MK1 Baal Predator

Memento Of Prospero

Evening brothers!

After a fruitful weekend of debauchery and excessive trading, I came back home with several vintage models, including a NIB, still shrink wrapped MK1 Baal Predator.

I had an argument with a friend as to the value of such an item, and am looking for thoughts on this.

How would you rate the value of such an item?

I'd put it about the same price as a current Baal Predator, all sealed. At equal price, I'd rather have the newer model.

Both opened and on ebay, I'd pay more for the new one. The actual model isn't as nice as the conversion in the 3rd ed codex, and doesn't come with heavy bolter sponsons, IIRC. You do get a sweet MkI BA icon front plate, though.

With that in mind, I wouldn't put it up for sale (auction) unless you get a very convincing offer.

Didn't think they would be that special ?

I have one made up and would have really liked rid of it.  With the new one out and best fielded in multiples, it's not very visually aesthetic to mix them as a personal opinion.

However, having said that, if you already own the older type and in need of another, and want it unmade, then it becomes a very different story.  It is always about the interest of the buyer, and if you are lucky to get two that are interested in it - then let them have at it!

Either way, it theoretically should be worth at least the value of an existing rhino up to and including the value of the existing (new) Baal, and more or less value depending on the buyers at the time of selling.

It would probably look badass if you swapped the top plates around so the turret is more rear-mounted, like the current baal.

I've got one built and the way the plates work, this isn't really possible. The top plate comes in two pieces, one that fits over the open back hatch and one that adds the turret to the front. You'd have to do a lot of work to get the two pieces to reverse on you.

Also the main body comes in two identical pieces that go together albeit not in a seamless manner. The old kits were kind of difficult to work with really and required a bit of glue to get them together. Woe betide anyone who didn't have the damn thing straight when the glue set.

It would probably look badass if you swapped the top plates around so the turret is more rear-mounted, like the current baal.

I've got one built and the way the plates work, this isn't really possible. The top plate comes in two pieces, one that fits over the open back hatch and one that adds the turret to the front. You'd have to do a lot of work to get the two pieces to reverse on you.

Also the main body comes in two identical pieces that go together albeit not in a seamless manner. The old kits were kind of difficult to work with really and required a bit of glue to get them together. Woe betide anyone who didn't have the damn thing straight when the glue set.

You can put the turret ring plate at the back over the square door hatches and then use the normal rhino circular hatches on the circular holes.

I never had any problems with my MkI rhino and pred, the two L-shaped hull pieces went together fine!

You can put the turret ring plate at the back over the square door hatches and then use the normal rhino circular hatches on the circular holes.

I never had any problems with my MkI rhino and pred, the two L-shaped hull pieces went together fine!

The hull plates were terrible when I built it. But then that was a long time ago.

It's been awhile since I even put one together but I thought the metal "rear" plate had little nubbies that fit inside the rear hatch opening on the old kit? Will have to find some pictures of what the hull pieces looked like. Got its been 15 years for me since I last put one together.

Edit: Found this picture: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MYsIuqeU2Ic/TUPYP2LUg0I/AAAAAAAAAWU/j5GTLSVerZc/s1600/baalpredator.jpg

You'd have to trim the plastic nubs on the rear hatch area and then possibly file down the back metal plate so it's flushed against the tapered edged on the front. Doable and pretty simple conversion.

Still remember it being a pain getting the two L-shaped hull pieces to line up the way I wanted them to.

Archived