Sons of Horus

Bruegel

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o530/lindemann66/Dreadnought2.jpg

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o530/lindemann66/IMG_2941_sm.jpg

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o530/lindemann66/IMG_2940_sm.jpg

I'm now starting a Night Lords army but here are a few pics of my Sons of Horus army - 17th Company, hence the XVII designation on their shoulder pads and on the vehicles.

To jeremy1391 - thanks and no worries about the "nit-picking" - I'm not too worried about historical accuracy here so the Razorbacks stay in. I enjoy playing 40K but building and painting is my thing and as this was my first 40K army (after 10+ years of only playing WHFB) I felt like adding in a few tanks. Strictly speaking the Dreadnought should be a Contemptor but I prefer the look of the old-school version.

To Captain Semper - thank you sir.

These look great would like to see you do at least acouple more Squads of them.

I do have plenty more, - just haven't photographed them all yet. So far, the army consists of:

Captain in terminator armor and twin lightening claws,

5 x Terminator Assault 

3 x 10 man tactical squads 

1 x 5 man assault squad

1 x 6 man Sniper Squad

1 x Dreadnought

2 x Razorbacks

1 x Rhino

Captain on bike

5 x Sm's on bikes

And as you can see from the photos, I have also modeled a Word Bearers Chaplain - but I haven't used him yet.

@ recon0321 - sorry, the pics aren't too good. Here's how I paint them - and I'm using the old paint titles as I can't seem to remember what they're called these days:

1. black primer

2. airbrush Vallejo WWII German Uniform

3. wash with Nuln Oil

4. clean up over some of the areas of wash w/ Vallejo WWII German Uniform - tidy things up a little.

5. Bolters are GW Chainmail + 3-4 black and brown GW washes

6. Left shoulder pad is GW Denab Stone - the Eye of Horus symbol is hand painted as is the XVII company symbol on the right shoulder pad. The trim on these is then painted with Vallejo Bronze then washed with GW Sepia.

7. Chipping - I use a small piece of foam and dip that into a fairly watery mix of GW Black and GW Scorched Brown. I then randomly dab the foam all over the model to get that battle-damage look. I will also use the same paint mix to paint on chipped areas.

8. In selected areas I'll take GW Chainmail and paint inside the black/brown chipped area.

9. On the right shoulder pad I'll use the Vallejo WWII German Uniform paint to erase some of the XVII writing, it adds to the chipped/weathered look. I'll do the same on the left shoulder pad with GW Denab Stone erasing parts of the Eye of Horus symbol.

10. Helmet eyes get painted red, then highlighted etc.

11. Once the base is done, I spray the whole lot a good helping of Matt varnish, and when that's dry I then add weathering powders around the bases and feet.

Archived