Factoid for Khornate Followers

So, I learned something new today.

Apparently, if you torture someone long enough and hard enough, their blood literally breaks down to the point where it remains red after it dries.

This effect lasts about 700 to 2,000 years, depending on what you make of the origins of the Shroud of Turin (DO NOT turn this thread into a religious commentary/debate, this was only mentioned to give the possible longevity of the effect a reference point), and is clearly visible in full natural lighting.

I just figured that some fluff-bunnies here might have some grisly use for that, eh?

The claim of the shroud of turin is that the light of jesus' resurrection burned the markings into the cloth, not that he bled a picture of his face onto it. Also its not red, its a barely visible pale brown. it only looks red when you see photos online as they enhance the pictures to show the markings. 

Also as it was faked in the 1300's its unlikely the markings were made with blood let alone the blood of a victim of extreme torture. Torturing someone just so you can use their blood to fake a piece of cloth is a little brutal even for the church. 

I will apologize to the Moderati, as I was hoping that this discussion would not force me to backtrack to the Shroud itself, but it seems I must to clarify this tidbit of information.

Actually, what I posted has nothing to do with any burned images on the Shroud, it has to do with the bloodstains, which actually have been found as actual human blood, type AB. What this posits for how and when the Shroud was "created"(whatever you desire that word to mean) is of no consequence here.

This factoid mainly deals with bilirubin, the substance that occurs which allows blood to retain a reddish color in natural lighting (note, not in photographs or in other lighting, it remains brown). This is true of torture victims in present day cases as well, and is a known part of forensic science.

I'm not sure if you intend the word "factoid" as a diminutive of "fact", but a factoid is actually something which only has the superficial appearance of a fact and is, on closer examination, not a fact at all (or at least not a verifiable one)

Anyway, if this were the case, would changes like this not have been documented in modern torture victims? Also there isn't any mechanism I'm aware of by which blood can retain its bright red colour unless the red blood cells inside it remain alive and healthy and oxygenated, which would be impossible after it begins to coagulate dry as far as I know - although I'm not a doctor and certainly not a haemotologist.

Yes, Ghost, it has been. It's only in (thankfully) rare cases of extreme prolongued torture though that this occurs, so don't expect hopsital sheets or most crime scenes to have this effect when viewed in daylight.

This factoid mainly deals with bilirubin, the substance that occurs which allows blood to retain a reddish color in natural lighting (note, not in photographs or in other lighting, it remains brown). This is true of torture victims in present day cases as well, and is a known part of forensic science.

bilirubin is a breakdown product of haeme and it is yellow. its why bruises go yellow. i've done several courses in forensic anthropology and while we don't normally focus on blood we do discuss it. blood is only ever red due to oxygenated iron the the haemoglobin

After doing some back-checking, I've realised that I completely misread the article, and managed to get the paragraph discussing bilirubin completely garbled in with the bit about ultraviolet analysis, which means that apparently we have no idea why the "bloodstains" whatever you want to call them, show up reddish in certain natural lighting, and I've been talking out my arse this whole time.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived