equipping a command squad?

nightwing1511

Buy upgrading a veteren, to an apothecary, do I reliquish the ability to gove him dofferent war gear?

I gather the companu champion is limited to the relic blade and combat shield, but im not sure about the rest of the squad.

For example, can I give him his narthecium and a storm shield?

Same for the standard bearer? I basicall want as many storm shields as I can manage.

Company champion does not get a relic blade, they only have a power sword. Also yes, by taking an apothecary you forfeit all further wargear upgrades on him as he is no longer a Veteran. I believe the banner is simply given to a veteran so it doesn't change their name, but I might be remembering wrong.

Also this question has been asked a lot, a search probably could have turned up your answer.

If you want the best mix of durability with storm shields you should probably take four on veterans and make one an apothecary. Having that second save for things like plasma and power weapons can make those invulns last a lot longer.

The way it reads for the Standard is that it is just given to a Veteran. So he maintains his Vet status in regards to the "Any Veteran may..." sections and I don't see anywhere it saying the Standard replaces an existing weapon, so he still starts with both a Bolt Pistol and Chainsword (though swapping for a Boltgun is free, except for the Apothecary, he can't even do that)

Relic Blades are limited to only the Honor Guard and the Vanguard Vet Sergeant.

Storm shields I believe are just purchasable things you can take them (for the cost of course).

As for maintaining vet status, there was similar wording in the Ork codex I believe, basically the "order" you purchased your wargear allowed you to maintain previous state.  Don't quote me on that but it might jog someone's memory who has heard about that before.

I just noticed that in the Dark Angels codex, the veteran receiving apoth upgrade MUST replace his bolt pistol (thanks for the consistency GW), however in C:SM it just says you get the Narth, but like other said, he's still a vet.

Storm shields I believe are just purchasable things you can take them (for the cost of course).

As for maintaining vet status, there was similar wording in the Ork codex I believe, basically the "order" you purchased your wargear allowed you to maintain previous state.  Don't quote me on that but it might jog someone's memory who has heard about that before.

I just noticed that in the Dark Angels codex, the veteran receiving apoth upgrade MUST replace his bolt pistol (thanks for the consistency GW), however in C:SM it just says you get the Narth, but like other said, he's still a vet.

If I remember right the agreement came down to you need to take character upgrades first. Which order you upgrade wargear on the models doesn't matter, but if your upgrading a model to a different character or statline it must be done first.

The other thing to remember is the rule is that "veterans" may take the storm shield. If you upgrade someone to an apothecary he is no longer a veteran. If you claim to take the storm shield first, then upgrade to an apothecary, you now have an illegal unit since the apothecary doesn't have that choice.

This has been an ongoing debate for years.

Both sides have valid points, and I personally find the Ork FAQ quite telling... but, I wouldnt call it definitive. Better safe than sorry.

As always, talking to your local playgroup is the best option for a grey are like this.

If I remember right the agreement came down to you need to take character upgrades first. Which order you upgrade wargear on the models doesn't matter, but if your upgrading a model to a different character or statline it must be done first.

The other thing to remember is the rule is that "veterans" may take the storm shield. If you upgrade someone to an apothecary he is no longer a veteran. If you claim to take the storm shield first, then upgrade to an apothecary, you now have an illegal unit since the apothecary doesn't have that choice.

Another point that may help resolve it is how it is listed. There are three stat lines, Veteran, Company Champion, and Apothecary, On the expanded/fluff entry, they have each of the three specifically listed as what wargear they have. The wording has it to where only the Veteran may take those upgrades, and an Upgrade to Company Champion or Apothecary "after" you replace a weapon is reversed, as they have a specific set of wargear that replaces the Veteran's. Other FAQ's have addressed similar issues, but presently the current FAQ does not change the wording to read as "Any Model" or an errata stating a Champion or Apothecary still counts as a Vet.

I hope they do, because I too was wanting a Command Squad with Storm Shields.

Personally for command squad I prefer to keep it simple.

Just 5 veterans with whatever kit you wish.

I know the advantage of having feel no pain, but I feel on 5 guys is just not worth the cost... Unlike the honour guard who can upgrade to 10 models.

You have so many options on the unit, close ranged fire support, close combat, or even a mix of the two.

5 veterans each with a melta in a pod is great for first blood anti-tank.

5 veterans each with a plasma gun in a pod is great for anti-MCs/heavy infantry and or light tanks

5 veterans each with flamer in pod is great anti-infantry.

5 veterans each with grav gun on bikes is great for anti-MC/heavy infantry and silly big things.

since it costs the same for bikes as for drop pod is a matter of preferred style of deployment.

You could get crazy and give each guy two weapons... but on such a small prob will not get cost back.

Seems an I version, doesn't it. Ive found the feel no pain to be valuable in the past. I wish I could take more apothecaries, allover the joint. Ideally I'd have one following each hq choice, and if I could squeeze one into my vanguard, that'd be sweet too. But alas, it seems following my lowly Castellan, making sure he stays alive is all I can do.

Archived