Minx Studio - Carcharadon/Deathwatch Chapter Master

Minx

Carcharadons sharky chapter for a deathwatch army.

Starting with the head...

1530336_397169123752700_817482249_n.jpg

Now onto the body! We started with epoxy body and feet on a wire frame, then we are building the rest up with sculpey before doing more detail work in epoxies and so on!

Hes gonna be sharkified pretty nicely!!!!

1798818_411729998963279_1854288340_n.jpg

1623546_411730022296610_1437971667_n.jpg

Oh, I love me some shark!

1. I really like the face and I think I detect some "triangular" shaped dental work in there.

2. Not so crazy about the hair. If it had been me, I would have given him a bald head because that would be a great area for some Maori type tatoos.

3. So when you say "sculpey" are you using an air dry version or do you still have to bake it? If baking, does that affect the epoxy part at all? What little sculpting (and it wasn't this good) I have done in the past was with the baked sculpey as the base, then additional detail added with other putties on top.

So, just curious about your methodology.

Anyway, really looking forward to this developing.

Cheers,

1. I really like the face and I think I detect some "triangular" shaped dental work in there.

-Yup, there is! :)

2. Not so crazy about the hair. If it had been me, I would have given him a bald head because that would be a great area for some Maori type tatoos.

-That would be a cool idea, however we are working from some concept art. perhaps we can shave part of the head and work that in though, I like it~!

3. So when you say "sculpey" are you using an air dry version or do you still have to bake it? If baking, does that affect the epoxy part at all? What little sculpting (and it wasn't this good) I have done in the past was with the baked sculpey as the base, then additional detail added with other putties on top.

-Sculpey firm+fimo classic, polymer clay, so it requires baking. Epoxy has high heat resistance, although it will brown or darken if too close to heat source, or too high a temperature but that doesnt usually affect its state of affairs.

not a fan of the shark head thing going on there. I like the chest, and the pose.  Just the shark head thing looks cheesy. =/

http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/Cat-gets-eaten-for-shark-week.gif

If your going for the old school space sharks then I get the sharks head and teeth. But it doesn't tie in with the FW revamp fluff smile.png either way great sculpting

This. With the update to the Charcharodon Astra being as grimdark as it gets (which I love), the shark head makes it less menacing. By their new fluff, they aren't prone to a lot of excess or ornamentation other than totemic markings, so the shark head just seems a bit out of character is all. It looks cool in it's own way, but it kind of reminds me of Jabber Jaw.

The sculpting is top notch, I'll admit. I wish I had that level of control to make my work that detailed. But, as others have mentioned, the shark head itself looks a touch out of place.

But hey, your piece, man. Rock that shark hat.

Gotta say I'm not huge on the shark head, teeth works fine, but the actual head makes him seem like the chapter mascot instead of the chapter master.

Eat face, eat face, ra ra ra.

Totally understand the views on the shark head, paint can do a lot, but we will gauge it after the rest of the detailing and stuff is done to see how it fits.

We may be able to adapt or adjust some design aspects a bit once we get a better sense of the bigger picture with more work done :)

@deathspectersgt, its not the first time Kage has come in with attitude to one of my posts :P

That being said we are doing a fin on the armour, and we will have a sharkskin tattered cape of sorts

We are also redoing the gills on the armour to be vents rather than raised shapes

I like thematic armies so Im actually going to disagree with the rest and say I like the shark head.

I realize that it doesn't align with the latest fluff and isn't grimdark but if painted well and I saw a whole army like that I'd be like "Whoa!"

I like the shark head as well. Is it canon? Probably not. Is it cool? Definitely!

And let's be honest with ourselves, if this guy was running at you with a chainsword at high speed, is your first thought going to be "Oh look, San Jose Sharks mascot" or are you going to have to change your pants, assuming you survive.

I think the latter.

So, I say run with it. I'm assuming your painting skills are equal to the task and that it will come out awesome.

Oh, and I'm totally stealing this idea, even if I wouldn't be able to execute it as well. ;)

Can I toss out an alternative way of looking at this shark head guys?

The way that minx and his studio have sculpted it is in a very organic manner- and attempted to integrate it into the very inorganic armor.

What if, and this is just an idea, you reculpted the shark and made it look more inorganic? For example, the eagle on the new Aquila strongpoint.  Clearly they used a bird as a real reference, but transformed it into something sharper and more angular.   I feel like you could do the same for the shark. 

@The_Chaplain, ya we are actually doing that now :) The main thing with sculpting is getting the concept on form, then you work it and play with it to get it right.

We did the same with the eagles on this sculpt:

1468742_364374300365516_1536152879_n.jpg

@Honda, As for painting... we should be able to manage to do a good job, we will be taking a different approach than this guy below as it was done in the same style we did the whole army at the time, but it will be high quality :P

1450235_358293994306880_235598116_n.jpg

Can I toss out an alternative way of looking at this shark head guys?

The way that minx and his studio have sculpted it is in a very organic manner- and attempted to integrate it into the very inorganic armor.

What if, and this is just an idea, you reculpted the shark and made it look more inorganic? For example, the eagle on the new Aquila strongpoint. Clearly they used a bird as a real reference, but transformed it into something sharper and more angular. I feel like you could do the same for the shark.

That's not at all a bad idea, its not carcharodon in my eyes but it be cool it if was more part of the armour than a trophy as shark "pelts" look pretty nasty, once there tanned lol

If you're gonna go with the shark head, go all in, man. Put a fin on the top of the terminator armor and a tail sticking off of his armored butt plate.

I think that sort of crap is uncalled for.

I think that sort of crap is uncalled for, and I was being serious. And guess what?

...we are doing a fin on the armour...

Hmmmmmmm.

http://i.imgur.com/DfrL6.gif

@deathspectersgt, its not the first time Kage has come in with attitude to one of my posts tongue.png

That was attitude in response to attitude, and with the exception of that one comment, all of my responses to any of your posts have been to praise your work.

Archived