Flyer with power of the machine spirit.

To get to the bones of the question. I have a Storm eagle, kitted out with twin melta and 2 twin las cannons with the vengeance launcher.

If I shoot the melta and las at another flyer can I fire the vengeance launcher at a ground unit with power if the machine spirit?

As I don't have the BRB about. As I recall. It is the unit that must elect to fire using skyfire and nit the weapon. So if I fire at another flyer the POTMS shot would then be a snap shot and the vengeance launcher is a blast weapon which cannot be snap shot.

Hope I've made the question a little clearer than muddy water. L.

So if I fire at another flyer the POTMS shot would then be a snap shot and the vengeance launcher is a blast weapon which cannot be snap shot.

Correct.

PotMS says "the vehicle can fire one more weapon at its full Ballistic Skill than normally permitted. In addition, this weapon can be fired at a different target

unit to any other weapons, subject to the normal rules for shooting" (emphasis mine).

Flyer rules say "Flyers can choose whether or not to use the Skyfire special rule at the start of each Shooting phase. They don't have to use the Skyfire special rule but, if they do, all weapons they fire that turn are treated as having the Skyfire special rule."

Skyfire says "Unless it also has the Interceptor special rule, it can only fire snap shots against other targets"

A zooming flyer may shoot 4 weapons at full BS (which could be 1 if it's stunned/shaken etc.), the remainder of it's weapons fire as snap-shots.

PotMS allows you to fire 1 additional weapon (at a seperate target if you like) at full BS (which could be 1 if stunned/shaken etc.) for a total of 5 weapons at full BS.

However, the Vengeance Launcher in question is a blast weapon, which cannot be fired as a snap shot.

When your shooting phase starts each flyer must declare whether it is going to be firing using the skyfire rules or not.

The Storm Eagle lacks Interceptor.

So, if you declare that you are using skyfire (in order to shoot at an enemy flyer) that applies to all weapons on the model, meaning that the Vengeance Launcher can only snap-fire against a ground target (using PoTMS, as it lacks interceptor), and as it's a blast weapon - that means it cannot fire at all.

A blast weapon also may not target flyers as per the flyer rules.

Therefore, if you choose to fire your Multi-melta and Lascannons at an enemy flyer, you cannot shoot the Vengeance Launcher at all!

[Off Topic]

Don't worry, it still is.

Access to a Multi-melta, two twin-linked lascannons and (effectively) a Whirlwind Missile Launcher.  Plus a massive transport capacity, the assault vehicle special rule, and it looks cool to boot.

It can do pretty much anything rather well, and is fairly priced in terms of points.  I advise you to check out Mughi's battle reports in the Liber Victorum to see how good they can be, he's an experienced gamer and seems to have a good track record with them.

[/Off Topic]

Archived