Imperial Knights and us

Larhendiel

Thanks JJ.

As for colour schemes - I think next weeks' WD will have more liveries in it.

I'm thinking that as the model is so big a halved or quartered scheme might look quite good. Might look at WH Fantasy Empire might have some good schemes for inspiration.

Cheers

I

I'd also suggest looking at the Bretonnians, since they're mostly knights with a few levees.

Yes, there is an article 'Houses and Heraldry' which mentions the importance of heraldry and its significance to the Houses. Also they discuss making your own freeblade and the studio team made their own, a few different pics are shown. They all look good!

There is a painting article on how to paint Gerantius the forgotten knight (green knight).

Also how to apply tranfers correctly.

There are a few smallish pics from the codex, you can make out different colour schemes. I got the digital version so the pics are small to me!

Also of note, the battle report between DA's allied with 5 knights vs Chaos with 2 khorne lord of skulls. The good guys won!

Interestingly, the 5 knights were made up of 2 x House Raven (mechanicum aligned), 2 x House Terryn (imperium aligned) and 1 Freeblade.

If you are interested in the knights, it would be handy getting this issue too, but like myself you will probably want/need the codex as well now.

There is a thread on the B&C which has more of a detailed breakdown of the WD's:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/286972-white-dwarf-weekly-index/

I would probably do one or more in support of an imp fists list, they don't feel "right" to me any other way, even with guard or other marines.  They certainly fit with APOC, but not having a ranged D weapon, they'd be about as survivable as a shadowsword, only far less threatening.  Nice to look at, but I'll pass.  I have more important fringe stuff to get, like thunderbolts for my guard and steagles for my unforgiven.

Interestingly the video GW used to show off the new Knights shows a Mechanicus Knight helping the DA in the Dark Vengeance scenario. http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=13400048-gws

I guess that means we at least have enough of a link to Mechanicus Knights to ally with them. As for Imperial Houses I have no idea, I would want a Mechanicus one anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was given one of these as a gift.  I am trying to figure out a way to use it and the best I can think of is in a ravenwing list or something fast.  Now my problem is should I pick a standard house or make it a freeblade?  In making it a freeblade do think it would be too crazy or against fluff if I named it some cool Dark Angel name and put DA icons and colors with it?  I don't ever see me owning 6 of these things but at most I may get a second one so it will always just be a detachment for my Dark Angels.

thoughts?  I have briefly skimmed thru the Imperial Knights codex, and I'm just wondering if maybe the Dark Angels have some hidden :) since we are so secretive.

This critter showed up on FB... it is not mine... And the fluff nazi in me wants to burn it, but yeah, you could do something like that.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/1619384_10202968489631796_1243829941_n.jpg

My buddy is making a Freeblade, piloted by "Jon" with the iconography of a black crow..... tongue.png I think that would probibly fit better than a direct relationship to the Legion...

yeah I don't think deathwing colors would work... but black or dark green should be ok with a few icons. Maybe not down right saying dark angels but just using some of the angels and stuff on it with a similar color scheme. I still have not thought of a name for him yet... but my wife would love it if I named him Jon and did what you were saying lol. That gives me an Idea tho... Ned and a wolf theme could be killer smile.png

To be fair...  My buddy igknot is a fan and a Wolfbrother...  I think he is planning "Jon" as a freeblade and the other 5 as a House....   We have discussed scratching some Wolf heads for the Knights but I am not sure what he is planning.   

yeah this will take some thought.. Ill have to search my bits and come up with something like my sammael model.  Its a nice model so I want to make sure its right.  Maybe even call him "The Lion" or "The Forgotten Angel"  

Looking thru the codex tho house griffith is basically deathwing colors.  So there is always that to fall back on if my creativity fails me.

I would agree with that sentiment - but each to their own.

Perhaps we can invent our own aligned house and all paint our Knights the same colours :p.

That aside, what we need maybe is a Bolter & Chainsword 'Knight Painter' given the difficulty in visualising what can be quite complex colour schemes for these models.

Cheers

I

I have been thinking about how a Knight would fit into my force whilst retaining its independence and I have been developing a little bit of background before I buy one, as well as thinking about iconography and colour schemes.

In the late medieval period, knightly families might be part of a noble 'affinity'. Being part of the affinity meant you wore your lord's badge. It didn't necessarily become part of your heraldry, but you would wear the badge separately as a visual sign to show your allegiance. On that basis my thinking is going along the following lines:

During the heresy one of the Knightly houses was hard-pressed against traitor forces, noble knight after noble knight was brought low by traitor titans and heavy tanks. At the eleventh hour the heavens opened and drop pods rained down upon the tortured ground. Black armoured marines from the First Legion poured forth, backed up by air power. This stabilised the front and, once Astartes heavy armour was deployed, the tide turned.

In remembrance of this great battle, the Knightly House will send some of its great machines to fight alongside the Dark Angels when called for. These machines incorporate a sword in chains across their traditional heraldry to denote the fact that they are paying off a blood debt to the Chapter and its successors.

Something along those lines anyway.

So I was wondering, which weapon option would be the "best" one?

I will be using the melta one for mine. I'm not sure what the "best" would be.

Maybe I used poor phrasing. (Probably.)

So I suppose the matter would be, which would compliment our codex more.

I suppose it could be divvied up into the three wings at it.

DW: Thermal Cannon perhaps? Since they don't have many option to deal with tanks/super-heavies.

RW: Battle Cannon for range?

It's a nice job, but I prefer not to"corrupt" fluff by having a DA knight. Plus for those that have many armies it's stillbetter to not compromise and have a colours scheme that can fit all...

Indeed.

Although it'll be quite hard to figure out a good reason to have one walk along with my tyranids... tongue.png

Good thing my other planned armies are SoB and DKoK (mostly waiting for good model alternatives).

That aside, what we need maybe is a Bolter & Chainsword 'Knight Painter' given the difficulty in visualising what can be quite complex colour schemes for these models.

Nice idea, but it'll probably be a while before we'll have anything workable.

Until then, I'd strongly suggest looking at Camospecs for inspiration (a few virtual tonnes of painted 'Mech miniatures). There's bound to be one that pleases. Or at least helps visualise things.

Some interesting paint jobs but I still don't want one ;)

Just a thought - how does the battle cannon get reloaded whistlingW.gif

On one side I can understand why you guys have problems fielding one in your unforgiven armies but... what if that isn't an Imperial knight but an ancient siege breaker type dreadnought (hello mr count as)... that is piloted by a senex like the dreads. Yes fluffwise thats not mentioned yet, but hey we got base that the size of a moon or the Deathstar with many secret things stored in its vaults. Even if you don't want to go the dreadnought route a marine might be able to intereface with one - as he is already used to transfer muscle signals to his armor. Just remember 10000 years are a long time to collect things and store it msn-wink.gif

If you adopt a knight with a greenwing i would either go green too but keep it very dark. I bet that looks very menacing. With a DW force I would go so far to paint it in DW bone white. Having it striding next to the landraiders will look stunning.

I really don't see any problem having a knight in my force there could be lots of reasons. After all we often fight alongside other forces of the imperium, local PDF, IG regiments, legio titanicus maniple, other chapters, GK...

To me it's a perfect reason to paint a model NOT in the DA color.

However we can also easily imagine DA creating an order-like knight house on a recruitment world and knights protecting this world as guardians. This order could perfectly be the recruitment houses on the planet and its members making a traditional fight selection when the DA are here : the best being taken for the scout company, then other remaining as guardians and knights pilots...

Then it could be normal to see the knights with DA heraldry...

I really don't see where there can be any fluff problem...

... except that Knights are already in existance and already aligned with something or someone - if only themselves as freeblades.

They are probably not going to renounce their very ancient Houses - even Freeblades - and leap into a new one created by a relatively new upstart Astartes Chapter.

Although a nice idea, I see an Unforgiven created House a little unlikely. But that's just me.

I perfectly imagine a non aligned for odd reasons (because he witnessed some unholy alliance or because he is a member of an order that turned to chaos *remember me something but what?*) deciding to put his honour at serving the first.

We can even imagine that there WAS knights on Calibans and that they fought against Luther...

Who knows?

It leaves a great room for fantastic fluff...

Archived