Minx Studio - Carcharadon/Deathwatch Chapter Master

Minx

You can see the final photos(which are not as good or accurate) Here along with other entries for Reapercon. This piece took Gold in Open(build/paint)

It was a tricky project to paint since everything is black! so I had to get a little creative with the colours. 

You can see other wip progress photos of the paint here

Also, Id like to announce that we have finally launched a website for everything we do, its not so much a gallery, however one will be added later, it is meant to keep you connected and up to date with a variety of the things we do... please feel free to check us out at FantasyRPGminiatures.com it will have links to our facebook, pinterest, instagram and youtube, where we hope to do free video tutorial series and video updates and other such goodness regularly.

Lots of fun stuff is coming up and we will be busy with non PA projects so I just wanted to give everyone a heads up:)

10304700_444901145646164_883109347357750

10300985_444900932312852_212104793997200

10325353_444900785646200_165761463921006

"[And] Umaril was laid low, the angel face of his helm dented into an ugliness which made Pelinal laugh, [and his] unfeathered wings broken

off with sword strokes delivered while Pelinal stood [frothing]... above him insulting his ancestry and anyone else that took ship from Old Elnhofey".

@Honda, I agree, unfortunately Arnold didnt want to fix the head at that point. I wasnt able to squeeze any tats on reasonably, I was debating on putting some on the armour faintly, instead of the magenta lighting, but I chose to go with the lighting instead to bring out the more brutality and blood lusting features. After you said the bald maori head, I totally got the vision and wished we did that... maybe a future piece ;)

@Others, thanks! Let me know what you like and dislike most, if anything! Love hearing the feedback, and dont worry, you cant offend us ;)

Great work on the painting with the ouroboros shark and all the subtle lighting, though still not a fan of the actual sharks head and fin it's growing on me now there's paint.

The one detail I do love is the nod to tyberos with the same sihilouette as his lighting claws on your guys chainsword, I also agree with Honda though with your skill that would have looked awesome!

@Squeaky, I think you are crayz, that dorsal fin looks sick especially now! The sharks head I can understand though :P

I will admit its hard for it to fully feel natural in the photos, but its such a great compositional element in person when you are holding it, it makes the whole model really flow nicely. The sharks head grew on me, It was awkward when I first started painting it, but I feel its enough of a background element that it doesnt make him feel like a shark man, rather a decorate warrior.

My least favourite part is actually the stock inquisitor deathwatch shoulder pad, I hate it, its not crisp, its rounded edges and it wasnt nice to paint. It looks ok, but not as nice as It could if it matched style more

Actually yes, I bet it is something that looks alot better in person and really? Uh that's one thing that I didn't really look into in any great detail. I think it looks fine, but what else would you have done or do differently then?

Personally I would have ditched the shark's head and just had teeth around the head. I think the fin (which sounded like a totally naff idea) is brilliant and one of my favourite parts of the model. I also agree with the idea of a bald head and tats as opposed to cissy hair. Still doesn't alter the fact that it is an amazing piece, look forward to seeing more.

This is the brilliance of the B+C, I would never have dreamed of putting a fin on a carcharadon marine but now I have seen how it could be done I will definitely give it a go myself in the future.

@Forte, blame it on the wiki! we didnt look at the SM example just the direction the symbol was facing on the other examples! DAMN! 

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Carcharodons

@helterskelter, Pretty sure the skin tone is a light tone mixed with white and a touch of blue very very small amount. then the rest is done adding magenta to the skintone mix to give the sense of life(redness) to cheeks, nose area, maybe softened amounts on parts of the forward and so on.

@Ratboy, we may have to do a round two with some different things, including the bald head and adjusted head area. I would like to try a different approach as well. But wont be for awhile!

@Squeaky, the shoulder pad would have the sleakness of the other side, but not blade trim, the icon would be crisper and better defined, not as boxxy.

@reckoning, everyone seems to love that chainsword hahaha thats good to know :P

Archived