Captain Sicarius - First Attempt

TheStizz

Hi Everyone.  Im new to forum and i am quite new to painting 40k miniatures.  I have only painted a couple of chaos lords before in black legion colours but thats it so i decided to have a go at something a little more detailed so here is my first Space Marines HQ.  Captain Sicarius.  

I am looking to better myself as a painter so any comments and advice would be appreciated. Apologies for the camera quality, i dont have a decent camera and currently using my phone.

Stizz

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz279/thestizz40k/Sicarius_zpsda061a36.jpg

I think there is some good brush control there with the variuos surfaces clearly defined. The face also looks well made and the hairline again well defined.

What I'd suggest would be to add a bit on highlighting and shading on the armour. Right now the various recesses look a bit flat and the definition of the metal areas needs to be a bit more sharp in my view.

For shading the blue armour recessed areas I'd try out the Guilliman shade - water it down to your liking, depending on how sharp you'd like to contrast to be. Then you need to find an approprite highlighing color - a lighter shade of blue. Avoid mixing your base blue with white - I find this sheldom leads to a nice result...

For the gold I'd use Agrax Earhtshade that will pronounce the metal area quite a bit but also take the shine away. So once the shade is completely dry, try highlighting it with eitherthe same gold you used as the base or an even lighter gold - Auric Gold is a good one...

Last comment is about white. Now this is a difficult color to use on its own... Use it too thinly and the undelying color will show. Use it too heavily and unwanted texture may emerge (partially visible in the cape). I suggest that you use a grey as an undercoat - Ulthuan grey is fantastic as it's almost white and gives the opportunity to be highlighted with white - something impossible to do if you use white straight...

Anyway, try some techniques on some older minis if you have any - the only way to really achieve better results is though tial and error... and the occasional risk taking! :D

Cpt. Semper hits it on the spot with your "brush control", you've done a fantastic job keeping your paintjob clean, every area is the color it should be, you've clearly put good effort into it.

There are a lot directions you can improve future (or this) paintjob now to further improve upon your solid skill-fundament. Semper already points out a lot of them. I absolutely agree that the next techniques you should look into now are highlighting and shading.

Do you require more general guidance, or more elaboration on any of the other steps? Ask away in any case.

Again, a very solid paintjob already you've done there! Could you try to make a better picture of the head? I'm curious to see the face in more detail.

What Semper said, but also, i'd paint the base a different colour than black. You have a tannish brown for ground and gold throughout the model so to tie it together I would paint it a darkish Brown. I typically use graveyard earth but i don't know what the modern equivalent is.

Nice work on that banner, your scroll looks very smooth and thats a tricky colour to do. Keep Painting. 

Archived