MINX STUDIO- Brother Marcus for Golden Throne 2014(done!)

Minx

Looking great so far, and I'm very impressed with the detail on the chest. How did you sculpt the lines that thin?

Its a lot of patience. You need to roll out a really thin sausage, cut it a bit before, apply it, then flatten and cut segments of it to get the sharp finish

WOW man!

That sculpt is awesome..

I'm sure this project will grow into something epic..

I see you went for something in between the old visions of the armour and the most recent HH cover artworks.

Especially for the legs I get an hint of dante's slim fit with more solid feet.

I've a whole army of custodes (and sisters of silence) myself but being mainly a kit basher with poor to average sculpting skills (and very little time to practice) my way passed through fantasy elder leaving a certain frailty to the big boys frame. XD

Are you going to give them various "skirts" capes and tabards or what else?

Is this going to be the master for a multi component doll? :)

Well, the legs have gotten such good reviews that we may very well make some kits out of this, not specific like custodes, but create some legs, torsos and so on as individual components... not sure yet, as we have a lot of other stuff in development, but its a possibility!

As for robes-> Yep :)

I'm REALLY excited to see this, from the chest piece alone it looks like the basis of an awesome sculpt.

Given the great job of the Carcharadon Marine you just pulled a masterful job on... I'm so looking forward to seeing a custodes!

Im glad you guys are excited, we will likely be looking into casting it for sale, or at least casting the leg design, depends if the final product is too similar to GWs concepts or not, or whatever :P

I will have another update tonight likely :) Maybe not robes today, i thought he was doing them but he added more to the torso and legs instead!

@daemonclaw, white stuff is magic sculpt, we casted the basic GW torso as a base to save construction, however we modify it and carve it up so that it is not a GW part in the end. The grey stuff is Super Sculpey Firm+Fimo Classic(skin colour) and it doesnt cure until baked, which is why we cant use a plastic body. It blends very well. 

@MrChaos, first impressions can be deceiving ;)

Well, the legs have gotten such good reviews that we may very well make some kits out of this, not specific like custodes, but create some legs, torsos and so on as individual components... not sure yet, as we have a lot of other stuff in development, but its a possibility!

As for robes-> Yep smile.png

Cash or Credit?

@ MINX: In regards to the casting, you would need to re-sculpt the entire piece, incl the groin and feet, as casting them using the GW parts would be illegal in most parts.

Cheers,

Jono

Depending on the further adjustments we make, the parts would simply be understructure, like a tinfoil ball, or a block of putty, and will not reflect GW IP what so ever. 

But we will see, before I do anything with it I would consult a lawyer.

@Reckoning, we will have an e-store soon enough, so either! :P

@death, It is certainly a nice point of detail :)

More progress on Brother Marcus...

We have added more details, scratch sculpted shoulder pads and the weapon.. We have begun the back reactor, and will eventually cover the crotch and butt with robes!

1604403_418051854997760_1548260045_n.jpg

1964809_418051911664421_1397777800_n.jpg

1891241_418051891664423_1149953451_n.jpg

1966824_418052031664409_513144649_n.jpg

Wow!

So do I have this understanding correct. The "grey" material is the FIMO, layered on top of two part epoxy and when you are finished you will bake the entire figure in a ________ and it will come out Ok? Will you do the robes in FIMO as well, or regular GS?

This whole process fascinates me.

Archived