Techmarine - Have I got this right?

Okay, so if I run a techmarine, probably on bike, behind my Landraider as it advances, and he has a Power Field Generator, can I use the 4++ on my Landraider and restore hull points with the Techmarine, just to make it that much harder to destroy?

As far as I can tell there's nothing wrong with that but I'm a bit unsure about the PFG on nearby vehicles above all else.

Just checking, keeping my Crusader alive is often pivotal to my games.

Thanks.

Not only that, but he only has one wound...a librarian is ten points more for a bonus wound, and he gets a psychic power instead of the low-success-rate repair.  OTOH, the best librarian power, prescience, has to be cast at the beginning of the movement phase, so it's useless for giving rerolls to a unit that's charging out of the tank...I've been using either flame breath (great for zipping off to nuke a scout squad that's camping a remote objective later in the game) or psychic shriek.  The bonus of psychic shriek is that you might get puppet master instead...but the shriek is good, too, since its short range is not an issue...if the contents of the land raider are in charge range, the libby is in shriek range!

does the power field generator protect vehicles?

If it's outside the vehicle and no more than 3" away, yes.

If it's inside a vehicle, no. (Ref. Dark Angels errata/FAQ April 2013)

[edit] These suggestions of a Ravenwing command squad are good, but if you have that unit you already have a 2 or 3  wound HQ model on a bike. In that scenario I would give the power field generator to the more resilient HQ model and hide the 1 wound techmarine inside the land raider.

Or does a techmarine on a bike unlock a Ravenwing command squad? That feels a bit wonky.

Don't have Codex at work so could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it says in the RWCS entry that they are not unlocked by a Techie.

Cheers

I

Or does a techmarine on a bike unlock a Ravenwing command squad? That feels a bit wonky.

Technically nothing prevents it.

The rules states "for each HQ choice on bike". The limitation "not for the tech nor for the servitors squad" is not present... So some argue that 2 servitors unlock you the RWCS as well but since the servitors are not on bikes...

So unless GW answer the FAQ we sent to them months ago, it's legal.

Technically nothing prevents it.

The rules states "for each HQ choice on bike". The limitation "not for the tech nor for the servitors squad" is not present... So some argue that 2 servitors unlock you the RWCS as well but since the servitors are not on bikes...

So unless GW answer the FAQ we sent to them months ago, it's legal.

Yeah but doesn't the grounds to field a techmarine say the same thing, meaning a techmarine is unlocked only if you have another HQ? and even then they don't take up an FOC slot, it's honestly been so long since I've brought one and I've only ever fielded them in addition to my normal HQ (to do exactly what the OP is suggesting).

All this discussion of things that could be added to a PFG-bearing biker to make it MOAR awesome reeks of bloat...it really comes down to the role you want them to play.  If you want an actual fighting unit with a mission of its own, then, yeah, adding a RWCS is awesome.  If you want a 4++ save on your precious tanks, then 105-115 points is all you should spend.  And if you do expand into a command squad that can go around wreaking havoc of its own (it better damned well do so, for what it costs!), then you're going to be in situations where you abandon the tanks early on to go off and do something else, and potentially even situations where you don't even deploy the bikes and the tanks together!  As for a dakkapole on a bike accompanying the libby to make the crusaders shoot more...not at all worth the points.  On the other hand, you can get a bike libby PFG bearer, three crusaders, and sixteen termies for 1850...and the termie squad in the middle CAN be a DWCS with the dakkapole, making for three dakkafied crusaders with the 4++ save (but not deathwing vehicle, sadly) and three thundernator squads inside (sadly, only two of them scoring).  There are trade-offs no matter what path you choose, but if I were going to take a dakkapole for my PFGed crusaders, it would be riding inside of one, not behind where it's more vulnerable.

"Or does a techmarine on a bike unlock a Ravenwing command squad? That feels a bit wonky."

Although it is highly likely it is just a case of GW's sloppy semantics, it would appear that by RAW a Techmarine can unlock a Ravenwing Command Squad:

1. Select one HQ choice for your Warlord (mounted or not)

2. Warlord HQ unlocks Techmarine (for whom you purchase a bike)

From Ravenwing Command Squad Entry:

"For each HQ choice in your army that is mounted on a bike (or Sammael, but not including other Ravenwing Command Squads)...

Given the wording in the other 2 command squad entries which prohibit it, it is certainly not RAI, but at least you could make a fluff argument for it. If I had a guy driving around with an archaic piece of forgotten technology that put up a invulnerable force field around my attack force of priceless landraiders, you could be pretty sure I would give him an elite bodyguard detail to ensure he got where he was going :).

To the point about whether the Techmarine or the Librarian is the better "bubble bearer", one point in the Techmarine's favor is the 2+ save, which as a solo rider still carries a lot of weight in a Heldrake or AP3 prone battlefield. Not as offensive as the Librarian but certainly more durable.

If you're just using them as ablative wounds anyways then you could use a regular RWAS instead and avoid the argument entirely. In a list like that I doubt you're using all your fast attack slots anyways.

Thanks for all the replies, which I somehow missed over the last 2 days. I really wasn't sure if the PFG protected vehicles from the outside but now I know it does my wallet is weeping at the thought of getting another Crusader.

I usually run the CS on foot in the Crusader rather than RWCS because I prefer taking Azrael to Sammael in lots of my lists. I personally don't feel like the Techmarine should unlock a Command Squad so I don't feel right taking one with it. When I have the points apre for a Librarian I usually run 2 RWCS with Sammael and the Librarian.

Shroud of Heroes is a cool idea for a lone biker, pricey though. Don't think I would want to invest that many points in a model with so few wounds.

Going to have to try a few things out, which will be difficult at the moment as WH Fantasy seems to be the norm here lately.

Thanks again.

Archived