Vanguard bomb squad

Niklaslinden

Hey,

So me playing jumplists often means trouble in dealing with tanks. On turn one and turn two I will usually be out of range with my meltaguns and deepstriking my assualtsquads to get meltashots in is often a suicide mission with only the reward of maybe taking a tank out.

To the topic then. I have only tried it once and while it is quite an expensive tactic and also not guaranteed to even do anything. So you take 5 vanguard veterans and take 5 meltabombs. You then deepstrike them and use heroic intervention to charge a tank or if your lucky, multicharge more tanks (there is no downside in multicharging with meltabombs since you don't get the bonus dice for charging anyway). If they get the charge they will even have a good chance at exploding a land raider in one attempt. And other vehicles will be hit in the rear. 

I used my vets with meltabombs on two Leman Russes and exploded them in a multicharge. Do blood angel players even use this tactics? Or is it too high risk for too high point cost?

MM attack bikes have low volume of fire and short range for that double die.

Vanguard vets can work, striking tanks in CC is a huge benefit as we get guaranteed melta dice and ignore cover. The downside is that it's pretty much an expensive suicide unit that will arrive turn 2 at the earliest, makes me weary of taking more than one such unit. Better used as a compliment when you are lacking long ranged (>24" ) fire power in your list.

Maybe pay for the powerfist on the sergeant in that case. Since your paying for the power weapon already it's just 5 points more than taking a meltabomb. In that case it would come at a pricetag of 195 for a suicidy unit. So not worth taking more than one of them :P maybe an assaultsquad is better really, but not as fun!

How would you make a squad like this work purely tacically? Maybe send down another distraction turn one in a drop pod?

Paying the extra pts for a powerfist isn't a terrible idea, but if you want to kill exposed infantry squads I prefer a power weapon since such a small unit can really use every single attack. 

I would mostly use it to either take down a priority target that I'd have trouble shooting, or concentrate on one flank with the majority of my force and send only the VVs to catch a transport trying to move away to score an objective. 

They are also very nice for buildings if you see those a lot in your meta, although frag dreads work even better. 

How would you make a squad like this work purely tacically? Maybe send down another distraction turn one in a drop pod?

I believe the idea is to utilize the Heroic Intervention rule on BA VV before it gets nerfed, so the unit assaults in the turn it arrives, no distraction necessary as the BA like to see the whites in their eyes before swinging.

I like using them. biggrin.png

They are really efficient against tanks but opponents can easily protect them by making bubblewraps. If they do that You'll just have to attack shooty infantry unit instead.

And for power fist- it costs the same points as meltabombs for whole unit and power fist gets less attacks... msn-wink.gif

No, the sergeant already comes with a free PW. Giving him a powerfist is only 5 pts more than buying him a meltabomb. 

I haven't done the math on it but I'm sure that those 3 S8 attacks will perform better in some situations even without the AP1 and extra D6.

Vanguard are great. Not only for vehicles but for entrenched heavies too. 

Id consider a full squad of 10 if you can find the points.  One can be your tank hunter squad, other can be your heavy interceptors.

So with meltabombs that would be 340 pts of vanguard. Do they usually make up all their points when you use them? I know it's worth quite alot to disable dangerous shooting so you can get more survivors across the board.

Archived