hasnt been done..)

The no-budget answer is of course "All of them"...  but that usually isnt practical.

Where to go next is a personal choice depending on what you want to do and your local metagame.

1. Which wing calls to you?

2. You told us what armies are on the other side of the table but you didnt let us know specifics...   Are they "In your face" (choppy) or "stand back and shoot" (shooty) lists?

3. Which way do you want to play?  Choppy, Shooty or a mix.  

All these lead into different answers.

The Global metagame is trending towards mobile firepower so a bike list fits that best but may not fit YOU best...

Not really sure which -Wing, I'm still at the stage where I'm still trying as many combinations as possible (budget wise). Although I do accept that going a particular -Wing would limit the choices I have. I'm not really particular with regards to fluff - I'd say all aspects of Dark Angels fluff are great!

I really dont know how to establish the meta in our gaming... but I would say "shooty". Most games I played was just move and shoot. The only close combat action we get is if my Deathwing deepstrikes close enough. But its basically a move-shoot-go.

I'm not really looking for a competitive list as of the moment, just want to get some direction to get my army some semblance of identity and cohesion.

Here are my thoughts so far from what I researched:

Deathwing

+ Superior Firepower (range and close combat)

+ Guaranteed Deepstrike on Turn 1 or 2

+ Fearless

- Low model count

One wrong move and that's it for the game

- Dies to Tau easily (well based on my experience. he uses early warning and plasmas)

Ravenwing

+ Very Fast (scout rule)

+ Twin-Linked bolters

+ Built-in (sort of) cover save (Darkshroud, turbo boost)

- Limited choices.

I feel including tacticals and vehicles would slow down the army or leave the tac squads behind.

- Not really good in close combat

I think putting a couple of Deathwings in the list could help with this issue

Greenwing - Dont really know much about this type. To me its like forcing DA to play like regular space marines.

If I want to mix it up, which is better, Ravenwing/Deathwing (for support) or Deathwing/Ravenwing

I wouldn't really say Deathwing has superior firepower, especially if you factor the Standard in with bikes or tacticals.  Their strength comes from their 2+/5++ and of course their close combat abilities.

I think the way the game seems to play out right now, a faster, mobile army with reasonable firepower can out position and pick apart are static army.  I'd go ravenwing, but like Dean said, go whichever wing calls to you. DW is a really cool wing to run narratively and I find painting terminators is usually a little more fun than painting bikes.

If I want to mix it up, which is better, Ravenwing/Deathwing (for support) or Deathwing/Ravenwing

And I call that the same army...  The symbiosis is scary sometimes  Bikes have the mobility and calling down a teleport  can bring a lot of close in fire support in the form of Deathwing.  

Now to clarify:

Deathwing

+ Superior Firepower (range and close combat)

+ Guaranteed Deepstrike on Turn 1 or 2

+ Fearless

HALF of your Deathwing in reserve (rounding up) guaranteed 1st or 2nd turn

Your Ravenwing gets 5+ cover if it just moved the turn it is geting shot at.  Plus turbo boost, Plus a darkshroud so potentially 3+

Ravenwing Black Knights are pretty good in close combat.  They are just about the same as Thunderwolf Cav with added twin linked plasma.

The list I want to try next has a Drop pod of company Veterans with combi meltas first turn to be followed by a DW squad homering on the pod's beacon for a 2nd turn DWA.  The rest of the list is LRCs and Deathwing.

hehehe well I do mean Deathwing. But its just based on the games I played. Superior Firepower to me is when I'm able to cut down squads. Although I've never played Ravenwing with the "dakka" banner (forgot the actual name)

I think I just focused too much on the terminators. my play is usually to deep strike close, then focus fire to reduce numbers (especially on tau). Then force them to kill the termies first, while I get to maneuver my tacticals

@Brother dean - well what I meant was heavy on Deathwing, then a couple of ravenwing bikes and vice versa something like that hehehe But I can see a list where majority is ravenwing, then deepstrike a couple of deathwing to serve as fire support (plasma cannons maybe)

@Brother dean - well what I meant was heavy on Deathwing, 

hehehe well I do mean Deathwing. 

Sounds like you might have decided....

The "Way of the Water Warrior" says that you should go where your enemy will not and strike from directions they have dismissed. (extremely paraphrased)  And since in your local there is little movement or hand to hand, I would say a very nice black and tan (Raven/Death in any ratio) list will do very well for you.  The problem is staying alive long enough and we have outlined a couple ways of doing that already in this thread.

I find the best wing is.... wait for it... mixed wing! Get a bike command squad, and some Black Knights. Add a Terminator Squad, either a 10 man or 2 x 5 man. Get a second Dev Squad and Whirlwind or 2. And speeders. No one likes speeders, but kited out right, they are very good units that will draw fire from the enemy. (2 speeders in a unit both with Assault cannons and a heavy bolter puts out a decent amount of firepower.)

Don't be fooled into the banner business. You'll be building a list suited to a banner, not to what you may really want. You'll need to get the HQ to unlock the command squad you want, then you need the models to go with that banner. So if you want to run a banner with bikes, you need a lot of bikes... etc

The most fun I have is actually playing with things no one on the internet likes. I played a game on Saturday where I fielded a Nephilim, 2 Speeders (kitted as described above) and a Land Speeder Vengeance. While I lost on the last turn, It was super fun to play. The Vengeance evaporated a squad of Grey Knight terminators, and the Nephilim won a duel with a Stormraven. The speeders almost wiped out a squad of PA Grey knights alone, before they were shot down.My 1 mistake was having only 2 Tactical Squads. Both ended up wiped out. I used 2 Dev Squads when only 1 was necessary. Again, It was a variety of models, and was fun.

TLDR; play what you find fun, and don't just do what everyone else wants you to do.

:)

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions. I've decided to go Ravenwing. Based on everyone's feedback and the things I got off from the net, looks like ravenwing provides a flexible and versatile core set of units. I really like to try out the teleport homers and deepstrike termies or drop pods.

Aynway, I can get 2 squads of Ravenwing bikers (thats the most my monthly hobby budget could get me). Wish me luck on the next games, I hope I start winning :)

Personally, I think the Level 2 Libby on a bike with a BK Command squad and Apothecary (maybe champ too) for 355 is an exceptional, exceptional unit. 

I think BKs are probably the best unit in the codex. 

Id strongly suggest going with that.  

Archived