+The Path of Sorrow+

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110318022046/warhammer40k/images/5/55/Lamenters_Livery.jpg

Sergeant Kasyade, once of the 5th Company of the Lamenters Chapter, watched with heavy hearts as the broken bodies of his squad were set upon the deck of the Vagabond class merchant trader that he and the handful of other survivors had commandeered during their escape from Malovlion. Gently and reverently, Brother Kavis began to peel away sections of scarred, dull aureate plate from his kinsman's body, creating two separate piles; armour that could be reused, and ceramite so broken or acid eaten that it had become unsalvagable. Another Brother, Haemon, scrounged through their kit, looking for anything that could be used. In different times, the honoured dead would have been given their proper dues in the depths of the Mater Lachrymarum before being laid to rest in the deep black, with full ceremony, as per the Lamenters ancient traditions. Now? The dead were bagged and kept in a cold storage facility, their belongings divided amongst the handful of brothers still breathing, with only simple prayers for forgiveness for treating their kin and former possessions as such. Tearing his eyes away from the necessary sacrilege, Kasyade looked to the rest of the bay, making a head count of those who lived as they set about the grim task of unloading caskets of warplate, weaponry, ammunition, chainsword tracks, and anything else the survivors had been able to rescue before the Strike Cruiser Mater Suspiria had died. He counted thirty-one Lamenters before him, not counting Calix-Priest Izra'il, who was currently caring for six others whose hearts were now black and their sight red, chained to the deck of a different hold, chemically induced into suspended animation to keep them from tearing every living thing on board the ship into pieces.

'Thirty-nine', thought Kasyade. 'Our line will not recover from this'. There was one other Astartes who had escaped with them as well, but he was not one of Sanguinius's blood, nor was he welcome in the company of The Sorrow. As if on cue, the bay aperture slid open, Calix-Priest Izra'il stepping into the company of his brethren, followed by a Transhuman in plate the color of rich wine, so similar to their parent Chapter, yet so different. A human skull sat upon one shoulder, inset with a crossed 'I' upon it's brow. A slave to the Inquisition, a minder of the cursed and condemned Lamenters, Brother-Lieutenant Matiaes of the Red Hunters. How the bastard had survived the wave of Tyrannid bio-warriors that had flooded the Strike Cruiser was unknown, but he had found their Thunderhawk prior to take off from the doomed ship, and had simply strode aboard, so sure of himself and his brethren's mission to drive the Lamenters into the jaws of Hell. Even now, standing on the deck of a appropriated ship, before an order of condemned brothers who were still reeling from the magnitude of their loss, he was unsympathetic and cold. “Status for redeployment.”, Matiaes demanded in an authoritarian voice. Demanded, and did so with a mind to return into combat immediately. Dark thoughts flickering in his skull, Kasyade did everything in his power not to shoot the heartless bastard. Instead, he addressed Izra'il. “Calix, how are our brothers?”

Izra'il, his dark brown eyes lined with stress and misery, simply shook his head. “They sleep, though I am unsure how long the sedatives will work. The Rage is still such an unknown factor to our order, I am at a loss how to deal with it without a Chaplain. Though I have silenced their bodies, their brainwaves are wild, and they suffer from heavy rapid eye movement. I wouldn't dare to guess what they dream of, though it is most assuredly traumatic.” Before he could say anymore, Matiaes physically pushed the Calix-Priest to the side. The Lamenters held a great level of respect for the Calix Priesthood; to see one treated as such raised the already-extreme tension in the small dock to a breaking point. Kasyade saw Malik, the only member of their group who wore the half-mask of the 1st Company, place his hand upon the hilt of his Glaive Encarmine in response. The Red Hunter ignored the threat. “The conversation about how badly flawed and corrupted your bloodline is can wait for a proper investigation. Now, status for immediate redeployment.”

Kasyade couldn't stop himself from laughing bitterly. “Our Chapter is dead, our fleet broken and scattered. What else do you need to know?” He walked over to one of the armament caskets that were being emptied, dragging a bulky, ancient chestpiece out of it's hold. Though the Mark III plate was in good condition, it was readily apparent that it was ancient, the deep red paint scuffed and worn, the heraldry of the IX Legion inscribed on it's interior. “Our warplate is in ruins, and what little we were able to save before the Mater Suspiria died was most likely worn when our Father still stood atop the walls of blessed Terra, or the Decade of Misery afterwards. Everything else was stolen by the Minotaurs.” He dropped the plate back into the casket, turning to face Matiaes. “Our ammunition is nearly at critical, and our motor pool consists of two battered Thunderhawks; two Stormravens, one of which may never fly again; a Baal-pattern Predator; a Razorback; and two Rhinos. We stand at less than half a Company, all wounded or walking the Black Dream. We stand aboard an barely armed and armoured Mechant ship we boarded forcefully, whose crew is suffering from debilitating fear. No hails to any other ship of The Sorrow has been answered, except the ghost-echos of the recently dead. Our last view of Malovlion was of the Chapter Barque dying and falling towards the planet. We are, for all intents and purposes, combat-ineffective. We may very well be the last of the Lamenters.”

Matiaes was unfazed. “I will strengthen the Ship Captain's resolve. Re-arm and re-armour the penitents, and put a bolt into those things you have chained to the hold. We return to Malovlion immediately.”

A quiet, but firm whisper was heard. “No.”

All eyes turned towards Izra'il, as he stood from one of the weapons caskets. A beautifully crafted Storm Bolter rest in his hands, a chapter relic unused since the terrible events of Slaughterhouse III; The Choir of Angels. The wrist mounted weapon snapped into place, and he began setting a fully loaded drum of bolt rounds into it's sacred well. He did not bother to look up from his activity, as he slowly checked the action and arming runes. “We are dying, and will not waste what little strength we have fighting a battle we have no chance of surviving. The Blood calls to us, and we cannot pass from the Emperor's Light before we have made the sins committed against the Chapter right again. This is far more important than dead Malovlion”

Matiaes's lip curled. “You are sworn by the Penitent's Oath, Priest. You cannot look away, for every other direction you might face is blasphemy in the God-Emperor's eyes. You have no choice in the matter.”

Izra'il's eyes turned upward, fury replacing misery on his face. “We will not die like this. Not while the monster who condemned my Chapter, and an entire sector, still draws breath. We are going into the Maelstrom, to find the Tyrant and every one of his poisoned kin and wipe them from existence, while we still can. If we are to die, then it will be to ensure that the man who murdered billions with his arrogance is brought to justice. We will not be chained to the Inquisition's whims any longer, to die as they please. There is nothing you can do to stop us.”

A sigh passed Matiaes's lips, as he drew his bolt pistol. “Then your decision is made, and I will inform my superiors through astropathic message, after your summary execution. The Lamenters shall be declared Excommunic...urk...” Slowly, the Red Hunter looked to his chest, to find the tip of a stunning ten thousand year old blade jutting through the Inquisitorial seal resting atop his pierced breastbone. Rich blood poured from the wound, and flowed freely from his mouth. With shaking effort, he turned his head, looking into the silver half-mask of Malik, a single tear cut from ruby resting just below the eye of a long-dead demi-god.

“We are beholden to none, except the Emperor and the Primarch. If you were a real Astartes, and not the puppet-slave of a corrupt institution, you would know that.” Malik twisted the Glaive with a crunch, sending spasms through Matiaes's frame, and let the Red Hunter slide off the blade onto the deck with the sound of crashing ceramite.

Izra'il went to a knee before Matiaes, looking him in the eye as he spoke. “I am sorry, cousin, but it must be like this. The Great Angel bestowed upon his sons many responsibilities, one of them being 'blood for blood'. We go into the Storm, with our Father's rage and fury in our hearts, for justice in the name of those the Tyrant murdered with his betrayal. I will avenge your death with my own, when the time comes, but not until Huron lies dead at our feet. You have my oath. Go in peace, Matiaes of the Red.”

Izra'il waited until the Red Hunter heaved his last breath through lungs full of blood, before standing to address his brothers.”I make this decision on my own, though it seems, unexpectedly, that Malik is with me. Should any of you wish to turn away from this path, speak now, and we shall find a place to part from each others' company in peace, so that you can search for any other survivors. Before you go, be aware that there is every possibility that we are the last of The Sorrow, and that the suffering of every innocent life lost during the Badab War will haunt you as you travel the Imperium alone, searching for the bones of our long-dead brothers. If we are to die, then it should be with our hands wrapped around the throats of those we hate. But, we will not sully the names of our brothers, should they live; from this moment onwards, we shall be The Broken. Our hearts black with hate, our blood cold with fury, our minds of one purpose; the death of the Monster of Badab. So, speak freely. Who turns from this path of sanctified rage?”

Brother Kavis, standing next to the cold bodies of the dearly departed, raised his voice first. “For the Angel, I walk the path.”

Malik removed his helm, exposing a face so much like the Father they had never met. “For the Angel, I walk the path.”

“For the Angel, I walk the path.”, spoke Brother Haemon, tears in his eyes. Soon, it was a chant, low and devout; The last rites over the corpse of their order, in memory of their kin, and the death of their hope, in exchange for vengeance.

“For the Angel, I walk the path.”

“For the Angel, I walk the path.”

For the Angel, I walk the path.

+++To Be Continued+++

gallery_37532_9334_139898.png

Brother Kavis, W.I.P.

My son drug me back, kicking and screaming. Amusingly, he prefers his Chaos Space Marines. He's also been reading some of my sourcebooks, guess which ones? laugh.png

Half of the joy in the hobby is spending it with my sons, painting and gaming. So here I stand, somewhat unwilling, but determined; no sense in half-measures.

Make of that as you will. I make no apologies.

Don't worry, heathens, I was only poking fun at you, nothing serious ;) And if you can enjoy your favourite hobby with your son, even if it means coming back to the world of 40k, then so be it. I'm not one to judge the decisions of my peers* :)

*though poking fun at them is something that I'll continue to do, no matter what :P

My son drug me back, kicking and screaming. Amusingly, he prefers his Chaos Space Marines. He's also been reading some of my sourcebooks, guess which ones? laugh.png

Half of the joy in the hobby is spending it with my sons, painting and gaming. So here I stand, somewhat unwilling, but determined; no sense in half-measures.

That's a good dad right there, I hope to one day have a kid I can spend time with enjoying a hobby such as this

Kudos

a bit shocked to see you turn your face towards 40k again, but it is a damn honourable reason you do it for.

you're a true inspiration.

any chance we'll see these not-lamenters kill the king of a thousand heathens?

I see only source of rejoice as Heathens is taking over a new project. As usual your fluff is excellent, and the mini promising.  Looking forward to seeing some paint on it, Lamenters are tricky.

For the Angel, I walk the path. :)

Just enjoy 40k how you want to enjoy it, fella. You already know what you like and what you want, just expand that and enjoy both era's of our grimy future. 

I look forward to how you envision the Sergeant, my mind automatically jumped to the guy on the bottom left.

http://img11.nnm.me/b/3/3/6/a/d7ad0eb5b1f1b040730e5fa01f5.jpg

Oh, and Matiaes had balls of steel. 

So you dragged me into HH and now you are looking over your shoulder as you skip into Badab.

Sigh...

Note: I just read the story again. Brilliant.

Considering my former rabid foaming and snarling as 6th edition unfolded, I'm shocked and humbled by y'all's responses. Thank you for your support.

Heathens I knew you would go down this path, grim dark at it's finest & a true testament to everything that has come before.

For the Angel!

Who are you kidding, I didn't even know I was going down this path! :lol: Thank you, man.

Good stuff.
Good, good stuff.

Thank you, my fellow Cursed Founding Mod. :P

Do what gamesworkshop may to the fluff and the rules, it's only when their actions kill the enthusiasm of the people we share the hobby with that they truly effect the hobby. Good to see you back, with centres of focus like you in the hobby Grimdarkness will never die and that's a good thing.

It was hard to turn away from what i loved, but so many things changed. I'd be lying if I didn't say my return has more to do with my love of playing against my boys than it does reconciling with the ongoing aesthetics of 6th edition 40k. I'll concede that the Knights are pretty awesome though.

Don't worry, heathens, I was only poking fun at you, nothing serious msn-wink.gif And if you can enjoy your favourite hobby with your son, even if it means coming back to the world of 40k, then so be it. I'm not one to judge the decisions of my peers* smile.png

*though poking fun at them is something that I'll continue to do, no matter what tongue.png

I know brother, didn't take it serious, lol. Expect me to poke back, though.

That's a good dad right there, I hope to one day have a kid I can spend time with enjoying a hobby such as this

Kudos

It went a little like this:

1 yr old, he tried to eat a mini, and I was worried.

3 yr old, he was 'pew pew'-ing with my mini's and broke about a half-dozen, and I was upset

6 yr old, he wanted to paint toys with daddy, and I was happy

8 yr old, he got a full 1000 pts built and played our first game, and we were both excited.

10 yr old, he kicked my butt at a 1000 pt game, and I was proud.

It's indeed a great feeling to spend quality time together with something we both love. Our only problem is finding a balance between the hobby, hunting, and fishing. :D

So... Lamenters but not Lamenters? I'm intrigued!

Quite, but not quite. You'll just have to see. ;)

Easily some of the best fan fiction i have read in a long time, just awesome! Seriously great job!

Thank you, sir.

any chance we'll see these not-lamenters kill the king of a thousand heathens?

That's a maybe. I've definetley given thought to a confrontation with Akan. We shall see.

Great! More of heathens mini goodness.

Thank you!

One of us... one of us... Haha.

This is gonna be good!

So you're just making a Kill Team? Or will this evolve into a small 500 point force or something?

Not sure yet. We'll start with a Kill Team, and see where we go from there. I'm still a little gun shy about the 41st millennium.

Sublime fluff Heathens, I particularly liked when the Inquisition lapdog was shown how a Glaive Encarmine works. Live as a slave, die like a dog.

I could not say it better. Glory to the Angel.

I see only source of rejoice as Heathens is taking over a new project. As usual your fluff is excellent, and the mini promising. Looking forward to seeing some paint on it, Lamenters are tricky.

For the Angel, I walk the path. smile.png

*stares nervously at the checkered shoulderpad* Um...yeah. A bit worried myself, lol. I'll do my best, brother.

Heathens is back in 40K (however unwilling) and doing what he does best.
Looking forward to seeing more of these gents, because they're going to be stellar biggrin.png

*Low bow* Thank you!

Just enjoy 40k how you want to enjoy it, fella. You already know what you like and what you want, just expand that and enjoy both era's of our grimy future.

I look forward to how you envision the Sergeant, my mind automatically jumped to the guy on the bottom left.

*snip*

Oh, and Matiaes had balls of steel.

Malik's Helm is gonna be quite a conversion, no joke. I love that old BA cover, wish i could get a poster of that. And Matiaes had arrogance, not courage. He paid for it in full.

So you dragged me into HH and now you are looking over your shoulder as you skip into Badab.

Sigh...

Note: I just read the story again. Brilliant.

Naw, my 30k Iron Warriors are still my babies, just... making a slight detour.

Your Son is a good lad. Like where this is going

Thank you!

Awwwww yiiissss

Cheers,

Jono

*High five*

I didn't say it was courage, you still have to be mighty iron nutted to talk like that around dudes who can blood frenzy at any given second! 

I'm looking very forward to see how you do Malik, man. 

Best of luck in this project :)

Archived