Minx Studio - Carcharadon/Deathwatch Chapter Master

Minx

It fits nicely with the dorsal fin as well, flows nicely together.

We are almost finished the dude.. we do need to build him a base still, but that will come a bit later. Im painting him up for a competition in April so it will be a little break from him once the sculpting is done.

We have a few other things to do up then back to paint this guy! :)

Carcharodon Deathwatch Chapter Master

Made with: Magic Sculpt(white stuff) Super Sculpey Firm+Fimo Classic (Grey stuff), Millupt +Green Stuff (Greenish stuff) and Games Workshop shoulder pads and arms/weapons

For more photos and angles check the facebook gallery :)

1970639_415043021965310_572251392_n.jpg

holy hell, that is one awesome marine... i initially had my doubts when you first mentioned a "fin" (unlike most, i liked the shark head), but you managed to make that my favorite part of the model, it just looks so "right" in terms of the silhuette, mad props sir...

i would love to have your skills at ornate tribal-styled details for myself for making my exodites :P

Ya I really think the fin contributes greatly to it and makes sense in the big picture. I like the way this guy turned out. Painting is going to be a challenge and Im not sure what Im going to do exactly as of yet!!

• 2 months later...

You can see the final photos(which are not as good or accurate) Here along with other entries for Reapercon. This piece took Gold in Open(build/paint)

It was a tricky project to paint since everything is black! so I had to get a little creative with the colours. 

You can see other wip progress photos of the paint here

Also, Id like to announce that we have finally launched a website for everything we do, its not so much a gallery, however one will be added later, it is meant to keep you connected and up to date with a variety of the things we do... please feel free to check us out at FantasyRPGminiatures.com it will have links to our facebook, pinterest, instagram and youtube, where we hope to do free video tutorial series and video updates and other such goodness regularly.

Lots of fun stuff is coming up and we will be busy with non PA projects so I just wanted to give everyone a heads up:)

10304700_444901145646164_883109347357750

10300985_444900932312852_212104793997200

10325353_444900785646200_165761463921006

I think he worked out smile.png

What do you like, dislike?

Me personally? I think the mount point for the shark fin on the back of the armor looks like a tyranid head silhouette; and I think it was kinda unnecessary.

That said, it is a pretty fantastic model overall.

Incredible conversion and painting! The purple on the torso is a fantastic touch.

My only criticism is the shark motif on the sword, specifically the way the dorsal fin juts out. I find it's rather blunt compared to the elegant and sleek shark motifs elsewhere on the model. Minor criticism though because everything else is beautiful.

@The_Chaplain, I agree, i would of preferred a smoother transition into the torso!

@Chaplainmikey, Glad you like the glow! I felt it necessary to get some colours on him otherwise the black would be boring. Black armour only looks good when high gloss/reflective and I didnt want a high gloss armour, was tricky at first to paint him!

Also, I agree, but I think its more so due to the design and blockiness of the SM weapons, we would of probably had to slim it down or redo the entire top edge to get that smoother feel to it, which may not of been a bad idea!

@OTHERS, thanks! glad you enjoyed this project, it was fun, our client may have another crazy fun one in the works!! 

Very impressive and the purple surprised me. Not in a bad way, just that it isn't something that I'd associate with the sharks, though now that I say that, Squeaky put some very muted purple on his and it worked out fine.

I think you executed everything very well. If I was going to niggle on something it would be the head. I still think that he would have looked more "shark" with a bald head and some Maori tats flowing over one eye. It would also have been a nice way to detail the head/face which can be important because that is what people's eyes focus on.

Still, that's just a minor point on a wonderful piece.

Well done!

Archived