Quad Lascannon rules on VWB vs Redoubt

minigun762

Doesn't the VWB have to shoot the nearest enemy unit?  I thought that was the big drawback to them.  They didn't need manning, but you couldn't control what they shoot at.

Edit:  Found a copy of Stronghold Assault...

Sentry Defence System:  A building with this special rule can use automated fire against enemy units, even if it is unoccupied. In addition, enemy units can shoot at and charge a building with this special rule, even if it is unoccupied.

Automated Fire:  each emplaced weapon that is not being fired manually automatically fires at the nearest enemy unit within range and line of sight.

So you could find your nice AA shots have to fire at that irritating massive unit of Ork Boyz that are standing right in front of it.

Even on Interceptor mode, it'll have to shoot the nearest enemy unit that arrived from reserves that turn.

Primary Target: Emplaced weapons on a Firestorm Redoubt that have the Sky fire special rule must fire at the nearest enemy Flyer or Flying Monstrous Creature unit within range and line of sight. If no enemy unit of either of these types is within range or line of sight, that emplaced weapon must instead fire at the nearest enemy unit within range and line of sight.

The Redoubt however does prioritise Flying units, but you'll still have to shoot the nearest Zooming Flyer or Swooping Monster.

In fact it can only shoot at non-flying units if there are no flying units.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of anything I can't control.

No problem.

That pretty much sums up Automated Fire - a bad thing.  Especially when you can't choose to use Manual Fire.

The Redoubt is better, but still not spectacular if you want control over what your models shoot at.

"Closest enemy unit" does not equal good target priority (most of the time anyway).

Archived