Design Challenge: Dark Angels Combat Patrols

xnickbaranx

Every year I go to Adepticon and play in their yearly Combat Patrol Tournament. Its always good fun and occasionally I win "a game". But with Tervigons and the like running around spitting out additional scoring units and the like, I ultimately die brutally at the hands of my opponents.

So out of curiousity, I was wondering what you all think would make the most points efficient lists for our beloved DA's in Combat Patrol.

http://www.adepticon.org/14rules/2014cp.pdf

What do you all think? Take a look and report back.

-Nick

I think that the best unit to bring for combat patrol would be a RW attack squadron, complete with speeder.

First off it fits point wise and second (BTW more importantly) it fits fluff wise.

However I have yet to convince anyone to allow me to bring that to a Combat Patrol turney.

For whatever reason even though they seemed to have gotten past the fact that we are playing 40k without 1HQ and 2 Troops, they couldn't get past that only Sammie could possibly be able to go on a recon mission... except he can't because he has to many wounds or to much armor.

Why wouldn't he send any of his highly trained troops that hunt the fallen for him on patrol?

So if you can't bring that then the next thing to bring is a NEPHILM!

Keep your troop choice hidden and let the fact that you opponent can't deal with a flyer be their undoing.

You may have to deal with other flyers, but none of the scary ones. (Dragon, Raven, or Vendetta)

Once you get the 3 big bad flyers out of the equation, you start to see that the NJF really does live up to its name as an anti-air fighter.

If you are facing only 1 flyer then your better armor and higher rate of fire will carry the day.

If they bring 2 flyers, then you will have to play smarter, you can't be stupid or they will beat you with dumb luck.

And speaking from experience I played a modified combat patrol mission where both sides had 2 Valkyries and 2 squads, and ended up tabling my opponent without losing a unit.

I sacrificed a shooting phase to put him in a bad position.

The best choice he had was to fall back.... he didn't and it cost him.

how about two units of two typhoons and a six man tactical squad with a flamer and a combi flamer. Eight missiles is beastly in 400 points, and the flamers are because horde-capable armies will try to swamp you with numbers.

Guard can send in Chenkov with two line squads with autocannons plus the WoN blob of 50 conscripts. That's 75 guardsmen, and 50 of them respawn!

Not how I would do guard, though. I would do a platoon command squad with autocannon, two grenade launchers, and a chimera, two line squads with autocannons and chimeras, and sly marbo. Three autocannons, three heavy bolters, three mulitlasers, and a pair of GL, all behind AV12, and a suicide bomber!

how about two units of two typhoons and a six man tactical squad with a flamer and a combi flamer. Eight missiles is beastly in 400 points, and the flamers are because horde-capable armies will try to swamp you with numbers.

Oooh, I like this. It feels very mean and very efficient.

Archived