Iron hands chapter master is a beast!

march10k

...not a very friendly choice at all!  I played against Iron Hands tonight, and the centerpiece was the chapter master on a bike with some named weapon.  He somehow has T5, 4 wounds, 2+/3++, 4+ FNP, EW, and it will not die.  Yowzers!  My opponent also had a L2 libby in artificer with bio powers 1,6, two dreads, two ironclads, a pred, a vindie, two techies, and three or four ten man las/plas squads.  Holy Guano, Robin!!!

So on the top of turn one, he stuns one of my crusaders.  Rather than splitting them up, I don't move either one, and torrent the chapter master that he's shoved in my face instead.  Takes a wound and fails his IWND at the end, so far so good.  Turn two, he meltas belial's track and then sticks a meltabomb on it, but it lives (don't remember the exact rolls).  So I DWA the two tactical termie squads on the bottom of turn two, use the crusaders to shape LOS so that only the chapter master and my libby (rocking psychic shriek) can see one another, and dismount the two thundernator squads.  I torrent the libby off the board and shriek the master for a 15!  5 wounds!  Only two of them stick.  Really?  Ugh.  Well, he's on his last wound, and that stupid gorgon's chain or whatever is all powered down and stuff, so he's a bit squishier.  I'm not sure I need to, but nothing else is in charge range, so I shove both thundernator squads at him.  He takes one guy with him, but 24 TH swings later, exactly two wounds stick.  I actually did need ten charging terminators to peel the last wound off this guy.  Man, he's a monster!

Anyway, after that, termies and marines started dropping like flies, and a pieplate scattered onto the libby, killing him, but not before his PFG saved three penetrating and four glancing hits on my tanks.  Then the tanks both went down (he had, besides the vindie, seven lascannons, two of them TL, plus a missile).  In the end, we both got warlord, both got two of the 5 objectives, both killed two heavies (big guns mission), and I ended up winning on linebreaker plus first blood, with two units of two termies left alive versus about nine marines, both of  his tanks, and one of his dreads.  Awesome game with tons of carnage.

C:UM is pretty mean with some of the stuff it can do with named characters (or chapter masters) and chapter tactics, but I've managed to go 2-0-1 against it this year, though always by the slimmest of margins.

Sounds like a fantastic fun game was had by both of you! Well done on the win wink.png

Iron hands are not to be sneezed at, in both 40k and 30k they do mech lists exceptionally well.

Close games are always more memorable. Which means when a DA wins it's even sweeter!

The Sons of Ferrus are a worthy fight; congratulations on the win. I have noticed a pattern of predictability, where a Chapter Master is almost always on a bike, Artificer Armour, that damned shield, thunder hammer, and whatever fluff relic they can get on with... So when I hear that a Brother from The Rock drops pain on them, it warms my second heart. :)

My iron hands batrep had the same thing happen. I wasn't lucky enough to kill his warlord, like you did, but there is more that one way to handle him.

Anyway congrads that isn't a easy feat. Against the deathwing the bike doesn't count for much besides extra movement. Place that same IH CM in a unit of thunderhammers and it becomes a killing machine.

especially when he arrogantly puts him up without a bodyguard.

...which he did.  I'm not sure about the rad grenade.  Getting past his T5 wasn't really a problem, it was the 2+ armor, 4+ FNP, and the 5+ IWND.  It really took a full turn of torrenting to make a single wound stick, and then I was lucky to get a 15 on psychic shriek for two more, and two from ten charging termies.  That's a stupid amount of pain for only making 5 wounds stick (he had 4), it's insane that he would have only been down to his last wound (or not, his saves were significantly compromised by the wounds he took from psychic shriek) if he'd still had three wounds when half of my army charged in with S8 AP2 weapons.

My BA/SW friend plays a Wolf Lord on a bike,SS, TH, EW and hangs them with a BA Term Libby and 5 termies with Corbulo out front to LOS some MAJOR shenanigans. I can put my whole armies shooting into his unit for two turns and am lucky to kill anything more than a termie or two.  

Like your opponent's IW Lord, it is a bit redonculous and a wee bit abusive of the games mechanics. 

I have found that the humble LSV and flanking RWBK/CSs are good for culling his meat shield from the rear away from Corbulo giving me only the Lord to have to face, but even then I am usually busy by that time with the rest of his army and he runs amok. 

Maybe I should ally in a Consecrators counts as IW lord set up the same to hammer his hammer, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but that is not really my style ;) I'd rather learn to stop him with our tools.

Pyro's point is a good one to bear in mind against the Iron Hand Chapter Master though. If you hit him with a rad grenade he won't get his Feel no Pain roll against anything of S8 or above (ie thunder hammers and power fists).

If he is in a unit, the best thing is either avoid him or kill his buddies and make try and get.him to break. Must people have him with a relic blade (I think) plus the other crap that makes him cost a lot. So anyone with 2+ save should be able to draw a challenge leaving your unit to kill his and make a break check at -ld. Then sweep and kill him

O also don't forget our overpriced special sword that can have ID also.

Pyro's point is a good one to bear in mind against the Iron Hand Chapter Master though. If you hit him with a rad grenade he won't get his Feel no Pain roll against anything of S8 or above (ie thunder hammers and power fists).

Good point...one less save is always a good thing!

If he is in a unit, the best thing is either avoid him or kill his buddies and make try and get.him to break. Must people have him with a relic blade (I think) plus the other crap that makes him cost a lot. So anyone with 2+ save should be able to draw a challenge leaving your unit to kill his and make a break check at -ld. Then sweep and kill him

just remember you cant sweep the emperor's favored sons, we're talking marines here not chaos.

out of curiosity how do they get 4+ FNP?

just remember you cant sweep the emperor's favored sons, we're talking marines here not chaos.

Iron Hands Chapter Tactics per the new codex.

Iron Hands Chapter Tactics per the new codex.

that is a 6+ in C:SM

Is 4+ in the IH  supplement?

that is a 6+ in C:SM

Is 4+ in the IH  supplement?

Oh snap forgot its 6+. There is a War Lord trait in Raukann that gives +1 to FNP and then the Gorgon's Chain gives +1 so that would be a 4+.

Not to mention Raukann librarians can take, are you ready for this, a FORCE thunder hammer. Yes S8 AP2 Concussive Force melee weapon.  

Yes, that's about 400 points...that can be shoved in the enemy's face and counted on to completely disrupt his plan while harvesting 5-600 points (most of the time) and keep him busy till the next wave, four dreadnoughts, two of them ironclads, arrive.  At the end of turn two, while I had killed both HQs (and killing the chapter master is RARE), I was still sitting in my deployment zone with an army that needs to be in the enemy deployment zone on turn two.  I reached into his deployment zone on turn five.  With a crusader that died on the top of turn six, and two (out of four that would survive the game) thundernators.  Even though I eked out a victory on the strength of linebreaker and first blood, the effect of the chapter master was that I put 340 points across into his deployment zone on turn five instead of 1850 points on turn two.  

/edit/

I really don't see much point in playing iron hands if you're not fielding this chapter master...it's certainly not worth it for the other goodies they get, like 6+ FNP or sexed up techmarines.

Archived